1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

fabricating with fiberglass

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by seeking, Jan 27, 2004.

1. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

fabricating with fiberglass

Discussion started by seeking - Jan 27, 2004

so i'm learning welding this semester, which is something i've always wanted to do, but yesterday, while looking at custom sound system installs, i realized it is imperitive that i know fiberglass as well.
    sooooo, can anyone give me a heads up? you dont have to go through the whole process, but just a brief synopsis of how its done, the dificulty involved, costs, time, etc, etc.

seeking/12ozoogle.com

seeking - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  2. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jan 27, 2004

As far as I know, working in fiberglass is a shitstorm. But, the end results can be really fucking awesome, so it pays off.

That is all.

3. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seeking - Replied Jan 27, 2004

well thank fucking god for you!

seeks/beer
    ( ;) )

4. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jan 27, 2004

I'm only here to help.

5. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jan 27, 2004

No, but seriously, I was once very much interested in it for some time, just needed a reason to give it a try... but none of my projects really needed fiber, so I couldn't (spare time = drinking, learning software). Then I witnessed some of my friends go through some pretty fucking frustrating times trying to pull it off, and it really turned me off... seems to take quite a while to get the hang of it and make decent stuff. Add to this my atrocious craftmanship, and my future in fiber looked bleak. Not to mention it's one of the most toxic and harmful shop activities you can have if you don't take the appropiate safety measures.

It would be neat to learn it (always wanted to weld too, how's that coming along?) if I could focus nearly 100% of my time on it.

6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i'm not trying to fabricate big dancing donkeys for thanksgiving parades or anything, mostly ill just be doing behind-the-scenes structural stuff. plus, im just the type of guy that wants to be able to take two coconuts and build a boxcar. i'm like ted nugent, all i need is my leatherman and my glock and i can survive forever.

welding is good so far.
    i think its the kind of thing that is really easy to do, and really difficult to do really well. perhaps if we're lucky When will drop in and school us.

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

wtf? you guys a bunch of metrosexuals, afraid to inhale caustic substances in the name of making sweet shit?

8. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jan 27, 2004

Well, you said you won't be making big dancing donkeys, so you can't claim to be wanting to make "sweet shit".

Look up "sweet shit" in the dictionary... BOOM, giant dancing fiberglass donkeys.

9. TEARZ

TEARZ Guest

TEARZ - Replied Jan 27, 2004

^^^
    HEE HAW!

10. Al Green

Al Green 12oz Veteran Member

Al Green - Replied Jan 27, 2004

hey Mamerro didnt jaime make a skateboard deck out of fiberglass.?

all of my friends who have worked with fiberglass have hated the process. the shit is some serious health badness.. like bond-o.. but 10 times worse..

as for forming fiberglass depending on the tpe of fiberglass.. woven, non woven etc.. its a different process..
    and also like most industrial processes you have to take into consideration how complicated your forms are.. if you want to see a basic production process of fiberglass
    find the Eames dvd about the classic eames fiberglass chair. i cant give you the name off the top of my head.. but i remember that dvd basically walked you through that process..

either way.. the Eames movies.. are worth buying..

on a related side note:

i went to a place that manufactured Sunfishes.. and various sailing boats ..

you could smell the fiberglass from half a mile away and once we left it took 2 weeks of airing out to get the smell out of my clothes.

if

Al Green - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  11. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jan 27, 2004

Well, his deck was wood, but yeah, he covered it in resin to hold the shape in. He didn't seem to have half as much trouble as most people I've seen, but then again, what he was doing was fairly simple compared with full-on parts molding.

Yo, did you ever go to that place where they made racing sailboats? They had this hugeass carbon fiber mast fresh off the molds, shit was HAWT.

12. Al Green

yeah thats the spot im talking about.

the small racing sailboats..
    apparently theyre all made to really regulated racing specs.. and i think is the only place they manufacture that specific boat.. for all types of races including olympic.

13. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p4243ec084b1308e0d9e8e83f4616ef5c/fa266d72.jpg'> [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/pb3692b0bdf04367bff60448b0c09ecf1/fa266e65.jpg'>

i dont want real complicated stuff. just basic forms and vessels. atleast for now.

14. Al Green

i dont get it is that some trunk casing for a subwoofer or something.. is that what you want to make?

making molds has never been a strong point of mine.. you'd probably want to ask mammero.

and that shit looks gugly.

i mean if it was my car.. id make everything out of carbon fiber. carbon fiber and Kaolin.(milk protein)

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

of course its fugly, it's just the first casting.
    here's the final product.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid95/p1a43921eb3fc240b868baae51e651ead/fa266801.jpg'>

i dont want something like that exactly, i was just showing the 'type' of stuff i wanted to do. that kind of mold work.

and in case you didnt notice, mams doesnt know his ass from a tucked planche. he's useless to me. beer.

seeks/sharps