Did anyone else feel that?

-Rage-

5.1 Earthquake Rattles Northeast

NEW YORK (AP) — An earthquake felt from Maine to Maryland rattled the Northeast on Saturday morning with a magnitude of 5.1, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake hit just before 7 a.m. about 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, in northern New York near the Vermont and Canadian borders.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, but the Vermont State Police received calls about cracked foundations and broken windows, and sections of at least two roads collapsed near the epicenter in upstate New York.

Sandy Caligiore, of Lake Placid, about 35 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, said he felt the shaking for about 30 seconds. It was so strong, decorations were falling off the walls, he said.

``I was getting out of the shower and the mirror was shaking. The whole house was shaking,'' said Darlene Conklin, who lives in Hopewell Junction, about 60 miles north of New York City. ``My husband was watching TV, and he felt the couch shaking. You could see the doors shaking, the walls trembling.''

The earthquake was recorded at 6:50 a.m., said William Ott, a seismologist at Weston Observatory at Boston College.

He said the quake was ``moderate.'' A typical 5.1 earthquake would cause cracked plaster, broken windows and minor structural damage around the epicenter, he said.

``There are faults all over the northeastern United States,'' Ott said. ``They're not as active as the ones in California, but they're capable of producing earthquakes of this size from time to time.''

The largest earthquake recorded in New York, according to the USGS, was a 5.8 magnitude quake in 1944 that was centered in Massena, about 3 miles from the Canadian border.

Won Young Kim, a seismologist with Columbia University's Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, said there was a magnitude 5.2 quake in 1993, about 50 miles south of Saturday's epicenter. He said a magnitude 3.5 quake occurred just south of Plattsburgh on April 20, 2000.

Reports of the shaking Saturday came from as far away as Baltimore, Toronto and Portland, Maine. The USGS National Earthquake Information Center measured the earthquake's depth at 3.1 miles.

Kathleen Morrow, 31, of Northfield, in central Vermont, said the jolt woke her husband up and the shaking continued for several seconds.

``I had my feet on the floor ready to leave the house if it was going to be continuing or stronger,'' she said.

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?MIvalObj=236393&type=image/jpeg'>

Earthquake Damage at what is believed to be the epicenter of a moderate quake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale 15 miles south of Plattsburgh, N. Y., is inspected by New York State highway maintenance supervisor, Gary Sorell on Route 9N, near Au Sable Forks N.Y. Saturday April 20, 2002.

http://wire.ap.org/?SLUG=NORTHEAST%2dQUAKE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest platapie

we have quakes all the tim eout here. but there usually pretty samll and we dont notice them. dam volcanic activity

Word Kaes....I live across the lake about 30+ miles and I felt that shit. I though it was just wind at first.

My fucking bed was shaking like a 16 year old virgin.

I went outside and heard police sirens and firetrucks downtown.

:eek:

i remember there was an earthquake in hawai'i when i was little...it wasn't a catastrophic earthquake. i was on my mothers bed with my mother.

when it happened, i started jumping up and down on the bed while the earthquake was quaking.

i'm pretty sure this didn't happen.

i'm thinking i was jumping up and down while spinning.

i don't know.

Archived