1970s-1980s National Geographic Appreciation Thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by JimmieWalker

Remember that one with that girl with the blue eyes? As vague as that is I know that you fools know what I'm talking about.

Just last year they had an issue with nearly the same cover. They actually found this anonymous girl fifteen or so years later in Afghanistan. They did a retina check or something, and it really was her. It's an interesting story how they found her. Pretty cool how they put her on the cover. They also did her life story, and you could tell the years haven't been that kind just by looking at her face.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by BROWNer

i actually heard things like that on the periphery...

could you explain a bit more mamerro?

They basically gathered a sampling of all the social extremes in PR and made it seem as if it was the norm. Almost an entire third of the article is dedicated to La Perla, a community in Old San Juan which is arguably the poorest and generally fucked-uppedest in the entire island. The place is a self-contained microcosm, an extreme oddity in PR. There are no shortage of ghettoes and projects in PR, but this place is a complete exception to the rule, yet the article seems to portray the community as being commonplace around the island.

The article then carries on to portray the entire middle-class community as corrupt tax evaders, who buy things they can't possibly afford with their salary after taxes. While a version of this has some truth to it (puertorricans are notorious for showing off a false impression of wealth, ie: Hyundai Accents with $2K rims on them), it by no means is the norm, especially in the middle class. The most ostentatious show offs in PR are the lower and higher class.

And the icing on the cake are the pictures (6-7 total). Some dude shooting up heroin, a guy slitting a rooster's throat in a Santería ritual, arrogant socialites with piles of makeup on their faces. I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who practices Santería in PR. Considering that on an island thats roughly 40 x 110 miles big, you are never more than 2-3 degrees of separation from anyone else, I don't know where the hell they got the idea that Santería is a common practice here. The picture is incredible though. Some of the others are spot-on perfect depictions of PR, like one picture of a girl celebrating her quinceañero (a special celebration held when girls turn 15), and two fishermen chilling by their boats at sunset. THAT'S Puerto Rico.

I don't wanna ramble anymore on the article, but the point is, they didn't say a single false thing in the article... they just blew things out of proportion and ignored some realities of PR life for the sake of an interesting read. There are other things they mentioned that are absolute truths, for example the whole place being obssessed with politics and letting politics influence almost every major decision. In a way, I understand that they want to provide gripping journalism and eye-opening stories, which is fine, but when an article is clearly defined and presented as a summary of the state of a nation (says it right on the cover), they should present the truthful average, not the extremes.

Archived