Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

STARTING A BUSINESS: Questions about trademarking, copywriting, patents etc....

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by DOOD, Oct 6, 2003.

1. DOOD

DOOD New Jack

STARTING A BUSINESS: Questions about trademarking, copyrights, patents etc....

I know everyone on here has had an idea about starting a busisness or clothing line or resturant etc...well so have I...i currently am seriously contemplating starting a clothing and have been researching it for about a month or to now and have become overwhelmed with all the legal stuff that is needed and how much it costs to trademark or copywright your business.

Have any of you been through this process?

Have any of you skipped the trademarking and copywirting?

Please post your knowledge and experienc on the topic....this could be of help to many of us wanna be entrepenuers out there.......

2. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

i own my own shit. the legal fee's are big, i am lucky enough to have a good friend who is an attorney so i get a hook up.

all of my shit is trademarked.

i believe that there is a government site where you can check to see if names are already taken or pending, or even abandoned. thats a start

then you can do the good old "poor man's copyright"

that is when you take your idea, and i personally would be as detailed as possible about every thing. type it out, include logos, designs and all of that good stuff. certify mail it to yourself BUT DO NOT OPEN IT when you get it. keep it in a safe place. This may help you if you ever got in a legal bind (someone jacking your idea or name). This should hold up in court, and it will be dated and all of that.

try that in the mean time till you can get yourself set up legit.

form an LLC or a LLP (limited liability corperation/partnership) you may want an attorney for all of the legal work.

that way you can never be personally sued or the such.

then get your shit trademarked or whatever. i think the fee's are like $250. or $300. not including the attorney fee.

but my best advice is this:

1. MAKE SURE you have a sound business plan from every angle!

2. MAKE SURE all of your parntners are on the same page as you, and are down for the long haul because shit doesn't happen over night, if at all!

3. HAVE CAPITOL!!! $$$$$$$$$ W/O this you should not even bother!

I went the route of Kevin Smith for my capitol, since my investor dicked me over hard! charge cards and personal loans up the ass!

good luck

3. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

simply making a product means it's copyrighted... the biggest legal hurdle you need to worry about is probably the declaration of a ficticious name... it's where you officially declare what you business name is, what you intend to do to make money and who you actually are... you usually have to pay a fee and run an ad in the paper for a week...

After that you just do what you do and you should be pretty much protected...

4. shitmop-1$

shitmop-1$ Senior Member

the mail idea also works for anyone making their own music. Put a copy of you work in an envolope,, you know the rest.

5. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Oh, I'm sorry... apparently these days I need to provide more facts so... My father took a picture of somebody, the picture was in Sailing magazine or some boat rag and later, somebody took that picture and did a line drawing from it. My father submitted a bill and it was paid. Any work you can show the 'creation' of OWNS ALL derivative work...

*to a point, the 'new' work must be at last 35% different from the original, and that means DIRECTLY different, you can't take a picture and add a bunch of butterflies or something and call it 'new'... you have to modify the original by "35%" or you're/they're stealing

6. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

yup, this is true.

no doubt e martyr

7. DOOD

DOOD New Jack

i like the envolope idea..if that really works..im down for that for the time being...cuz i dont have anywhere near the kind of money needed to trademark somethin for real...i went to the official govennment site for United States Patent and Trademark Office and searched on thereto see if my name was taken...and nothing came up...but i dont know if i trust that ..and i heard it wasnt really up to date...so i dont know about that site....if there are any other useful websites...post em up!

gooch...what do you own? got a website id like to see some stuff that you got trademarked and what not.

if anyone else has anything they are workin on for a business type deal goin on..post your website...on here

any of yall wanna hit me up on AIM to talk more about this...i got lots of questions... AIM: nimmey123

8. Gunm

Gunm Banned

I got this from good advice that the whole "mail yourself your shit" doesn't work anymore. You have to go through official channels now for copyrights.

9. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

no you don't... mail it to yourself is just as good for etablishing copyright as ever... I think you guys are confusing this with patent law...

10. DOOD

DOOD New Jack

taken strait from www.copyright.gov faq section

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
    The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

not sure what that really means

11. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

it means these people are uninformed... for real, it's called a 'poor man's patent' and is based upon a mchine or method of accomplishing something... a COPYRIGHT is inherent in the work as created, ANY artistic work, be it visual, auditory or literary...

fuck the FAQ's section... if you don't believe me, look into copyright law...

12. DOOD

DOOD New Jack

Is there such thing as a poor mans trademark? if so..where can i sign up...:D

13. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

i may have had the incorrect name for the what i believe is a slang term for that process. i never said that it was just as good as taking the proper routes, what i was suggesting was: use that technique in the mean time till you are able to do things the proper way. i do know that it will hold up in court as proof of some sort. again i wouldn't base my business ideas on that method, which is why i followed the proper channels, but again this is costly and i happen to be lucky enough to have a hook up.

14. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

right, and what I'm sayin is... what you're thinking of is a patent process... copyright is inherent in the work... trademarks must be registered but any SELF copyrighted material may be used as a trade mark, though you might have to argue it in court later if someone takes your style... but any continuous use of an original logo or symbol automatically 'trademarks' it...(PLUS 50 years or so of disuse)

15. stylus1

stylus1 Junior Member

I know I'm right on this, Read - "Buisness In Action" by Courtland L. Bovee (just an economical and buisness overview of the market today), then "Principles of Macroeconomics" by Karl E. Case, then if you wanna really wanna get ahead of the game get into several MicroEconomics titles. You cannot, and I mean cannot fail if you understand the principles discussed in these subjects. There is a lot of money out there, everyone with common sense on this board could easily by a millionare, possibly a few times over. Success is never impossible, money makes the world go round, - A white child from the rat race known as college. Trust me on this, a company is not a fucking joke, its a responsibility and with a detailed understanding of the marketplace you cannot Cannot fail. Damn I'm money hungry, peace