fabricating with fiberglass

seeking

the last mams response..

=av hot topic..pink studded bracelet...or anklet.

you are genius.. and unlike lightening you can strike thrice..

welding is cool id like to learn how to do it..

someday when i have time and money to learn.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats not my car hank, just an example.

vinyl,

yeah, i had thought about one of those masks. im not too worried about the split second of possible exposure. if i feel its an issue, i can just close my eyes for half the split second before i hit 'go'.

how well does this battery welding work? and im assuming that as soon as you hit the stick to the metal, it arcs, correct?

that's cool as hell.

it's like making grilled cheese in prison.

stick welding works just like with the batteries, except with an actualy kit you have a power supply you plug in, and there's a little gun dealie holding the stick instead of a clip...

the stick is covered with this powdery lookin stuff that works like a flux (since there's no gas being blown there)

stick hits the metal, it arcs, you pulls away fast and it stops... with the real kits i think there's a trigger on the gun deal start/stop the current...

it took me about 2 days to go from never having touched a welding kit to get to having pretty clean welds...

the whole time all i was doing was sticking pieces of 1inch box steel, anywhere from 6 to 12 inches long each, together... totally lego core... last i saw the final product, it was in someone's back yard with tomatoes growing on it...

I dont know but welding is the most ass kicking thing in a world.. i welded this crazy looking table up last year with a Miller Tig.. Shits was nutty lookin fool... and i scorched up about 15 metal mathbooks. shits were also dope..

fiberglass is tough to do well, you can do it kinda well cheaply with a high powered suction pump, a good exo, or is it endothermic epoxy, anyway the kind that doesn't start fires, and some bench equipment. can a leatherman cut fiberglass, i don't know, prolly, but you need ceramic scissors to cut kevlar. the suction pump will suck out most of the air bubbles which make most cheaply done fiberglass weak and ugly. if you had an autoclave and some molds. . .

fiberglass is a fucking BITCH.

i did a few car stereo setups with it, then started sculpting with it, mostly abstract figures.. blah blah blah.

my lungs are officially fucked. the fibers rip them to shit.. buy a mask.

also, i hope you live in warm weather, but not too hot. you need a good 70ish degree day to get a good cure *(spelling)* out of it or the glass lacks strength..

just try.. buy a gallon of resin and some hardener and try it... just read the instructions.

all you really need is fleece, resin, and hardener.. and a shitload of sandpaper.

Guest HESHIANDET

you need more than that to do a quality job.

seeks, there are well over a 100 types and weights of glass and same goes for resins. it all depends on what your going to fabricate and how much it weighs.. there are specific tools for rolling out air bubbles and shit etc etc. do it right, do it white

i also need to learn to work with fiberglass, or at least bondo/body filler type stuff to do some body work on my car and things of that sort, although i've heard its pretty hard to get working with bondo to come out good i'm probably still going to give it a go since im not driving a benzo or anything...

Working with bondo is pretty easy.... mix it up you and apply it and smooth it out with the same rubber applicator pad thing.... then sand it all down smooth and nice.

*Ever since reading that carbon fiber is now the strongest known substance I've developed a keen interest in this subject......

Originally posted by villain

Working with bondo is pretty easy.... mix it up you and apply it and smooth it out with the same rubber applicator pad thing.... then sand it all down smooth and nice.

*Ever since reading that carbon fiber is now the strongest known substance I've developed a keen interest in this subject......

the problem with bondo is it is mad mad mad heavy. you use that on smaller aplications, like the kick panels goin in my car have bondo instead of fiberglass, whereas the front behind the driver seat will be all fiberglass. Its really just a process of mixing the fiberglass which is like 100 parts of the eopxy, 10 parts of the glass or something, mix it up and put it on the mold, then shave off what ya need to. Then you bondo over that to get it super smooth and something to sand, cuz you cant smooth out the fiberglass with sandpaper cuz its too thin. Then you paint over it. Its pretty simple to watch and sich, but really hard to actually do of course. I been meanin to get some and learn how, ill let ya know how it goes.

Originally posted by seeking

perhaps if we're lucky When will drop in and school us.

hey quiet down! schools in session bitches.

how the hell did i miss this thread?

but hey good for you seeks

mig/tig/oxy/arc right?

with a minor in plasma cutting

oh man how i love the plasma

just make sure your shoes are snug and you wear eye protection

i dunno what you want to know but im sure i can tell you

this goes for fiberglass work also

wish i could post some of my stuff but its mostly all work related

but hey if you want, drop me an email

Originally posted by Giving Tree

fiberglass is a fucking BITCH.

all you really need is fleece, resin, and hardener.. and a shitload of sandpaper.

bullshit.

you need a few more things than that my friend

i hope you didnt charge for these boxes

and i hope no one tried to paint theirs, ha

when/blatant dick

Originally posted by Tyler Durden

i also need to learn to work with fiberglass, or at least bondo/body filler type stuff to do some body work on my car and things of that sort, although i've heard its pretty hard to get working with bondo to come out good i'm probably still going to give it a go since im not driving a benzo or anything...

good call on doing your own bodywork

but make sure you try to do it right

dont just pile an inch of body filler (bondo) into a dent

make the best attempt to bang out the dent first

the way i was taught and the right way as far as im concerned

is that you should use no more than an 1/8 inch of filler

i abide by this rule and have never had a customer come back with cracked filler

then knock it down to a reasonable level

spray a coat of primer and a dust coat

then block it out until your heart is content

primer again and youre done

Originally posted by Daze One Million

just curious, what is it that you do when, and what time is it in australia that you guys are always up at this time?

i build custom trucks and cars

anything a customer wants to do, we do it

and I DO NOT LIVE IN AUSTRALIA

i live in california

Originally posted by When

i build custom trucks and cars

anything a customer wants to do, we do it

and I DO NOT LIVE IN AUSTRALIA

i live in california

you ever done some el caminos? cuz if so, if you got flicks hit me up, gonna drop soem dope shit on mine, just waitin for tha cabbage and gonna get some practice, ya heard...

Archived