1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Hopping Safety Gear

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by KaBar, Feb 20, 2002.

1. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

Hopping Safety Gear

Discussion started by KaBar - Feb 20, 2002

I don't know if this is an idea that anybody will find interesting or not. I talked with Big Bruno about it, and he thought it was pretty cool, so I thought I'd post it just to see.
    Since trainhopping is a lot like motorcycle riding in terms of hazard (you are traveling 50-60 mph with nothing to stop you from sailing into the air if there's a crash) it seems logical that motorcycle crash equipment would be appropriate.
    Like a helmet, for instance. Maybe a cool-looking "half-helmet" like bikers sometimes use. Definately not a white helmet, maybe black or gray or painted brown.
    Like good, sturdy GLOVES, preferably leather. I wear trucker's gloves.
    Like good, sturdy clothing. Blue jeans. Overalls. Heavy canvas construction trousers like Carhartts'. A good, warm jacket or coat, like a chore jacket or an Army field jacket. A warm sweatshirt hoody, maybe, in a darker color. Black T-shirts or black long-sleeved T-shirts. Dark colored flannel shirts, denim shirts. Clothes like that.
    Like a good hat. I wear a baseball type "gimmee" cap. You get stuck out West in the desert with no hat, you'll be SORRY.
    Like good, sturdy boots--work boots, military boots, steel-toed boots. Tennis shoes suck for hopping--no heel. The boot heel keeps your foot from slipping off a train ladder and (Eeewww!) into a train wheel.
    How about SAFETY GOGGLES, to keep dirt and rust and shit out of your eyes? A few bandanas to wrap around your face to keep out smoke or dust or cold-ass wind?
    Like a few Bic lighters and some matches.
    And always, always, always carry plenty of water. Always means always. No exceptions.
    Any comments? Additions? Complaints or objections?

KaBar - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Feb 20, 2002

Sure sounds like a good idea to me, like the boy scout says, "be prepared". I just picked up a nice pair of boots today, all leather Carolina's, they cost me $5. If anyone is a size 13, email me, they have a nice ass pair Red Wing's for the same price, chip in 5 or ten for shipping and the time expense and you could have 'em. Act quick though, I forgot to move them back to the bottom of the stack.

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. EL MASKO

EL MASKO 12oz Elite Member

EL MASKO - Replied Feb 20, 2002

Columbia River shanks.

EL MASKO - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. NATO

NATO Guest

NATO - Replied Feb 20, 2002

i dont know if you can buy them, but my freinds dad is in the Royal Air Force and he got a shit load of army rashions for our camping trip. they were boil in the bag meals, but could be eaten cold. very compact you could probably get about 10 just in the pockets of you jackets, about a weeks good eatin!

5. EL MASKO

EL MASKO 12oz Elite Member

EL MASKO - Replied Feb 20, 2002

God bless the MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat). You can get those in the US. But there's none of your "tea" Nato. But they have orange drink & THE BEST crackers.

EL MASKO - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  6. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

Vanity - Replied Feb 20, 2002

when i went, i brought one of those long flashlights, partly incase i needed light at night, and partly as protections (those things are like batons).

some things i regretted not taking were
    sunscreen,
    something to sit on.

what i was really glad i had was a blanket.. the temperature change is a lot... esp w/ the wind.... also, a watch... when you're in the whole for awhile, not much else to do.

as far as hats.. i had one of those army boonie hats.. i love it.

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  7. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie 12oz Elite Member

vinyl junkie - Replied Feb 20, 2002

just a note, as far as police are concerned, 4 battery and up maglites can be considered deadly weapons... that gives them a reason to search...:(

vinyl junkie - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied Feb 20, 2002

They don't need a "reason" to search you, if you're hopping. If you encounter the cops while you're actually on a train, you are "busted." If you're on the street, they can search you if they believe you have anything dangerous to them on your person. If they want to go through your ruck, I would at least ask them if they have probable cause. In general, I heartily recommend NEVER carrying anything illegal on you or around you.

9. muthafuckinfatso

muthafuckinfatso 12oz Member

muthafuckinfatso - Replied Feb 21, 2002

now a helmet i coulda use at one time. i wouldnt have a scar above my temple. dam that scared me scraping my head on the rocks flipping, dust in my eyes next to the wheels going 30clicks. blood running down my head. i thought my brain was ozzing out. dont fuck around and wait for it to stop i'd say.

muthafuckinfatso - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. muthafuckinfatso

muthafuckinfatso 12oz Member

muthafuckinfatso - Replied Feb 21, 2002

oh and earplugs.
    as for me, i prefer sneaks for the running advantage and easy slip off to let my stinky toes breathe. steel toe can get cold at night eh. how about sum good hiking boots with out the steel?
    take mace instead of a club man, easier to handle and less luggage. i fucking hate havin a heavy bag.

muthafuckinfatso - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  11. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie - Replied Feb 21, 2002

yeah, if yer on the train yer screwed, but if yer not actually in the act of doing anything illegal cops need a lot of probable cause. most cops know this, but the few who ignore it can be taken to court, and charges will almost always be dropped. Actually, after 2 probable cause and profiling cases in my home town, i'm almost untouchable there, because cops realize i know what i'm talking about and are afraid i'll take them to court. granted tho, if yer frieghting you really shouldn't have anything illegal on you, but it can be someting as little as being under age and having booze in yer pack. If a cop wants to screw with you (and dirty train hoppers are a great target) he will, i just don't wanna make it any easier for them.

