final salute.

lord_casek

8ghq9ox.jpg

The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of "Cat," and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

73l54ib.jpg

The day before the funeral of their friend, 2nd Lt. Jon Mueller, left, and 1st Lt. Matthew Baumann practiced for hours folding a flag, making sure there would be no errors the next day. "That will be the last time his flag is folded," said Maj. Steve Beck, as he instructed them. "It has to be perfect."

6owubo6.jpg

Katherine Cathey pressed her pregnant belly to her husband's casket, moaning softly. The baby, born Dec. 22, 2005, was named James Jeffrey Cathey, Jr.

8absn0h.jpg

As his son's funeral neared, Jeff Cathey's tears rarely stopped. He often found comfort in the men who shared his son's uniform. "Someone asked me what I learned from my son," he said. "He taught me you need more than one friend."

6prfqmt.jpg

Before the burial of James Cathey's body, his casket was covered with the white gloves of the Marines who carried him, along with sand they brought from the beaches of Iwo Jima, and a single red rose.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0604/finalsalute_thumbs.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.