serato/ traktor/ mac-books for the oontz

podrido

--> I do a lot of mobile gigs, sweet 16s, mitzhvahs, grad parties, house parties, school dances etc....

Traktor is cool to mess around with, i have used it at gigs along with cd's....relatively easy to use, and free if you know how to download torrents. Only drawback is that the physical aspect isnt there unless you get a midi controller, which can be a bit expensive and a lil difficult to set up (in my exp.) Twisting knobs and moving faders with a mouse sucks.

I use PCDJ regularly before my sets, i just set up a playlist and let it go....gives me time to eat or piss or mack on the chicks lol...

SERATO however, is the truth if you got the cash...and to whoever wanted a serial for it, it wont work cause serato requires a hardware interface. Its pretty much the shit. Just rather expensive, and requires a high powered laptop. THeres lots of support forums and many many many club djs use it!

to be able to really use traktor or pcdj to its full potential, you will need either an external soundcard or similar device.--about $150, but worth if u wanna do mobile djing.

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM VIRTUAL DJ. I KID YOU NOT, Biggest waste of $300 ever, VDJ and the Hercules MK2 midi controller......dont fuck with that shit, its garbage. always crashes, terrible tech support !!

anyone tried TORQ by M-Audio yet?? Ive heard it gives serato a run for its money....

good luck podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Word up M_I

And for those who don't know Serato DOES NOT mix for you.

You still actually play the records on real decks. SO it takes skills

even if you use the tempo tap shit. You can't get by on that alone.

So the white kid shit goes out the window.

You basically trade the crates for a nice Laptop and small black box.

serato is what it is. craft or no craft, see i will still buy records always will why? because i love collecting and digging. i dont understand kids who have never dug for a record getting into djing.

best reply yet. props my dude. i'm out everyday after work hitting the spots. 10 years and it never gets old, always something new.

NerdUnit...there's some slight differences with serato that to the trained ear make a world of difference. you can tell. also, the way most people use serato doesn't take any skill. shit you can pick up in less than a year.

I remember a vid on youtube of someone asking Qbert what he thought of Serato and he said it is definitely the way to go for club DJing but doesnt use it for scratching. That 0.2 second latency starts becoming a problem when you get into those technical scratches.

Hope that helps.

face it...serato or any other type of "live scratch" type .mp3 shit is for 25 year old white kids just getting into dj'ing

orly?

most the stuff i play doesn't come out on vinyl. if that makes me fake in the eyes of someone on the internet, then that's fine. i dj cause it's fun, not cause i'm trying to impress anyone or keep it 'real'. i invented real, i can do as i please now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Word up M_I

And for those who don't know Serato DOES NOT mix for you.

You still actually play the records on real decks. SO it takes skills

even if you use the tempo tap shit. You can't get by on that alone.

So the white kid shit goes out the window.

You basically trade the crates for a nice Laptop and small black box.

well.. there is a vinyl emulator and then there is the cheat function (dont know what its called.. help me out).. it takes no skill to auto bpm your songs and drop the needle directly on a cue point without looking and drop it in loop. if you are using it as if you were spinning vinyl, then yes, it takes skill. there is no tell-tale groove on the record looking up at you telling you where the break is.

but word.. if i had the loot, id be all over it.. i use two decks and a i have a cdj for my mp3s... would get serato if i didnt spend so much loot on vinyl.

peace seeking

i dj within the hip hop realm. started doing it in clubs in 95.

i used to dig, i used to collect, my crews changed hip hop (for better or worse). i used to be a part of smething. now i dj cause its money and free drinks and i get to impress girls and listen to music that i want to listen to for a few hours. keeping it real doesn't really matter to me. mostly because i dont really care about hip hop too much. not new stuff anyway. i like some of it, but i dont care about it. i care about 86-96. unfortunately 86-96 are scratched to shit and skip every 30 seconds. serato doesn't skip.

i agree that something is inherently lost when things become so simple that anyone can do it, but there will always be people who excel and there will always be people who half ass it. i'm doing just fine, so what others are doing doesn't bother me much.

im sorry, i was busy big balling and shot calling.

way to come when i'm out of town.

me and josh are working on getting down there for a couple days soon. possibly for a tuesday, but if not, my sis says we can do someshit at her spot on a wednesday i believe. we can make a flyer and be awesome.