12. KaBar

KaBar 12oz Senior Member

KaBar - Replied Feb 21, 2002

You can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. That's the problem right there. Try to avoid thinking "The cops can't do this," or " the cops can't do that." It's what is called "magical thinking." The cops can do whatever the hell they please, and there's very damned little we can do about it. Once you've been arrested, hand-cuffed, they've gone through all your shit, you've been placed in a patrol car with the doors locked, what's to stop them from "finding" an illegal gun or knife, or "finding" a bag of pot or coke in your ruck? Answer: NOTHING. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it. TREAT THE COPS AND THE RAILROAD BULLS WITH RESPECT. Get rid of this "they can't tell me what to do" attitude. All it's going to do is encourage the cops to send you up to jail for about six months while you spend thousands of dollars trying to defend yourself. Young people in particular have a foolish attitude about people in positions of authority. If you do not come into contact with them, you won't have to worry about what they might or might not do. NEVER SKYLINE IN A RAIL YARD OR ON A TRAIN. HIDE. The idea is to come and go without leaving a trace, and without them ever knowing you have been there. "Don't shit where you eat."

13. Agent Uprise

Agent Uprise New Jack

Agent Uprise - Replied Feb 21, 2002

Being on the train IS the illegal act!

Well, like all things in life Id point out that not all rules are absolute. As far as the bull is concerned, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with one but the way I see it is, your tresspassing on train property, there's no way around it. Once yer initially stopped its soley in that bulls discretion to let you go, scare you a little, take you under a trestle and 'teach you a lesson' , or of course send you to jail. Bulls like any other person working, probably wishes they wern't. Its way more easier to tell you to get to stepping than arrest you, do all the paper work, and explain how people are getting in the yards in the first place. If caught I would try to be polite as peaches and maybe even tolerate thier disrespect. (That is of course if running isn't a viable option!) You have to understand however that some people pursue jobs of authority soley to stroke thier wounded egos. A little paper work is a small price to pay for some bulls/cops to get off on thier power trips. It doesn't matter how nice you are to these dickheads because thier on some whole other shit. If initial attempts to be cordial fail and the bull/cop is still on some disrespectful shit I would say stick up for your self. We all internet savy losers have a pretty good grasp of the law and it could be in your best interest to make that known. These personality types of bulls/cops thrive off of fear, thier like mental predators. If you challenge them, and asserting your dignity is to them 'challenging', then they will get extremely hostile. A hostile person however, is not the clear thinker like you or I and suddenly, we have the advantage. If a cop is making all sorts of outlandish threats concerning beatdowns and death penalty for tresspassing non-sense, all you do is once again explain to him you and your layer (we can bluff too) are familiar with the letter of the law as well as the system on filling grievances against those who brake them.
    Theres about two options now, the cop/bull starts being more realistic about the situation because he knows you aren't being fooled, or he continues to run off at the mouth like a little kid who HAS to get the last word in. The latter is basicly harmless because he is just acting to save face.
    Kabar always stresses RESPECT, and I wish everybody felt that way, not only respect others but DEMAND that you be treated with respect as well!
    Let me know what you all think.

Agent Uprise - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  14. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie - Replied Feb 21, 2002

1. i was talking about in general life, or in particular to this thread, once you get to the place your going...
    2. i've been on the recieving end of a cop beatdown on more than one occasion, so i don't consider these threats outlandish, and, i guess this is probably a bad thing, but when a cop starts making these threats i get defensive...
    3. this is what i was trying to say before... it is absolutely neccessary to respect whoever is trying to talk to you, but the respect needs to be mutual, and if i have to be the one to tell them, then so be it.

yes, kabar, if a cop wants to fuck with you, he will. but i don't like to make it any easier for them. i've already screwed myself over from one end with tattoos (not that they're a regret, just a nuisanse at times), piercings,and scars. so most cops probably don't like me right off the bat. I don't wanna have other reasons for them to fuck with me, and i definately don't wanna give them a reason to. That includes mag-lites, booze, spare changing, i don't even drop cigarette butts in front of a cop, i put them out on my shoe and the butt goes in my pocket. basically what i was saying is that you should always keep your head up and on the look out. make sure your not doing anything that a cop could have a problem with, at least while they're watching. and yes, treat them with respect.

also kabar, i had another question for you... you said: "NEVER SKYLINE IN A RAIL YARD OR ON A TRAIN." are you against skylining even when you're out in the middle of nowhere? just curious...

thanx for reading all this if you got all the way through...

15. Agent Uprise

Agent Uprise New Jack

Agent Uprise - Replied Feb 21, 2002

vinyl junkie- I agree with all that you've said. I never even thought about the ciggarette thing but it makes sense, a cop would have every reason to search and harass you you for that, altho you couldnt be arrested unless if you city allows arrests for ordinance violations which most don't. I know in Los Angeles the cops there are notorious for using jay-walking as an excuse to fuck with people.
    As far as getting harassed by cops on the streets, I always assert my rights and demand respect. Fuck all that "what are you trying to hide?" bullshit, I HATE HATE HATE, that shit. What am I hiding? Its called the FOURTH AMENDMENT, go get your own!!!!! My philosophy is that if we give up our rights and let the cops be assholes to us and get away with it then they just keep on doing it, and doing it. If you want to violate my rights, go ahead, you've got the guns and sticks and back-up of like a million other cops. Do whatever you want just dont you Dare think Im gonna take it sitting down!
    As far as beat-downs by cops go, Im not saying they're always bluffing but they are like 99.99999999999% of the time. If a cops gonna stomp you he's not gonna sit there and talk about it, he's just gonna start swinging. Fuck it tho, that shit makes you stronger!

Agent Uprise - Rank: New Jack - Messages: