Endangered Species

Ski Mask

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^Georgia Port Authority.... nice cars^^^^^

IATR6408Boxcar.jpg

IATR Lately sent a large amount of their fleet of these to scrap, along with a lot of their other shortline cars that we all love.... sucks ass, but i saw those mcclouds a lot and they were getting beat to shit.

Theyll all be gone soon and that fuckin sucks

i dont know what this car is... if anyone could help me out that would be great! but ive never seen any other like it.

3931456261_84e4c1308a.jpg

In the late 1960s, the State of Georgia started an improvement project for the port at Brunswick, Georgia. In this project, the Colonel's Island Railroad (reporting mark CISD) was created as a part of the Georgia Ports Authority. The CISD operated 33 miles of track in and around the Brunswick area. In 1998, the railroad sold most of its assets and the Golden Isles Terminal Railroad began operating on the line. The Ports Authority retained ownership of the track, but the CISD was disbanded.

There you go

pretty self explanitory. Georgia Ports Authority used to own a small railway serving industry in the ports. the reporting mark was GPA. many ports and docks had similar lines. as industry serving those docks became less and less boxcar-based the ports often sold off the railroad assets to larger companies (CSX, NS,etc.) to reduce expenses.

Looks like this one is now owned by GMRC (Green Mountain Railroad) up in NH and VT. it might have had a few owners inbetween, not sure.

Rule 88 basically states that after 50 years, a car is restricted from interchange service. So that car can only operate on its own line, which of course, for most cars, makes it useless. Its a way of saying that after 50 years, cars need to be scrapped. Their are provisions in this rule that say that if the car is rebuilt in its lifetime, it can exceed those 50 years.

However, as of October 1st 2006, rule 88 now is a 65 year rule, instead of 50 years.

sorry if this sounds stupid, but if a car is rebuilt, how many years are added to its life?

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere, that after a freight car pass's eigibility for a rebuild. Then its aloud a maximum of 20 years of extended service. Before yet again being revaluated for another extension of a maximum 20 years. If its determined, "at that current time of inspection" that the fr8car dosnt meet the minimum standard's & requirements.( AGAIN OF THAT TME ) Then it will be scrapyard.

Im prety sure that these are somewhat newer regulation's.

I would imagen that not much is going to make it past the first extention. But I have seen a few old fuckers out there. I like to look at the build date on some freights. I saw one about a month ago that was marked 11-58. It was rusty as fuck. I thought about doing it, but knew it didnt have much life left in it and wasnt able to get a flick that night. So said screw it. She was a real hooker. Beat up old box.

So yeah, In short I think its 20 years.