Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What Book Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Canadiano, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Canadiano

Canadiano Guest

I've got five different books at my bedside, but the last one I checked is called the Book Of Knowledge. I used to read it when I was seven, or something, but it's still not bad. Big pictures and good information on old English history. Right now I'm at the part when William of Normandy killed King Harold. Oh, and I'm still reading that short story collection by Farley Mowat. I'm sloooooow.

2. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

3. SCAGNETTI

SCAGNETTI New Jack

"LOW LIFE" BY LUC SANTE... FACTUAL HISTORICAL SHIT ABOUT NYC FROM THE LATE 19TH CENTURY TO THE EARLY 20TH... I'VE BEEN ON THAT KICK LATELY... IF YOU'RE INTO THIS SUBJECT READ "GANGS OF NEW YORK" (IT WAY PRE-DATES THE ITALIAN MAFIA) AND THEN THIS ONE...

4. Canadiano

Canadiano Guest

what do you mean it pre-dates the Italian Mafia? you talking about actual, less-organizsed then organized crime gangs? What were they, Irish, Italian, what else?

*edit - rage, stop with the firsties bullshit. that is kindergarten styles, and even when I was in JK, I woulda gave you a bleeding nose. for real, you fuckers need to watch 90210 and understand what cool is before you decide to do this firsties bullshit.

5. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

prozac nation.. everyone should know about this book..atleast the ones that read enough.

6. Canadiano

Canadiano Guest

iloveboxcars - I've never heard of it, but I don't buy books from the bestsellers rack at Chapters, usually. I don't give a fuck what a Buddhist doctor tells me about evil, corporate drugs, and the media blindfolding us..nblahablahblahblah. I sorta like war books.

at my bedside: Book Of Knowledge (sort of a kids book), Religion and the Rise of Capitalism by RH Tawney (1922), Selected Essays of Francis Bacon, and Farley Mowat - The Snow Walker.

7. russianwrote

russianwrote New Jack

paul theroux:the great railway bazaar
    robert capa:the definitive collection

8. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

90210? WTF?!

Anywho... I'm just following suit, because people did it to my threads.

Books I'm reading:

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King
    The Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul
    Ship Of The Damned by James F. David

9. Gödel, Escher, Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter
    Adobe AfterEffects QuickPro Guide, by some computer nerds
    The Book of the Cosmos, by Dennis Richard Danielson

Got "A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram waiting for me next. That's gonna be a tough one. Beer,

El Mamerro

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

oh...
    Introducton to Maya v.4, by assorted Nerds and edited by an uber-nerd.

11. E-DubleSkilZ

E-DubleSkilZ New Jack

None - i cant read 2 well:eek:

12. SCAGNETTI

SCAGNETTI New Jack

YEAH... PRIMARILY IRISH AND GERMAN, AND PRIMARILY IN LOWER MANHATTAN (BOWERY)... THE MAJORITY OF THE BOOK TAKES PLACE BEFORE THE REAL INFLUX OF ITALIANS... THE EARLIEST ORGANIZED GANGS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN OPERATED UNDER THE GUISE OF INDEPENDENT FIRE COMPANIES... BUT THAT'S TOO MUCH DETAIL... YOU JUST HAVE TO READ THE SHIT... IT ALSO DEALS WITH CHINESE GANGS AND ASSORTED OTHER CRIME GROUPS AND FIGURES...

IF YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS SHIT, SOME OF THESE STORIES WILL BLOW YOUR MIND... BOTH BOOKS ARE ALSO PRETTY COOL BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT SENSATIONALIZED AT ALL SO YOU GET A PICTURE OF HOW GRIMEY THIS ERA IN NYC ACTUALLY WAS

13. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

question is ...

Do any of you write? (funny question to ask The Writer's Fourm)

poetry? prose?

I've just finished another short screenplay. Anyone care to read it?

14. I love to write, I used to rock some ill prose and short stories. But it takes too much out of me, both in energy and time, and I just don't do it anymore. I satisfy my need to write by coming on 12oz and ranting. beer,

El Mamerro

15. Canadiano

Canadiano Guest

I'll get into that shit, still. You're talking about the Luc Sante one, right?

Mamerro, you're an uber-geek, eh?

zest, I used to write essays for fun and shit, but then I realized that getting drunk and arguing with people, telling them that Canada needs to be run by a dictatorship and stuff like that, is much, MUCH, more fun.

Don't you think HIV positive people should have that tattooed onto their hands? I do.