Earthquake in Indonesia

Guest sneak

click here for cnn's coverage

as some of you may or may not have heard, a huge 'quake struck an island off the coast of indonesia this morning. american scientists rate it as 8.9 on the richter scale which would make it one of the biggest quakes ever. the quake and all the after shocks have caused tsunami's to hit at least 6 Asian nations - India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and Malaysia amongst others.

Now, depending on if you read my threads, you would know that currently im on holiday in Penang (an island of malaysia).

The aftershock woke me up at 8.30 this morning (Malaysia is 8 hrs ahead of GMT) and at 1st i just thought it was a couple next door having a good time but i soon realised it wasnt when it went on for 15mins. Im staying on a beach side resort, and a few hours later (roughly 2pm my time) a relativly small (well compared to others) tsunami hit the beach i can see from my room. Local news reports over 16 deaths and 40+ injured - all on the beach outside of my resort.

when the shocks hit, my parents were driving over one of the main bridges which connects the island to the mainland and they claim the bridge shook when the wave hit. this is the 1st time ive ever been around anything of this sort and it kinda boggles the mind....

anyway, RIP to those who died (last i heard sri lanka was saying over 2000 people had been killed in their country).

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yo, that's nuts. My parents are in India right now, travelling around, but I think they're fine. My cousin is in Madras right now, which I heard got messed up.

Damn, sneak, you're lucky to both have been alive, and to have witenessed such a thing, as well as unlucky. Did you get pictures?

weapon x - nah i was too busy running the fuck away, get me.

the death tolls have risen, i think its over 15,000 across the area. as of 6pm this evening they were still pulling bodies from the sea / beach in front of my hotel.

moe lester made a thread too i see.

i just want to come home.

Archived