graffiti as a weapon

mishaco

Re: from dictionary.com :

Originally posted by mishaco

graf·fi·to Pronunciation Key (gr-ft)

n. pl. graf·fi·ti (-t)

A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public.

or , as i originally wrote at the top of this thread : graffiti is a communications medium . i believe that we as purveyors of this art have an enormous amount of power . i think we should use that power .

the girl in the first photo is having her say against the isreali army in an occupied country .

this weblog from palestine will give you some insight about whats happening .

additionally , to answer :

"is it graf...? just because its done with a can, does that make it graf? "

some things contribute to the art and some do not . yer right dusty , spray painting kkk on headstones is mindless , useless hatred and is not graffiti . not every painted thing is art .

furthermore , most things you see in the media are not news stories either .

$ .02 ,

http://www.mishaco.com/single.gif'>

yes true but the asossiation between graffiti and art has only been a very recent one(and in my opinion a somwhat confused one).. and only in certain contexts.

up untill the late 70's /80's graffiti lived in teh family of vandalism not art. even now it is not absolute whether graffiti is a "fine" art or not, in my opinon hip hop graffiti is a fine art if done illeagly which takes into account "context" and "comment" to vital ingreadients for a peice of fine art, Now this is where i think alot of writers get confused if a peice is done on a leagle wall or a place safe as ya granmas house it no longer contains the 2 ingrediaents mentioned before which reduces the "charge" of the image to simply folk or decorative art, more in the vein of a craft than a fine art, unfortunatly this is what some writers and a large group of the more open minded public have decided is graffiti art ie" i like when they spend alot of time on it, not that scribbly stuff"..

just my opinion but think about it , im sure you will find some validity in my statments.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just missed a political painter the other day, i walked by a billboard, then like 3 hours later i went by it again, and someone paint" war means you lose" i was looking around trying to find the person, if i had a scanner id take a pic and put it up but i dont sorry

GRAFFITI is not VANDALIZM.

Some vandalize but not all, some just aint good or real enough to do Graffiti, you we're wrong if they told you that everyone can do it.

all love, so Respect, People die for this.

the free love, just like this guy said, GRAFFITI = 2cents, heres myne.

peqce

• 6 months later...

and this time the cops used it

an artist got used for their skills , then got nabbed by the cops . where is the original employer of this artist ? well , he's out running for office .

http://www.gaypasg.org/Event%20Photos/03-08-26%20Dean%20Rally%20in%20Bryant%20Park%208-2003/MVC-004F.JPG'>

read the original report?

Big Break Goes Bust

Publicity leads to vandalism charges for graffiti artist

By Wil Cruz

STAFF WRITER

October 8, 2003

A big break may have turned into a big bust for a Manhattan graffiti artist who created a backdrop for presidential candidate Howard Dean's visit to Bryant Park this summer.

Blake Lethem - aka KEO - was arrested Monday on an outstanding warrant from 1999, police said. Lethem, 36, and six others are accused of vandalizing nine subway cars at 148th Street and Lenox Avenue. He was charged with one count of criminal mischief in the third degree, a felony.

Lethem, a friend of a Dean campaign volunteer, garnered attention in August when his graffiti-inspired backdrop was criticized by some city officials, including the mayor's office, as painting a negative, outdated picture of New York.

Dean's campaign spokesman, Eric Schmeltzer, defended Lethem at the time, saying, "This is a very well-known, respected artist."

Lethem's fame grew, and a newspaper story featured him Sept. 26. The trouble was, the story was seen by a police officer who worked the 1999 graffiti case.

Six months after that incident, the officer saw Lethem on a public access TV show that was featuring the graffiti, cops said.

The officer - whom police did not identify - developed still photos from the video, and identified the artists. Two men were subsequently arrested in May and August 2000, police said.

The case died down for the next year or two, but after the story about Lethem appeared, the officer recognized him again.

Police still are searching for three suspects in the 1999 case; one has since died.

According to The Associated Press, Lethem was arraigned yesterday and released on his own recognizance.

so was the backdrop there.. legal?

they can arrest you for doing a legal wall just because you've done illegal shit in the past? or what? i always figured it was... if you don't have concrete evidence, then that's it. but then again, "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean a whole lot these days though huh.

Originally posted by mishaco

from the nandotimes.com

http://www.mishaco.com/nando.jpg'>

from the l.a. times

http://www.mishaco.com/g2.jpg'>

from usa today

http://www.mishaco.com/g1.jpg'>

graffiti is a communications medium .

and in most places you have more to worry about than the police .

sorry about the newspaper scans

- mishaco

(IN THE 1ST PIC)

YO DID THIS BITCH GET SHOT OR FUCKED UP BY THAT SOLDIER?

Guest Ted Kennedy

my 2 cents...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p23f49777fa1ac25e218178b66949d81a/fadc7462.jpg.orig.jpg'>

Words Not War...

Sorry if the pics are kinda big i didn't feel like resizing.

Anyways as far as the "anyone can do it/it's not burners so it sucks" conversation goes.

Punk rockers were writing graffiti way before any of you hip-hopsters were. And i almost feel there is something more powerful about graffiti with a message by people who don't know what the fuck they are doing but feel so strongly about whatever that they go write it on a wall. It's more raw, than someone just exerting their ego (writing their name) all over the place. Not to say that i don't do the second, but i have love for both.

That's my 2 cents...

best thread ever!!!!!:king:

need more pics. Q of graffiti;not that you are not risking your freedom (double neg?)but this goes beyound self promotion or art. You have the power to present a statement to mass publis that few take. Elected office pay others to illegaly present there name(message) all over every town on signs. And when photos like this are taken they are just as powerful as photos of people in third world dead. Blah, stoned and pissed off. You cant change peoples mind but you can show them something different. Fuck the system eat trash!!!!!!!!!

IT HAS FLICKS OF GRAFFITI, STUPID.

Originally posted by Rectum

yeah..but what has this thread got to do with graffiti??:confused:

GRAFFITI /gruh-fee-ti/ n. unauthorized writing or drawings on a surface in a public place.

-origin Italian.

Archived