Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EastSwaggings

Oil

So, in my recent artistic endeavours, I have decided to begin serious experimentation with oil paints. However, I have very little experience with the world of purchasing oil paints, and frankly I understand that better quality comes with higher prices. But I was wondering what 12oz's favorite brands or types of oil paint were, and what I should begin using for the best outcome.

Thanks.

ive been painting with oils for years and have the most success with windsor newtowns. they arent that expensive either. most of the other brands ive used (esp utrecht) are too thin. WN whites take SO LONG to dry though. good brushes are more important than paint; red sable (real, not synthetic) is one of the best types, its fucking expensive though.

utrecht paint in general can be thin.

my bff uses oils, she swears by turpenoid, says don't use turpentine (and she can't afford linseed oil)

not sure what brand she likes but i like windsor newton acrylics.

can't advise on brushes at all.. mine are pretty much all hand-me-downs

but be sure to take the time to care for them by cleaning them well, it will mean a world of difference after a painting or two.

i use white spirit rather than pure turpentine. thanks though.

i acquired a red sable brush and its great. i tend to use the white spirit as "water" and the linseed oil as a thinner. works a whole lot better.

be sure to take the time to care for them by cleaning them well, it will mean a world of difference after a painting or two.

this

also in terms of thinners, i prefer turpenoid, i use it like water. linseed oil is good for cleaning brushes but it makes the paint too... greasy? thats just personal preference though

I have slowly found that a few drops of linseed oil is just enough even to be distributed within the other paints for a while, or, it would be enough for a single session of paint, depending on the size of the surface.

something I have encountered trouble with is a certain clumpiness of the paint. I have figured this occurs without thinning, or the fact that it is on wood panel, but if anyone has advice on how to remove these small crumbs successfully, please let me know.

Use a needle or something?

Basically take good care to not let any shit get on your canvas beforehand, it's always a pita.

About good paint at a reasonable price I've found Amsterdam to be pretty ok.

But why not make your own?

All you need is linseed oil, turpentine, and pigment.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this