NYC Subways - the good stuff-Best thread on 12 oz!

desism_ktc

BMTs and Ven - two books on my wish list. On the run made that Seen book about 10 years ago - just fliks tho, but still a must have for the collection.

people with insane collections should make books. with online publishing now available you can make abook without going through a traditional publisher and only print as many copies as you need. there no huge profit margin, but hell, when you go through a traditional publisher the author rarely makes any serious money anyway. the publisher takes the biggest risk, so naturally they take the biggest cut. going independent would be a little more expensive for the consumer, but for classic transit i believe people would spend the money. and your not required to print 10,000 copies.

An RTW book...I dont think the world is ready...

I do have a copy of the OTR Seen book and those things go for crazy money. I've seen some sell on ebay for $250. I'd like to see a Seen book that is text heavy to hear more stories. I;ve heard plenty from Rich himself but I know that only scratchs on the surface.

Books on BMT, IND and IRT would be dope to see the different writers that were up on them. I know it would be a crazy thing to do and will never hapen but what about books on every line and the writers that were up on them? So you could get even more detailed on people that were up on them, that would be crazy!!!

I totally agree with you on the self publishing but if you wanna make any kind of money you wanna have the books printed and start your own "publishing company. But it takes money to make money and most people that are going to make a book don't have the money to do that. I know because I am going through all this right now writing IZ's book. I'm still not sure which way i am going to go, i will make that decision when I get a little further along with the project.

An RTW book and a Lee book would be on the top of my list of books I'd want to see happen.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Definitely a Sane/Smith book, and the BMT's would be sweet. Remember EKO and crew, they were rocking the lines ! The FUZZ book is ridiculous, I was just browsing through it again today and the crazy stories were killing me, and they are legit, that's how NYC really was back then.

Definitely a Sane/Smith book, and the BMT's would be sweet. Remember EKO and crew, they were rocking the lines ! The FUZZ book is ridiculous, I was just browsing through it again today and the crazy stories were killing me, and they are legit, that's how NYC really was back then.

I haven't read the book myself but I've looked through it. I've heard from several people that have read it and had first hand knowledge that some of the stories are not completely true and that things were added that didn't happen, again that is just what I heard.

BUT I can tell you 100% for sure that there are photos in that book that are NOT Fuzz's photos and even photos that the captions are wrong. Example, there is a page in the book that says it's Boots119's room but in fact that it is IZ's room. If you look in the pic you will see all the IZ pics hanging up. That is actually IZ's photo for which he got no photo credit nor did they ask for the rights to use the photo.

I haven't read the book myself but I've looked through it. I've heard from several people that have read it and had first hand knowledge that some of the stories are not completely true and that things were added that didn't happen, again that is just what I heard.

BUT I can tell you 100% for sure that there are photos in that book that are NOT Fuzz's photos and even photos that the captions are wrong. Example, there is a page in the book that says it's Boots119's room but in fact that it is IZ's room. If you look in the pic you will see all the IZ pics hanging up. That is actually IZ's photo for which he got no photo credit nor did they ask for the rights to use the photo.

You are right about that. Things added that weren't true. I am friends with Pavo TMT. There is a story about Fuzz saving Pavo because he didn't know how to swim back then. I mentioned it to Pavo when the book first came out. I was on the phone with Pavo, and I could feel the heat coming over the phone. Dude was pissed. He said that he knew how to swim since he was very young, and couldn't believe that was printed in a book. I can't speak on anything else in the book, but that one section was certainly false.

Quite honestly i was a bit disapointed when he told me that, and I lost interest in reading the rest of it.

I definitely don't know anything for certain about every fact or detail in his particular stories, but the NYC atmosphere in general back then was definitely along the lines he describes. Those were some crazy, yet wonderful times. Aside from the brutal actions of some individuals, I really miss the true freedom of those days.

yeah - thats what i dug about it too. some of the detail descriptions about the zaney shit that used to go on just growing up in NY in the 70s and 80s i know was true - not so much the actuall stories, but a lot of the background info.., the violent nature of cats, the layups, racking paint, the drug use etc.. but yeah i have read and heard from a few different people that some of the stories were not actual factuals...but since i wasnt there, it still made good reading, which is more than i can say for some books. according to his own testimony, he did a lot of dope. so 30 years later its not hard to believe he got some of the storys a little skewed.

SaneSmith book??? another great idea.

grave - tried to PM you but ur box was full..

there kinda is one already by PHASE2 (father/pioneer originator of style) called

"Style Writing From The Underground, ®evolutions of Aerosol Linguistic"

personally, i'd like to think of this as the bible of "writing" instead of how many claim subway art to be. although, subway art was the original bible since it came before this one and is still highly influential worldwide, especially during the years of the 80s.

