Jackson Pollock graffiti??

somekat

Decoding-Jackson-Pollock.html#

Link to see the letters:

http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/content/jackson-pollock/pollock.html

Link to article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Decoding-Jackson-Pollock.html

It was my wife, Marianne Berardi, who first saw the letters.

We were looking at a reproduction of Jackson Pollock's breakthrough work, Mural, an 8-by 20-foot canvas bursting with physical energy that, in 1943, was unlike anything seen before.

The critic Clement Greenberg, Pollock's principal champion, said he took one look at the painting and realized that "Jackson was the greatest painter this country has produced." A Museum of Modern Art curator, the late Kirk Varnedoe, said Mural established Jackson Pollock as the world's premier modern painter.

I was researching a book about Pollock's lifelong relationship with his mentor, Thomas Hart Benton, the famed regionalist and muralist, when I sat puzzling over a reproduction of Mural after breakfast one morning with Marianne, herself an art historian. She suddenly said she could make out the letters S-O-N in blackish paint in the upper right area of the mural. Then she realized JACKSON ran across the entire top. And finally she saw POLLOCK below that.

The characters are unorthodox, even ambiguous, and largely hidden. But, she pointed out, it could hardly be random coincidence to find just those letters in that sequence.

I was flabbergasted. It's not every day that you see something new in one of the 20th century's most important artworks.

I'm now convinced that Pollock wrote his name in large letters on the canvas—indeed, arranged the whole painting around his name. As far as I can tell, no one has previously made this assertion. Nor is there evidence that Pollock himself, who was loath to talk about his art and left behind few written records, ever mentioned this coded gesture.

I've shared my theory with several Pollock experts. They've had mixed reactions, from "no way" to "far-fetched" to "maybe."

"It's feasible," says Sue Taylor, an art historian at Portland State University, who has studied Pollock's 1942 canvas Stenographic Figure, which includes written symbols. "Pollock would often begin with some sort of figurative device to which he would then respond—and eventually bury under layers of paint. Letters and numbers, moreover, frequently appear in works of the early 1940s."

It may not be possible to answer the question definitively unless scientists use X-ray scanning or some other method to trace which pigments were put down first. At the moment there are no plans to do such an analysis.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Decoding-Jackson-Pollock.html#ixzz0SAcn9eMq

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 months later...

I'm not ready to call BS. His earlier work is weird, plus his ego was through the roof at this point. Later on he lost it and became an alcoholic. Not to mention a lot of artists when they are bored or stuck will turn to unorthodox methods to get started.

Also some of his later work turned more figurative, some out-rightly so.

• 4 months later...