Work Sucks, but I'm addicted to Wal-Mart shit.

KaBar

I am far from straight edge. but Xanax is the worst drug to become addicted to. first off ,benzos control your life. you become a complete zombie, with lack of emotions, and become so heavily dependent on benzos, that withdraw can lead to seizures, and even death.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Well, I survived the Paxil, LOL

I think my case of the jitters was just "first dose anxiety." This could actually be a fairly interesting experience. I been giving this shit to other people for eight years, now it's my turn in the barrel.

I do feel a little zonked, even this morning. I think that as time goes on, that will go away.

Still want to go ride trains, though, and I'm willing to bet money that if I did, Paxil would be the least of my concerns. But thanks for all the messages of concern.

And yeah, "daughter in college=stuck in my job for a long time." That's one of the bummers and wonders of parenthood. It can be great, but you are "in for the duration." (That's an old phrase I used to hear from World War II vets back in the 1950's, when I was a kid. During WWII, you didn't get drafted for two years, like during Vietnam. The nation was buckling for it's dust, for real. You were "in for the duration" (of the war), meaning "You get to come home when we win.") So if some old guy would say "how's the wife and kids?", his buddy might reply, "Oh, I'm in for the duration," meaning "Even if it sucks, I can't split."

Kabar, I don't agree with your assessment of drugs and addiction. Or maybe I should say your assumption of some kind of line between prescription and harmful drugs.

I don't have a whole lot of science to back up my feelings, except personal experience which includes a stint as a binge drinker followed by years of sobriety, and the stuff I've seen my friends go through. So much of my position is philosophical and instinctive, but it's not uninformed.

Drugs aren't natural. Drugs are, by most definitions, substances that do not naturally occur in the human body, and create changes when introduced. Drugs are usually taken because one of the changes they cause is, at least superficially, a beneficial one. But there are no drugs without side effects. The interior of the human body is a very chemically reactive place, and it is impossible to introduce a chemical with a beneficial effect without it accidentally interfering with some other metabolic processes.

I have a poor opinion of the current state of Western medicine. While there's no arguing with the technical prowess of Western surgeons who work with the body (reattaching limbs, restoring sight, transplanting organs), the medical establishment's approach to mental issues is Neanderthal at best, and at worst corrupt and barbaric. Neanderthal because it is crude, and attempts to fix a problem that is not even understood; corrupt, because so much of Western medicine is now dictated by pharmaceutical companies with no motive but profit; and barbaric, because plenty of people are suffering needless consequences, up to and including death, as a result of current treatment practices (which violates the Hippocratic oath: First, do no harm).

I put the currently craved/craze pharmaceuticals like Prozac and Paxil into the plain old drug category. Nature doesn't care if you have a piece of paper with your doctor's OK on it: you are choosing to take drugs, and there are going to be side effects. It sounds like you've felt some already. I also consider any withdrawal symptom a side effect: a chemical that creates a need or desire for itself in humans is a drug.

Drugs aren't natural. I don't encourage or discourage their use based on that - cost-benefit analysis is a more logical way to decide whether to take a certain drug. My problem is with the current cultural assumption that emotional pain requires medication. You appear to be resorting to drugs as a first response to job stress. I don't want to trivialize what you face at work, but my instinct would be to do everything under the sun besides chemically mess with my brain - look for another job, reduced hours, quit and freight hop and deal with the financial consequences, anything.

A friend of mine, barely in his 20's, recently did something amazing which at least doubled my respect for him. He was faced with the loss of two very close relatives in a short time period, each of which occurred in terrible circumstances. He chose to give up drinking and drugs for a year (or as long as it took) in order to face the grief and pain as it was, and deal with it. He was able to do this and move on, and now drinks and smokes pot in moderation.

I'm not here to say, you're weak if you resort to drugs to deal with pain. (I did it for years.) I just don't like how it seems to be a societal reflex. I'm not sure pain can be "solved", or that it should be reated with a pathology mentality. Pain is natural, drugs aren't. And drugs always seem to come with a price - not just buying them, but side effects, withdrawal symptoms, other kinds of pain.

Cracked -

I'm of the same state of thought as you are. However...

Some pains are caused by chemical imbalance.

If your system needs suplementary chemicals to function at a 'normal' level, then why not take those pills?.

Not everyone has the ability to meditate their pain away.

Some people feel that medication is their only alternative.

For them, I feel they should be able to do their thing.

That is not the thing for me.

That's all there is to it.

im with kilo...

i have some hardcore chemical imballances.. probaably not a shock to most people here, but whatever. i take pills so i can function like a normal human being. do they have side effects? yeah, i suppose, but the side effects are a hell of alot more tolerable than life without the prescriptions... i do think drugs are over prescribed, but i also have a feeling that science, technology, society and humanity are al conspiring to throw our once equalized systems, all to fucking hell. physical things can just as much effect on the body as taking 'drugs' and thus can just as easily throw you out of wack. when you see an attractive woman, your bodyreacts chemicaly to that. i find it no great leap to believe that being assulted with life everyday, can have a similar effect.

im so sick right now i cant think straight.

Guest im not witty

there was an issue of adbusters about medicine and its side effects, or better yet the overlooking of those effects by profit driven companies. Its focus was mainly anti depressants and their tendancy to drive people to psychotic behavior/violence. i dont know about paxil, it wasnt mentioned specifically to my memory. i have no problem with medicine in regards to physical disease, but medicine as psychology is a touch and go issue with me. I hate my job/dont like the idea of graduating and getting a wage slave job, this depresses me. im depressed so i need medicine? fuck that.

Originally posted by im not witty

Its focus was mainly anti depressants and their tendancy to drive people to psychotic behavior/violence.

I hate my job/dont like the idea of graduating and getting a wage slave job, this depresses me. im depressed so i need medicine? fuck that.

there is no 'tendency' towards psychotic behavior. im sure it happens, but refering to it as such makes it sound far more common than it really is. far, far, far more people are pushed to psychotic behavior by alcohol or marijuana.

i cant believe that people still confuse being depressed with suffering from depression. huge difference.

i dont know what it is about anti-depressants that makes everyone all of a sudden some sort of staunch pharmacutical reform advocate. it's like people some how see it as a personal affront, that others chose to take the drugs. they have to rally about how its 'weak' and give it an almost illuminati like conspiracy rating... as if someone elses choice to take paxil is really any of their concern. there are far more important issues than this. im not just trying to swing the mast the other way for the sake of argument, im just speaking from my own extensive experience.

Guest im not witty

originally posted by KaBar: Fuck. I have to take fucking antidepressants so I can stand to work at a job I fucking hate.

i am not speaking from experience, i was more putting myself in kabars shoes, at least according to his doctor. i know the difference between being depressed and depression, apparently his doctor doesnt. unless i missed something in his original post, i dont think hes suffering from depresssion anymore than i am.

as for your other points, i think the whole point of that article was to show that it IS more common than people would think, and to compare it to weed and beer is pointless. weed and beer are something you choose to take upon yourself. if a doctor prescribes you a pill and tells you its in your best interest that you take it, and you begin to be changed by it, and end up killing your family or yourself for no reason (again documented by this article) thats a whole different game.

Archived