Forming a small legal spot, need advice

IEatGibletsFoo

I know some people are going to knock this but im trying to do something positive here so here it goes. Ive been throwing around this idea a little bit and wanted to get a few opinions and tips if anyone can help out. I dunno if i posted this in the right spot but theres really no where else it fits in.

So i been throwing around this idea of finding property to buy to make a legal spot to paint. I know that somewhat defeats the purpose of the rush of going out and etc. but some of us start having familys or get older and just dont feel like running from police anymore. Plus the area im in has the absolute worse penalty for being caught doing graffiti which can basically ruin your entire life. there is some people that just have to paint sometimes to get it out of there system and they dont know where. Or maybe you want to just practice a bit at this spot, or maybe you have a kid who loves to terrorise your walls in your home and you make a deal with the little bugger if you take him to this park he'll not do it at home. i dunno, but ive asked a few people and so far everyone seems to like the idea. it would be like a mini park, ill throw up some wood and concrete walls, design to look pretty cool maybe like a mini maze or a fake half built building maybe throw some fancy mulch out front so the visual for the community gets accepted. just have it as a chill spot for people to come to when they wanna get away. i was even thinking of having some sort of little hut with a post board if people need art done anywhere to leave a business card or something.

so i want opinions on what everyone thinks about this, if this would even be worth trying to do or what? in my head its always been a dope idea but who knows. in my area you can buy property from a knocked down house as cheap as 100$, shit why not do something positive with it? also another question i have is i dont know how the legal system would work if there would be some sort of codes i would have to follow about making a mini park like this, and exactly where i could have it at, im sure someone doesnt want it next to there house id have to browse for the perfect spot im guessing. and i dont know shit about permits or even buying property or anything i would have to register. i think it would actually be prety dope to have these legal parks in more then one state like how beaches how legal walls in some states this would basically be the same think except not on a beach

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This has the potential to be a cool idea but also could create a lot of problems for you. are you in the US or UK?

If you, personally, want to own the property, you'll be in trouble if anything happens on the property, from crimes to liability issues. If someone goes there to paint and gets cited for weed or an open container law - that's on you. If it becomes a regular occurrence, your property will acquire a bad reputation and the local community will find way to shut it down. Additionally, there comes the hazard that, should someone seriously hurt themself on your personal property, they may be able to sue you for not taking care of your property. It's called tort law and it's a HUGE PAIN.

First and foremost i'd suggest creating an organization of yourself and a few pals, and charter it as a public arts or afterschool organization.that's key to protecting yourself and the property - if something happens and the park gets sued or otherwise involved in any sort of litigation it comes down on the organization, not you personally. This will save your sanity, reputation and checkbook.

Having a shell organization will also help if you and your friends have prior convictions, especially for graffiti. Noone in a law enforcement/civic place is gonna look kindly upon a legal wall owned by someone with a criminal record - that's the honest truth. Instead, with your new organization, you chalk up points for being a community organizer and activist, bringing art to a previously unoccupied lot. You might be able to get funding too, if you go this route.

I would plan on coming to the local community meeting/board of whatever and propose something to them. They will help you with licenses and will be more lenient on issues in the future, especially if you have them involved from the start.

I would plan on having something like a fence around the place. A legal that's built like a maze will quickly attract trash and bullshit if it's not secured after dark.

In terms of zoning - if it's an empty lot, it doesn't matter too much what it's zoned for ... the local council/government group can help you with that process too.

Good luck.

There are walls you'll never get caught at. They are called "chill spots". Exploring is part of the fun of graffiti. Get out of town a little if the search looks bleak. There could be a building in the middle of the woods you didn't know about.

I'm suggesting this because building walls is expensive. I've been to a plywood fabricated legal free wall and it was weak. You need huge walls for productions. Plywood will rot, concrete/cinder block is more expensive than you realize.

The legal free walls we have here (Washington State, USA) are usually backsides of buildings that were previously illegal. The owners give up combating graffiti and make a deal.

You can turn an abandoned building into a free legal wall. I know of one that exists without expressed permission of the owner. It is tolerated because the property owner does not report it.

• 2 weeks later...

injurys a smart dude.. i didnt even think of the getting sued if some dumb shit went down on ur property.. free walls are dope. i think u can also petision for a free wall. ralley up a lot of peeps thatd be for it, say it would help incurage legal means for aerosol art and help decrease vandalism in the community