1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

GOLDEN WEST

Discussion in 'Metal Heads' started by TED NUGENT, Jun 29, 2002.

1. TED NUGENT

TED NUGENT 12oz Senior Member

GOLDEN WEST

Discussion started by TED NUGENT - Jun 29, 2002

OK HERE IS MY OBSERVATION .IVE NOTICED THAT HERE IN THE MIDWEST ON THE OFF OCCASION THAT I FIND A GW IN A SPOT IT HAS ABOUT 80% CHANCE OF HAVING ALL THE PANNELS TAKEN EVEN ON A TRIP OUT WEST LAST YEAR I GOT SHOT DOWN ON A FEW CHANCES TO CACTH THEM BECUSE THEY WERE ALL GRILLED.SO HOW OFTEN DO YOU GUYS FIND A CLEAN ONE,IVE NOTICED SOME CREWS SOLUTION TO THIS IS TO JUST BLAST A BACKROUND CLOUD THE WHOLE LENGTH AND GO OVER THE OLD STUFF.WELL I JUST THOUGHT THIS TOPIC MIGHT BRING UP SOME CONVERSATION....

TED NUGENT - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. Remi Martin

Remi Martin New Jack

Remi Martin - Replied Jun 29, 2002

the lay up literally a stones throw distance from my old apartment was regurlarly 20-30 golden west flats and maybe a ridgie and a hopper or two. fresh ups from LA and the bay on about two thirds.

Remi Martin - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  3. mopius

mopius Guest

mopius - Replied Jun 29, 2002

i have noticed that as well....granted i dont see that many out in my parts, the ones that i have seen/painted have about a 90% chance of having pannels done on them...i think it has to do with the buff cycle and them not doing it very much, but i could be wrong...

4. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

railroadjerk - Replied Jun 29, 2002

yep. around here they always have at least a panel taken...

high percentage.

you know its bad when you try to catch a tag or drop a sketch and youre literally digging to get space on a ladder or by limits to pull one off.

5. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

T.T Boy - Replied Jun 29, 2002

when i do get to see em, theyre all blasted to fuck with west coast stuff. rarley do i see a clean one.

T.T Boy - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  6. dukeofyork

dukeofyork 12oz Senior Member

dukeofyork - Replied Jun 29, 2002

ive managed to catch a couple clean ones...

but it was so long ago i cant say i was proud of the outcome now....

dukeofyork - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Jun 29, 2002

i'm not like taking numbers down, but the ones that i see here are often the same month to month or similar, that strikes me as wierd for such highly travelled boxcars, anyone else caught this phenomenon? or what other companies are likely to have cars in dedicated service?

as for the question-completely clean or buffed i haven't really ever seen.

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. fr8burner

fr8burner 12oz Elite Member

fr8burner - Replied Jun 29, 2002

when ever we use to get them....they were always full of west coast stuff...from 98 or earlyer....they would come in a line of about 2 to 12 and only about 1 or 2 of them would have a open panel....ive hit alot of golden west but this was back in 98 and shit and my shit was very ugly then....we never get em anymore and that really pisses me off....everyounce in a while ill see 1 or 2 travilling with the local gondolas but never layed up anymore.....i would catch kero bus drane payne slej drone push. all of that shit on the daily.you can see ost of what im talking about on my site down below this post....man i miss 97 and 98...all we get now is hoppers and grain cars....fuck ...

v

fr8burner - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. TED NUGENT

TED NUGENT 12oz Senior Member

TED NUGENT - Replied Jun 30, 2002

had a nice golden west flat in my spot today it had a vegas tbk 01 i think on one side and a 95 push msk and msk fill on the other

TED NUGENT - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. cheesecurd

cheesecurd Guest

cheesecurd - Replied Jun 30, 2002

could someone help me out as to what's packed in those? Gvsr flats or chtt flats etc...if it's lumber what kind specifically? It might make all the difference in the world. thanks

11. fr8burner

fr8burner - Replied Jun 30, 2002

they ship all sorts or shit in gvsr's so its hard to tell what one might have in it....

12. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Jun 30, 2002

I'm luckier than most of you, I guess - my chances of finding a spot on Golden Wests is better than 20%.
    I'm careful what I go over on them. There are plenty of names and crews where I won't even touch a hollow or tag, but there's also a lot of crap on them - sloppy fillins and scribble, mostly over the numbers. But I'm wary of going over even some of that shit, especially if it's old. In my area there are a few trains that run with old stuff by Spray and Mast, mostly tags and hollows. That hollow S! by Spray is nothing that would grab you stylewise, but a lot of it is from '87, so it has historical value. I save that stuff when I see it (and still feel depressed over one time where I didn't look closely enough at the hand and blasted over a Mast throwup). So who's to say that I'm not wiping out some old, classic though not necessarily cutting edge shit when I blast the small stuff on these west coast cars? I try to stay educated and stay selective. Accidents are going to happen, but writers who respect what came before can reduce some losses.
    As to buffing, well, there obviously isn't much of that on these cars - lots of stamped numbers though. I don't believe there is a Golden West Service anymore, as a company. The cars are owned by Galveston Railroad (GVSR marks), Ventura County (VCY marks), and some by Coe Rail (hoppers marked CRLE). I suspect a massive repaint will occur someday, so everyone should be documenting these cars with flicks.
    As to contents and routes, I don't know if it's the whole story, but many Golden West flats and baby ridge cars are insulated and carry non-perishable food (canned goods, etc.). They also tend to load and unload at the same couple of dozen cities nationwide, so you may see the same car more than once even though it's not a local for you.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  13. 23578

23578 12oz Elite Member

23578 - Replied Jun 30, 2002

yeah man, good info, i suspected as much, do you happen to know when they broke up the fleet?

23578 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass 12oz Veteran Member

Cracked Ass - Replied Jul 1, 2002

I don't know that one.

Cracked Ass - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  15. fr8burner

fr8burner - Replied Jul 1, 2002

im guessing around 99-00 since thats when they stoped coming here as much as they did....but thats jsut a guess....who knows