This has prob been asked b4..

2ten

I searched for about an hour on here and didnt find any info on my questions..

I paint solo and and know maybe 2 writers in my area (by choice) and have a few questions about Autoracks

1. How many people paint them with cars int them?

I have done it once and the overspray only went on the little white stickers the put on the cars to protect from scraps and what not.. My thinking is there is pretty much no way they could trace it back to me. (iam VERY particular about not leaving any evidence, and cleaning up the yard after I leave.)

2. what is the buff rate?

I only been going up from the start of the metal (forgive my terms, i dont have a lot of knowledge on trains) I noticed a lot of people go all the way down to the bottom of the car, but for some reason i think it would get buffed...

3. how rare are this type of train.. I have a yard that gets about 5-10 cars every weekend.. the computer lab is gonna close so i have to leave thanks for any info given....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ok first, as for painting with cars in them. most, well the gm's ive seen almost all have the protective plastic on them so the paint doesnt go one the paint. and even if it did, most of the time spraypaint can be buffed off the clearcoat. so i wouldnt worrie to much about that.

i have no clue about buff rate, but i see them all the time with old stuff on them. so im guessing not that much

these cars are not rare. but you need to take into cosideration where your located. there are alot, i know of one layup here that has about 60 of these cars that have been there for about 6 months. but we also have a gm plant here. if there are no plants by you these cars might be rare.

and im no expert so correct me if im wrong

when you say Gm do you mean General Motors??? Just wondering because all the cars in my lot are all in the Audio, Volvo, Volkswagon family.

I dont know too much about the facility the trains stay it it looks to be the final stop on the line, and there are always a good 200-500 cars in the fenced in parking lots next to the plant, its located next to the harbor so iam thinking they unload them from the train, and ship them in boats/dealerships...

Also i have noticed they are always "yellow" trains. I have seen flicks of "blue" autoracks. whats the difference and is there a way to trace where the trains came from, and where they go after they leave my lot???

thanks again for all the info. iam pretty uneducated at trains, i normally just paint them and never see them again....

yeah i mean general motors, they have a plant here. but the place i seen most of the autorack is way away from the plant, like 50 miles away.

id look for a layup. if you dont know, layups are another set or sets of tracks that are used for storage. just leaving cars sit there for days or months at a time. if you have a port there should be some layups close that have autorack and other cars just sitting there. but if you have a busy port, i dought they will be there long, probably only a few days, bt this is just a geuss.

Its a pretty busy port.. most of the trains roll in out on monday and new ones roll in fridays.... I think iam going to go farther south and see if a can find another spot, but i have been so geeked on this one that i havent made the journey yet...

for you physical and legal safety id try and find something other than a yard/port to paint in.

the only times ive gone into the gm yard here was to get pics, well, one time i tried to paint there and it didnt go to well. there are just too many ppl in really active yards. the gm plant here is a 24 hour operation and there are almost always car being shuffled around. ive gotton great pics from there but ive decited for my own safty not to go in there anymore.

where i live we have autoracks by the pound. i get sick of them actually.

whether or not you get paint on the cars is not important. getting paint on the protective plastic is evidence. if you get some hot dog cop he will be able to find out where the cars are being painted. and this maybe unique to ford, but all the cars ive seen in autoracks are only partially protected. that white shit only trims the car, it dosent cover it completely.

if your a born to lose thrill seeker type, continue to paint autoracks with the cars in them. if your a thinking writer who is trying not to get caught and take every precaution to prevent it only paint them when there empty.

and before you go out again to paint a train, read all the stickys at the top of this forum.

this spot shuts down 1000 percent on the weekends.... i usually go sunday between 6am and 8am... i have the security gurads shift changes down so if i cant sleep at night, i can go during the 2 hours non-security...

i have read every sticky on here twice, and have learned a lot... one of the reasons i chose to paint trains now (besides the devasting buff rate here, and growing vandal squad presence) is because i dont want to been known as a writer, or know any writers... the more people you know, the more chance of being snitched on... i have only hit a train with cars in them once at this spot, and have done about 12 empty trains in a 3 month span... i am taking 3 weeks off to reup on paint and let the spot chill out for a while.. iam starting to think someone will notcie the trains are clean when they all leave on friday, but when they come back on monday there are a couple burners on them...

Originally posted by Vanity

oh, and i find it funny that you don't wanna know any writers, but you come here to talk to em.

i would rather talk to people i will never meet for advice, then roll down to the tribal stand and meet people that will snitch on me... rats are a problem down here..

ya its a stand in the mall. not a store, but a little cart. they selll tribal gear tips and markers.. all the 15 year olds hang out there and complain about using stock tips and asking why do there magnum tags dissapear after it rains...

Autoracks aren't too rare unless you live in an area w/ no auto plants around, and you only get the run thru rack trains. I stay away from loaded racks, it'll bite you in the ass later on down the line. I like em' empty and chill. Painting near an auto assembly facility and port seems kinda sketched, if your painting at a plant, fuck the autoracks get the smoothside autoparts boxes! Where the GT's and Conrail's at?! Like Type R said, rarely do they catch the buff. You usually see racks in unit trains and rarely in mixed freights. A railroad will not waste time breaking up a train as to buff or fix minor damage. Heavy damage is another question. You can denote a repaired autorack by its shiny new panels on the sides as opposed to the faded rusty panels...Also they do get stamped moreso than buffed...TTX doesn't play around!

Archived