Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Picked up from 1 basement about 2 weeks ago. All full and unused. Cleaned them all up and figured I'd share the flix. Have multiples of most of them if anyone needs any to fill gaps in their collection. Not soliciting anyone, just throwing the option out there. Note the upside down labels. Weird eh?

yellow2.jpg

yellow1.jpg

upsidedownandforeignlanguage.jpg

silverandcopper.jpg

reds2.jpg

reds.jpg

orangeand2yellows.jpg

green4.jpg

green3.jpg

green2.jpg

green1.jpg

gray2.jpg

gray1.jpg

gold.jpg

brown2.jpg

brown1.jpg

bluespeckle.jpg

blue2.jpg

blue1.jpg

black3.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly Nybco (New York Bronze Company) cans. This must be the stash I heard about. Those Irish greens are fresh and just in time for St. Pattys Day. No avocados???? Pretty interesting that there is that many upside down cans. You don't see quality control mistakes like that alot and seems like you have a grip of them....

Mostly Nybco (New York Bronze Company) cans. This must be the stash I heard about. Those Irish greens are fresh and just in time for St. Pattys Day. No avocados???? Pretty interesting that there is that many upside down cans. You don't see quality control mistakes like that alot and seems like you have a grip of them....

Yeah that's the new stash. No avocados in the pick up. There were like around 5 or so of the upside downers. Yeah, the Irish green is nice. Def. feeling the Martin can and the Tambour acid visions graphic.

I FOUND A CAN CALLED CPF OR PFC, CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH(pretty sure it was those three letters), AT KMART THE OTHER DAY. HAD NO PRICE OR BAR CODE, AND IT SAID MADE FOR WALMART. IT HAD A SMALL LID AND A PAPER LABEL AND THE PAINT WAS TOP NOTCH. IT CAME WITH WHAT LOOKED LIKE A SMALL GERMAN FAT, BUT BLACK. THE PAINT WAS REALLY THICK AND IT WAS WHITE. IT HAD PICTURES OF PLATES ON THE LABEL, AND THE THREE LETTERS OF THE BRAND WERE PRINTED IN PRIMARY COLOR SQUARES..........i tried to ask a worker if they had any more and they had no idea, so i tried to snag it. they caught me and i tried to bullshit them and say i brought it in looking for that brand...then i offered to buy it and they wouldnt sell it, they said it was probably accidentally delivered to them, had no price, etc................ shit was sick paint, anyone know??????? i've been searching the internet and havent found a thing. it had the same small lid like the can above.

kapo08.jpg?t=1205408809

these are my coolest ones. i really like this growco shit. some quality paint. there were cases of it for 99 cents a can of pink and blue. comparable to watermelon and teal krylon in colors, but way nicer paint. i saved these two for something special.

OH tell me about it, I had a spot that tells me they have all this old paint and to come back in a couple days and they will have it all dug out for me. So I am game, drive like an hour or so back there, and its about 40 cans of that shit. I used it once about 12 years ago when it first came out, and never bothered to fuck with it again. Almost as bad as that krylon latex shit they came out with, I seen that shit selling for like .25 can at kmarts and shit for a while...

Okay guys and girls here the deal: I have way too many cans! As a result, I am offering mixed grab bag specials of 50 cans of various/mixed shipped within the US for $120.00, By mixed and various I mean contents level, conditions, years as well as makes. These grab bags will run the gamit for Krylon prytops-1962's as well as 70's Red Devil's, along with 1973 and earlier (big face) Rust-oleums.

I can assure you, that two or three cans contained within the respective grab bags will be of the purchase price value alone! Send $240.00 you'll get 100 cans send $340.00 you'll get 150PLUS cans! We're talking instant collections here! Interested? Email me directly.

kingpjay@aol.com

Abro still makes paint. I think they export most of their product but they are based in the United States, Indiana I believe. Also, Dune, Duplicolor US is owned by Sherwin Williams, whereas Dupli-Color in Europe is owned by Motip-Dupli. They also produce the Montana Gold/Black series.

The reason some of the Nybco cans and Krylon cans may look similar is that there are only 3 main companies that manufacture aerosol cans in the United States, and only 2 main companies that produce Over Caps for aerosol cans. The ones with the crown on the inside of the Over Cap are made by Berry Plastics, whereas the ones with "Cobra" on the inside are made by Cobra Plastics. Most cans are generally 16oz cans that hold 11 or 12oz of product.

The old cans where the rims stick out are called straight wall cans, while the new cans that have the rims tucked in and smaller seams are called necked in cans. If you look on the cans there is usually a small crown (Crown Holdings) somewhere in the printed area, or a "US" (US Can). Sometimes you can also find a "BWAY" (BWAY cans, who now own US Can). The new shampoo bottle shit with no seams will have a "DSC" somewhere on the container (DS Containers).

Also, what is somewhat interesting to note with some of the smaller brands is that there is most likely 25,000-50,000 of those cans in existence, at least, because the minimum run for most of these companies that produce cans is 50,000.

Archived