Corporate Advertising in Terminator 3

metallix

This part of the greater "psychological operations" phenemona going in movies. These corpoations pay TONS of money to have their ad's put in. here are some screen shots. These images are used under the FAIR USE section of copyright. No money is being generated through use of the images and in accordance with academic reporting. See if you can spot the advertising. This stuff is known as "subconscious advertising" where most people never recognize it but none the less it leaves a psychological impression.

http://www.mayhemupload.com/images/Bitmap-6.jpg'>

http://www.mayhemupload.com/images/Bitmap-10.jpg'>

http://www.mayhemupload.com/images/Bitmap-11.jpg'>

http://www.mayhemupload.com/images/Bitmap-12.jpg'>

this thread © copyright metallix 2003. all rights reserved ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by TerraRyzeR

Good point but isn't it good 2 make money in order to make a good movie?

i never questioned the validity of the practice. im just raising awareness to how you are manipulated in the media.

isn't this everywhere now?

i thought everyone noticed it..

like in 'Alias' last season there was an ill car chase and they were in, like, a festiva or something dumb, and the camera zoomed in on the logo (like the lexus logo above) for a second

remember when all the corporate names were changed?

like someone would be drinkin a pepsi, only it'd say 'pipsi'

now that's all over

Guest imported_El Mamerro

So, which would you rather see: subtle advertising like product placement in movies, or blatant, experience-hampering advertising like pop-up ads, newspaper full-pages, and TV commercials?

Advertising exists and is necessary.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

So, which would you rather see: subtle advertising like product placement in movies, or blatant, experience-hampering advertising like pop-up ads, newspaper full-pages, and TV commercials?

hahha true. I hate pop up ads but i think i would hate it even more if the movie would just kind of stop and Arnold would look at the camera and say in his rediculous voice:

ja I am drinking Pepsi when i am safing da daayyyy. Yooo can not beeet ahrnee yoo gurly cola dreenka....I haf tree hummaz.

actually....an explossion of fecal matter might come forth from my anus if that really happened.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

there was also the big ad for toyota in the form of the tundra that got chased through LA in that big scene. otherwise, only one that i thought was extremely blatant was that xenadrine one.

its the expansion and omnipresence that bugs me. advertisers are getting more and more aggressive in their placement. it just bothers me that its constantly getting shoved down my throat. and i honestly don't think a lot of advertising is necessary even from an economical standpoint.

well if you care to know;

I use a pop up blocker.

I use a domain filter (filters advertising companies.)

I read the newspaper online (which has blocked advertisements.)

and i don't watch tv.

Sure it exists and is necessary, but not for me. And thats all perfectly fine because the other 99.9% of the world has no problem with advertisments and are not aware of the effects it has on them such as (mental pollution.)

Advertising of some sort is inevitable in many situations, unless the producer goes through the trouble to cover up all of the logos. Plus, by showing a Lexus maybe that's to say something in it'sself; that you should know they're driving an expensive car like it's a beater. Don't put too much bearing on the unconscious mind.... seeing stuff like that isn't going to make you go out and buy it. Most of it is just sluffed off in your short term memory anyways...

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by DripOfAWish

its the expansion and omnipresence that bugs me. advertisers are getting more and more aggressive in their placement. it just bothers me that its constantly getting shoved down my throat. and i honestly don't think a lot of advertising is necessary even from an economical standpoint.

See, I don't find product placement in movies to be all that aggressive. If anything, I find it way more passive than most other kinds of advertising. I agree that some of it is blatant, but I'd rather see it play a useful (debatable) part of the movie than sitting through a 30-second ad interrupting the climax of said movie. Anyways, most blatant ones end up being hilarious, I remember watching X2 and hearing the entire theater chuckle when the spotlight was shone right on the Mazda logo on the RX8.

And constant advertising is necessary in these days of microscopic attention spans. It used to be that just a certain amount of advertising would generate enough of a profit, and then the fame of the product itself would BE the rest of the advertising (example: Band-Aid), but nowadays great ideas can be swallowed up and shitted out in a matter of weeks if the reminder isn't there. Bottom line: Advertising = profit, so expect to see it constantly, and be grateful when approaches are taken that might seem annoying at first, but in further light turn out to be less invasive.

Archived