Northwest Superthread II(without crappy flicks)

RATT

hey "gramamatron" sometimes i post romours i hear just to see all sides of the story, kinda like the national enquirer type shit, i dont even paint anymore so would have nothing to do wit it, just nosey and bored i guess?

imma try and group my shoebox loads of fliks together of nw shit like early 2ZC motorsports yard, stash, random portland old school,middle,new.

i got a piece "AEROSOL KING STASH" did in seattle 1987 that i gotta find so peace.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 58.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshu

• BRYSO DISCO

• buckbang

• oe800

Originally posted by gary glitter

Ha! i was right,,you do look up to jaber,,i dont care how up that dude is hes still a sucker toy, and if you think what you do is improving upon the styles that existed in the late 80's, your sadly mistaken,,let me put it to you this way toy, if we were in the matrix, writers like rey,soul,sneke,hews,....etc would all be chillin in Zion while you and your sucker friends would be plugged into a false reality!where you believe jaber is god. HA!you can go kill yourself now.

WORD!!!THAT SHIT IS FUNNY,I WANT TO SEE SOME EMERALD CITY KINGS,SOME DC3 WHEN HE WAS OUT THERE(BACK IN THE DAY).AND SOME MORE DVS-EDK FRESHNESS

Re: old school

REYS OLD SHIT SLAMS!!!!BUMP FOR THAT SHIT!!!!IVE ALWAYS ADMIRED REY FROM HIS OLD STUFF LIKE THIS TO NOW BIG UP FOR THE EDKILLER

Guest tragic

there is no edit for that post i dont know why, how the hell did i manage that.. oops just try to fill up the post to the next page......

Guest tragic
Guest KING BLING

Graffiti artists put protest in paint

06/23/03

CHAUNDRA PERKINS

The concrete columns of the Morrison Bridge loom as the sound of constant traffic grinds overhead. The dominant color is gray, except for the elaborate and colorful billboard fruits atop the former Corno's grocery store.

Some graffiti artists and a business owner want to change that scenery by painting murals on a quarter-block building on Southeast Morrison street west of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. But they've collided head-on with city sign and anti-graffiti codes, and the city responded last week by painting over their mural art.

Jason Brown and a group of artists are fighting back. Late Friday afternoon, they were painting again -- this time a political message from Mahatma Gandhi. It reads, "Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state becomes lawless and corrupt."

"They destroyed my art," said Brown, the owner of New American Casuals at 326 S.E. Morrison St., after the city painted over two murals last week. Brown rents space in the building but said building owner Thomas McDowell, who was not available for comment, authorized the murals.

The battle in the city's Central Eastside Industrial District illustrates the struggle between government regulation and freedom of artistic expression. Art Hendricks, who manages the crime-prevention program for the city's Office of Neighborhood Involvement, said the murals were considered graffiti, subject to removal if not approved under city sign codes.

Brown did not have a permit for the mural, painted three months ago, that was painted over by the city. He said he didn't know he needed one.

"I would have followed the rules had they been laid down to me and been respected by the people laying them down," Brown said. He said it would have cost him $1,600 to register the 250-square-foot mural.

The Bureau of Development Services issued Brown a citation in late May for failing to obtain a permit. This month, the city notified the property owner that it intended to remove what it considered graffiti.

The city said it was responding to complaints about the mural. Among those who complained is Walt Pelett, owner of the nearby City Liquidators store. Pelett said of Brown: "He calls it art; we call it graffiti."

Still, the artists said the sign codes smother their freedom, almost forcing them to find illegal ways to display their art.

"It's like declaring war," said Duke B. Pray, a 35-year-old artist who goes by the name of Bruno and who began as a tagger. "That's the worst thing you wanna do," he said. "We could start tagging all over the city. It only takes a second."

When the city came to paint over the mural last Tuesday, it also painted over a work in progress on the opposite side of the building. It had not sent a warning to the property owner that it would remove the second mural.

"Whatever tags are on the building we're going to clean," Hendricks said.

They painted over the completed mural with gray paint, and painted sporadic gray patches on the half-finished mural.

"Now it's really an eyesore," Brown said.

When artists came back to paint Gandhi's message Friday, they had to use mountain-climbing ropes to descend to the wall because Pelett wouldn't let them set scaffolding on his property, adjoining the building.

Brown said he wanted to give the artists an outlet and help them get recognition for their work.

"These are not illegal graffiti bombers, these are artists," he said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/metro/oregonian/...69301107390.xml