MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...

Just taking a sensus. What seems to be the best tools for painting HO scale peices? I seem to be making more of a mess with paint markers then I proffer. On the few shitters I have played around on, I know its sorta a bullshit question. But some stuff I have been seeing dosnt look like it was down with paint markers.

Big5 and company did some awesome pieces for a show we did about a year ago. they had some real clean fades inside the pieces and im not quite sure how they did it. these peices were to scale also, not the ginormous pieces writers usually do on models. if it was spray paint then yeah i have no clue. it will probably remain a trade secret. perhaps they were using empty cans.

• Like 1

Yeah,,That what i wantto do. Pieces to scale. Not just whole t2b e2e whole cares. But peices that look like they were done my a very tiny writer with tiny cans cans or paint. lol I have a few ideas. But think im gonna practice working real small for a change. Something Im just to used to these days, but have a back ground in. I can see how some guys get them self in neck deep into model trains.

I met this old guy the other day. He has a 2 car garage thats all one big gaint layout. He had pictures to show me and my jaw dropped. It just seemed unfathomable. It was a life times worth of work. I almost asked him how he felt about graff. As he was very into train culture. But refrained, as I didnt want him to look at me like I was some sorta asshole. But I bet judgeing from the massiveness of his set up not to mention attention to details. That he wouldnt mind having a few cars running with something on them. lol

I might get shit for saying this. But I almost feel like model trains with graff on them is a sub culture of a sub culture in the making.

The only ways I've seen it done is:

• picture, upload, print, decal

• mask, airbrush

• sable brush with hobby paint

and this is in reference to HO and N scale at to scale

Rustofills, it also depends on the era of the layout you saw. Some model RXR heads insist that graffiti on their trains are not allowed based on time era of the layout that they are building. Then others with modern layouts just refuse to include it because it's illegal, eye sore etc..

I've discussed this with a local RXR club and they won't have it

Zed, thanks for looking in and the comment on the BNSF project. I'll post the test paint practice there, GWRXR, and materials used. I haven't started the L&N yet. Your hopper conversion and weathering is outrageous real looking. Keep it up

• 2 weeks later...
agree , thanks for sharing the tech

what brand model car is it? I notice the separate ladder pieces. Some of my Athearn are molded in which I hate

Its a Athearn. I know what your sayen about the molded shit. It sucks. But I look at it like this. I have been taken close looks at them before I buy them.

The over molded cars are the ones you can run at full speed and not really worry about derailing to much. Unlike some others I have, if you fart near them, a ladder falls off.