tattoo flash

j3di

does anyone here know any good sites with nice detailed photos of tattoo flash?...im trying to get ideas and styles to jumpstart my own portfolio...im looking for alot of swallows/sacred hearts/flames/crowns...well the new oldschool style...any help would be appreciated.

tootles...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i assume yer already established as a tattooer, otherwise good luck getting anything going in the flash biz... for an unknown artist it really has to be something incredible for anyone to buy it, although i do know a couple of people who have funded several-month long hitch-hiking trips by selling flash packs in the towns they stop in... ya never know...

if yer gonna go for it though, why spend yer time with swallows and daggers and shit, do something original... every tattooer has seen enough "new school traditional" flash to last the rest of their lives... if you show up at a shop with some flash that they haven't seen on 3/4 of the pages of every tat mag out there they will be much more likely to buy it, or want it tattooed on them for that matter... try looking on the net for a guy named chucho (sorry, i don't remember where he's from) but he does a lot of new school trad. but with different subject matter... in tattoo mag. a few months ago they had a full page of a "holy moldy sandwich" he did on some guys leg... he's just the first guy i can think of, but there are plenty of people out there doing this style of tattoo work without doing the same swallow, dagger, or cherries over and over again...

best of luck to you though, in whatever you end up drawing... have lots of fun with it! :king:

i hear you...im not trying to make my own flash...basically im just studying colors and whatnot...im trying to get into an apprenticeship at lark tattoo in l.i. but iwant to have a little more depth in my portfolio yadda yadda...plus buhzillions of my freinds are always asking me to draw shit for them and the mojority of what they want is the new olschool style...

if you know any other sites with alot of innovative artwork drop it here...thanks for the help.

oh... well ferget what i said... for an aprenticeship some recognized work is definitely good... best of luck to you, i hope you can get it (more tattooers need to actually aprentice instead of just picking up a machine and going for it)... i'll put up some sites for you in a bit... good luck!

check out cleen rock one's work (i think chucho's there too, but i don't see him on the site...:confused: ): http://www.topnotchtattoos.com

new skool in san jose (my buddy's rockin the darth maul paco did): http://www.newskooltattoo.com/

ed hardy's tattoo city... ed hardy is one of the O.G.s... everyone at this shop does what yer talking about, although all of them are focused a little more on trad. japanese rather than american, but it's all still there: http://www.tattoocitysf.com/

seth cifferi and read street tattoo... excellent tweaked trad: http://www.readstreettattoo.com/

there's plenty more if you want it

yeah... chucho isn't tattooing anymore... he's doing murals and stuff... he's one of the best tattooers i'vemet and a really cool guy... he used to tattoo at top notch though... actually the sandwich you're talking about is on this guy i work with's leg... it's pretty cool... he's very innovative with how he runs his machines... it's hard to watch him tattoo because it's like impossible to understand how he does it... he doesn't have much flash out...

my mentor always said to look for nontattoo related material for ideas... the most important thing to get is referance materials... that's all i know.

i personally see flash as not such a bad thing... depends on who drew it... if you really want that pegasus from cherry creek you might want to check yourself... but i'm a big fan of sailor jerry's flash, his pinup girls are classic.... i've got some tattoos that were turned into flash by the guy that tattooed them... i don't think that they aren't original or anything at all....

the bassis behind tattooing is that the reason why things are tattooed over and over again is because the imagery works and it looks good... i personally like the old sailor style tattoos... and when i look at alot of the stuff cleen does i think it looks kind of "off".... same with guy aitchisen.... i think they are awesome tattooers but i hate the shit they draw.... seth cefferri, adam barton, harlen thomas, paco excel, and ed hardy are some of my favorite tattooers just so you know where i'm coming from...

wow thanks junkie...

well ive always said all my tattoos other than the little things i have now like script on my wrists will all be drawn by me, therefore making it original...

theres like two different tattoo worlds out there...theres the college tribal flash getting mother fuckers like all those girls with butterflys and suns and all the jocks with barbed wire and tribal around thier bicept...well those are like the toys of the tattoo world...the true tattoo "scene" if you want to call it that is alot more original and innovative...the old sailor style is coming back into style with old classics like anchors and swallows and sacred hearts all geeked out with graff or just plain new influences which is making for some amazing work...

flash is mearly (to me) a way to get new ideas...even if i saw the illest flash at a shop id want to change it even in the slightest bit just to make it my own...

my 2 cents

i really think you should go to www.marcuskuhn.com these are some of my favorite flash sheets, and i think these would be really good designs for you to study if you're seeking an apprenticeship. they're just cool as hell, but also very practical and give you an idea of how to draw things that translate well into tattoos, and tattoos that hold up over time.

Originally posted by xhobox

if you really want that pegasus from cherry creek you might want to check yourself...

HAHAHA!!!:lol:

Originally posted by xhobox

the bassis behind tattooing is that the reason why things are tattooed over and over again is because the imagery works and it looks good... i personally like the old sailor style tattoos... and when i look at alot of the stuff cleen does i think it looks kind of "off".... same with guy aitchisen.... i think they are awesome tattooers but i hate the shit they draw.... [/b]

i feel you on the whole, "it keeps getting tattooed cuz it works thing"... i just don't like the idea of hundreds of other people running around with the same tattoo as me... i went through all the time and pain and shit, it's mine... although i do agree that the true old school shit just works...

as for cleen rock and guy atchison, i do think that cleen's stuff seems off at times, but I think it's just because tattooers these days seem to be putting more attention into the actual look of the tattoo, and not paying nearly enough attention to the actual placement of a piece, and how it works with the body's natural shapes...

but what you said about guy atchison, all i can say is... ah gee...:( ... he's one of my heros...

if yer not that nuts about guy atchison, what do you think of aaron cain? just curious...

Archived