Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists

mental invalid

let me say it again....WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

Oregon Law Would Jail War Protesters as Terrorists

Wed Apr 2, 9:01 PM ET

By Lee Douglas

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon anti-terrorism bill would jail street-blocking protesters for at least 25 years in a thinly veiled effort to discourage anti-war demonstrations, critics say.

The bill has met strong opposition but lawmakers still expect a debate on the definition of terrorism and the value of free speech before a vote by the state senate judiciary committee (news - web sites), whose Chairman, Republican Senator John Minnis, wrote the proposed legislation.

Dubbed Senate Bill 742, it identifies a terrorist as a person who "plans or participates in an act that is intended, by at least one of its participants, to disrupt" business, transportation, schools, government, or free assembly.

The bill's few public supporters say police need stronger laws to break up protests that have created havoc in cities like Portland, where thousands of people have marched and demonstrated against war in Iraq (news - web sites) since last fall.

"We need some additional tools to control protests that shut down the city," said Lars Larson, a conservative radio talk show host who has aggressively stumped for the bill.

Larson said protesters should be protected by free speech laws, but not given free reign to hold up ambulances or frighten people out of their daily routines, adding that police and the court system could be trusted to see the difference.

"Right now a group of people can get together and go downtown and block a freeway," Larson said. "You need a tool to deal with that."

The bill contains automatic sentences of 25 years to life for the crime of terrorism.

Critics of the bill say its language is so vague it erodes basic freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism under an extremely broad definition.

"Under the original version (terrorism) meant essentially a food fight," said Andrea Meyer of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) (ACLU), which opposes the bill.

Police unions and minority groups also oppose the bill for fear it could have a chilling effect on relations between police and poor people, minorities, children and "vulnerable" populations.

Legislators say the bill stands little chance of passage.

"I just don't think this bill is ever going to get out of committee," said Democratic Senator Vicki Walker, one of four members on the six-person panel who have said they oppose the legislation.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

someone posted this in the quotes thread i thought it was fitting

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar.”

Julius Caesar

Whats the point of fighting a war to free people if we ourselves are not free.......

Guest Pilau Hands

First off, I'd just like to say that Julius Caesar was the don. How fresh was that quote? Ahhhhh power. If i were a girl, I'd hit it.

moving on...

While this might surprise some, I actually agree with the baic premise of the law.

"Critics of the bill say its language is so vague it erodes basic freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism under an extremely broad definition."

That's fucked up, and I hope it does not pass. However, I don't feel that people protesting against war or anykind of injustice should scare others into siding with them, or disrupt, as was cited, services like emergency medical assistance, roads, etc. My girlfriend was having dinner in SanFrancisco right in the middle of that more recent famouse protest where people welded themselves to whatever and 1,000 or more arrests were made. She said they were coming by the restaurant banging on the glass and telling her to come outside. Fuck that. If you believe in, demonstrate that, but when you breach the safety or well-being of others, get off my lawn. But then again some call me a conservative so, meh. :nope:

Guest BROWNer

beyond how vague the definitions are, and the possibility of

25 years at least in prison for protesting..is how extreme things

have gotten on both sides..the froth of

vituperation coming from so many protestors should speak

to the larger issue of what is going on in the psyche of america as

well as filing protest under terrorism and handing out 25 years for

it. things seem to be going way off the chart awry.

Guest BROWNer

25 years would be the EXTREME case man..but still, the fact that

it includes and changes protest to a new definition is frightening.

"Right now a group of people can get together and go downtown and block a freeway," Larson said. "You need a tool to deal with that."

heh dipshit its called disturbing the peace or disordely conduct....there are plenty of laws on the books right now

goddam this shit is really pissing me off.....

Archived