Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

theres no reason to save this thread,

im not saying let it die, but its a sticky,

it wont get lost. and when someone has

a decent thing to add, they can. its gunna

happen to all threads eventually. you cant

talk about stencils/caps/ink/ect. forever.

atleast not constantly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yerp... and you can tape it to the bottom of an open shopping bag, walk around town with cans in shopping bag (or bagpack with said stencil as bottom) and then just act like your getting something out of the bag, and spray stencil on ground..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yo Tmoney, stenciling doesn't exactly = toys it just means your using a premade piece to get up.. That doesent mean you didn't put as much effort into what you did, its just a faster way to get up.. Stencil one of your characters instead of freehand... It will save you time + paint and = quickness.. But when it comes down to bombing.. You can't stencil it really.. And that's what seperates the men from the mice..

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone's posted about this but I figured I'd give it a shot to all you stencil heads out there.

I work with cardboard a lot and have for a few years....

Some tips on cutting....use a box cutter....yes xactos are comfortable but get used to a box cutter and you'll save yourself some money in the long run. Blades are way more sturdy and youll get more life out of one blade by flipping it over when one side is dull or the tip is broken.

image.aspx?id=7ed8a313-b1e2-4384-87a7-2a36a9a23436

I suggest looking for a stanley box cutting knife. They sell them at walmart. They fit into the palm of your hand and have a retractable shaft that holds the blade. Super comfortable and the blade doesn't wiggle as much as standard box cutters.

If you have super detailed stencils...go to michaels and look for circle die cutters. No not the scrapbooking ones. These are for fabrics/leather.

image.aspx?id=e454b53e-41ed-4ae4-bc5c-a9d3877d2e81

image.aspx?id=6584ccc7-1bbc-4078-b84e-a0e3c82f3b12

They may or may not come with a hammer...but you will need one. They come in different sizes. They are basically a round metal "pipe" that is very short and sharpened on one end. To cut cardboard just position it on the area you need cut and bang the hell out of the edges.

image.aspx?id=1b120f7e-9a5a-4323-9fcd-db2f3319caa0

I haven't used this but came across it on the website. Looks pretty useful.

Like I said, this is only for cardboard. Flutes are the wiggly parts inside the liners. The fluting of cardboard is various but there are only about 4 or 6 different types of fluting styles. Then you get into the double fluting for heavy duty boxes. I suggest using the single fluting ...smallest and tightest fluting you can find. The cardboard is denser and will be easier to cut.

Wow sec, those look like some heavy duty tools.. ive used box cutters on harder-core material and those things can hack through almost anything.. those place mats are cool but there a real pain in the ass to cut wit a box cutter and a lil too hard to cut wit xacto (unless you got one of those fat blades) i would like to use a hammer and that fatty lil grey thing but it looks like a real time consumer.. plus i usually use throw aways so im only gettin 2 or 3 uses out of my shit.. ive jus been so used to an xacto and manillas folders..

Yeah, like I said...it's for cardboard. It's actually not time consuming at all. Plus you get clean corners and rounded edges. One pound of a hammer instead of going back and cleaning up the jagged edges in your design. Just my two cents..

Yeah I'd like to try that fatty grey thing...

• 1 month later...

Archived