V O N A G E

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just got one on friday. only made a few calls on it, so i can't really tell you a whole lot about it.

25 bucks a month for nationwide calling and canada. not a bad deal. only thing that bugs me is the disclaimer on their site. they can change shit at any time. it'll get cancelled if that happens.

anyhow, it's very clear reception. works on your plain old house phone (the package has a little linksys router that hooks into your cable modem/dsl...mine goes to my wireless router) kinda slick.

more reviews as time passes.

Nah I'm finna use skype. Since it's based on P2P technology it is infinitely scalable and requires no infrastructure- costs and maintainance, and it even has better clarity. A service like vonage is only as good as it's servers, with skype, the world is your oyster. And on top of all that, the last time I checked, it was FREE and you could call anywhere in the world. I need to hook that shit up quick before they shut it down. I already cut off my cell service in anticipation of doing this shit up.

Actually, no, my bad, it's not going to get shut down, it's only going to get larger. The problem is that it's gotten so large that it's recently been bought, so the new owners may decide to charge money. Fuck. Let me see if I can find an article.

Here we go:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/102005A.html

I've had it for about a year now. I live in australia and the bad thing about it is that when you download heeps of things on the computer eg using Azureus and lime wire and the phone starts breaking up and u get real shit quality that its hard to under stand what people are saying. Other wise its worth saving $2,000+ a year in calls

Originally posted by Dawood@Oct 30 2005, 12:11 AM

whats the deal with skype? they keep asking me to buy outskype credits. I thought it was free!

skypout.. ability to call land-lines like home phones or cells from skype, not just other skype users.

**edit** its only about 2.3 cents a min... way better than 10 cent/min ld on a land line.

It looks like a good deal to me. I just got my last phone bill that im ever gonna pay. $85 is just fuckin rediculous and you cant even take it with you. Getting dsl and this phone service hooked up here would be hella cheaper than the phone bill alone. One thing i didnt understand was if you get the free little hookup box that your phone plugs into does that mean that you can only have one phone plugged in at a time or do you have to hook up multiple boxes around the house to hook all of your phones into?

Originally posted by mr.yuck@Nov 2 2005, 05:17 PM

It looks like a good deal to me. I just got my last phone bill that im ever gonna pay. $85 is just fuckin rediculous and you cant even take it with you. Getting dsl and this phone service hooked up here would be hella cheaper than the phone bill alone. One thing i didnt understand was if you get the free little hookup box that your phone plugs into does that mean that you can only have one phone plugged in at a time or do you have to hook up multiple boxes around the house to hook all of your phones into?

you can have multiple phones plugged into the box. I have 3 in mine. You can also call to have an additional number added to your account, for only $5 extra a month. Which is pretty sweet if you are trying to sell something and you don't want assholes calling you later after you sold it.

P.S. anyone wanna buy some puppies? full blood pitts. rawr.