Clear coat over spray paint

penmanship

Does anyone know of a clear coat type of paint/spray/sealer that would not affect spray paint. I've painted a drum set for a friend and he said he'd like it to be clear coated. I know a lot of sprays will eat into the spray paint, and that some varnishes and sealers will do the same. anyone have any experience in clear coating painted wood/plastic?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ive used krylon clear coat spray over multiple brands of spray paint (mtn hardcore, rusto, krylon). without any issues. never used it on wood or plastic but i clearcoated a couple of my freights that i really like to protect them from sun and weather damage.. kinda geeky but whatever.

i think the main thing is to make sure that the spray paint you are clear coating has had a chance to thoroughly set, like a day or so. then just follow the instructions and dont overspray the clearcoat or the thinner in it will indeed cause your spray paint underneath to run.

Do not spray clear coat onto paint that's still curing/drying.

it will wrinkle and fuck up the paint if it's not completely cured.

It either has to be sprayed within a few minutes of the paint while the paint is still wet and not curing,

or just wait a few hours or a day or two depending on the brand and how long it takes to cure.

Archived