TC5 subway era book would be awesome, covering the 70's and 80's.

Also im suprised there has not been a book published about the evolution of style writing (letters), kind of like the Mascots and Mugs book.

The Jack Stewart Book Subway Kings kind of covers a lot of that. Taking it from 70, all the way up to 79. It really is a very informative, and tremendous read if you have never read it. Aside from that the photos are just amazing.

The Jack Stewart Book Subway Kings kind of covers a lot of that. Taking it from 70, all the way up to 79. It really is a very informative, and tremendous read if you have never read it. Aside from that the photos are just amazing.

IZ got jacked in that book too... There is an IZ The Wiz whole car shot in the book but they PS'd the connector together wrong and are missing a photo so it's not the complete car. It's an IRT car and between the doors there are 4 windows, OPPPSSSSSS.... HAHAHA If I had the book here I'd scan it and post it up. Me and IZ laughed about that when I showed it to him.

Phase2 book was great. the way it was printed in Italian and english with both languages on the same page - that coupled with Phase2s abstract linguistics made it hard to follow at times. Additionally, photowise, it dealt exclusevely with the numbers and bronx/manhattan writers in general, like most of the books on transit history. But it is still a good primary source - seeing as how Phase2 is the godfather of style.

Jack Stewars book was dope too - i liked it better than Ph2 book (in spite of the fact that Ph2 was an actual writer/pioneer). I read the dissertation years before Graffiti Kings came out and to me it exhausted the subject of evolution of style more from an unbiased achademic perspective. It was much easier to read.

thats pretty funny about that IZ photo. i hadnt got to that part of the book yet - even more interesting its not like that in the copy of the dissertation. *edit* but something is still wrong with the photo in the dissertation - those two sets of windows should maybe have a door between them:

izmistake.jpg

iz correct.jpg

thats pretty funny about that IZ photo. i hadnt got to that part of the book yet - even more interesting its not like that in the copy of the dissertation. *edit* but something is still wrong with the photo in the dissertation - those two sets of windows should maybe have a door between them:

izmistake.jpg

iz correct.jpg

HAHA Thanks for posting the flicks... It looks like a photo was missing in the dissertation as well because as you said there is no center door on the train. What they did when putting the photo together was the split it in the middle of the third window. There would be the rest of the left side window and the door and then the 2 windows and destination sign. It also doesn't show the panel on the right with the conductors window that has the bottom kick up from the Z, I guess he was missing photos and that's why he said it was "abstract"

Also if you notice on the top of the car IZ did the white cloud aobve the side of the train into the roof. If you look to the left side of the scroll you can see the white background and it goes into the cloud on the roof. He went onto the roof often so if it got buffed or gone over he'd know it was one of his cars... :D

The "confirmed" rumor is its already being pitched and in process and could be in the works shortly...

from 1977-present with a surprise forward by _<insert surprise non MPC writer>_ ;)

a lot of forgotten or unknown history is going to open eyes and even though it may be too late to "redeem" the crew it does have its place with any of these books about NYC subway graffiti

Dope to see a MPC book...

Phase2 book was great. the way it was printed in Italian and english with both languages on the same page - that coupled with Phase2s abstract linguistics made it hard to follow at times. Additionally, photowise, it dealt exclusevely with the numbers and bronx/manhattan writers in general, like most of the books on transit history. But it is still a good primary source - seeing as how Phase2 is the godfather of style.

Jack Stewars book was dope too - i liked it better than Ph2 book (in spite of the fact that Ph2 was an actual writer/pioneer). I read the dissertation years before Graffiti Kings came out and to me it exhausted the subject of evolution of style more from an unbiased achademic perspective. It was much easier to read.

You put me onto that dissertation, and i picked it up about 11 or 12 years ago. I remember reading it a good 2 or 3 times because there was so much info to soak up in there. It's probably better that it was written by a non-writer, because as you stated, it was unbiased.

I bought Phase 2's book when it came out. I remember there being some really nice flix, but I don't remember the read itself really grabbing me. Like you said though, sometimes Phase 2 goes off in a direction which is hard to follow. I noticed that sometimes in the old IGT mags that i used to buy.

Someone mentioned doing a history of every train line, and that it would probably be impossible. I think these days nothing is impossible, or even shocking for that matter. It seems as if books are popping up left, and right. If you had told me in the 80's the amount of books, and magazines that would come out in the years to come I would never of believed it.

The "confirmed" rumor is its already being pitched and in process and could be in the works shortly...

from 1977-present with a surprise forward by _<insert surprise non MPC writer>_ ;)

a lot of forgotten or unknown history is going to open eyes and even though it may be too late to "redeem" the crew it does have its place with any of these books about NYC subway graffiti

Check your PM's GOGP...