should our armed forces disqualify someone because of tattoos?

potholder

I'm not quite following the logic here.

Marine Corps bans large tattoos on arms, legs

By Thomas Watkins - Associated Press Writer

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Oceanside, Calif. — Five tattooed skulls stretch from Marine Cpl. Jeremy Slaton’s right elbow to his wrist, spelling out the word “Death.” He planned to add a tattoo spelling “Life” on his left arm, but that’s on hold because of a Marine policy taking effect Sunday.

The Marines are banning any new, extra-large tattoos below the elbow or the knee, saying such body art is harmful to the Corps’ spit-and-polish image.

Slaton and other grunts are not pleased.

“I guess I’ll get the other half later,” grumbled the 24-year-old leatherneck from Eden Prairie, Minn. “It’s kind of messed up.”

For many Marines, getting a tattoo is a rite of passage. They commonly get their forearms inscribed to remember fallen comrades, combat tours or loved ones, and often ask for exotic designs that incorporate the Marine motto, Semper Fi, or “Always faithful.”

Dozens of Marines from Camp Pendleton, the West Coast’s biggest Marine base, made last-minute trips to tattoo parlors in nearby Oceanside before the ban kicked in.

“This is something I love to do,” said Cpl. David Nadrchal, 20, of Pomona, who made an appointment to get an Iraqi flag and his deployment dates etched onto his lower leg. “The fact I can’t put something on my body that I want — it’s a big thing to tell me I can’t do that.”

Nadrchal said he is unsure whether he will re-enlist: “There’s all these little things. They are slowly chipping away at us.”

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James T. Conway announced the policy change last week.

“Some Marines have taken the liberty of tattooing themselves to a point that is contrary to our professional demeanor and the high standards America has come to expect from us,” he said. “I believe tattoos of an excessive nature do not represent our traditional values.”

The ban is aimed primarily at “sleeve” tattoos, the large and often elaborate designs on the biceps and forearms of many Marines. Similar designs on the lower legs will be forbidden as well. So will very large tattoos on the upper arm, if they are visible when a Marine wears his workout T-shirt. Small, individual tattoos will still be allowed on the arms and legs. (The Marines already ban them on the hands.)

Marines already tattooed are exempt from the ban but cannot add to their designs; anyone caught with fresh ink in the wrong places could be barred from re-enlistment or face disciplinary action. Getting a prohibited tattoo could constitute a violation of a lawful order, punishable by up to two years in prison and a dishonorable discharge, Marine spokesman 1st Lt. Brian Donnelly said.

who cares if people who are trained to kill humans have ink on their skin? shouldn't our armed forces be accepting any recruits they can get these days?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest R@ndomH3ro

Its for professionalism

I see how it seems a good idea...the Marines really take pride in their "CORPS" and dont want to look like street thugs.

Its really going to put a damper on the whole tradition of earning the globe and eagle when your a full Marine.

Oh well I guess your just going to have to get a different spot to tattoo "SEMPER FI"

Oh...and I am not a Marine...I'm to smart for that....

Also I am not in the military anymore, I am a government employee...I can do what I want, to a point ;)

Guest R@ndomH3ro
but this really sucks

it feels like every civil liberty is being slowly eroded away

it really sucks

Also when you join the Military you relinquish your rights to civil liberties for the Uniform Code of Military Justice...its in your contract.

I enlisted a few years back and after all the testing and yada yada I got disqualified before I went to boot camp because I have a tattoo behind my ear and on my foot.

Gay.

Its definitely all about professionalism. Women wear their hair back and have to wear heels.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
I am getting hawaiian pizza tattoo on the back of my dome...

We don't want you anyways fatty

you are to soft for the service...we only want the brave and the bold!

Guest R@ndomH3ro
haha. its funny that the military doesnt want their corps looking like street thugs, because if it wasnt for the vietnam war, there wouldnt be half as many biker gangs. i garuntee they supply alot of buisness to the tatoo industree too.

Vietnam was a different era....most people in military service where drafted.

You cant make that comparison today as ALL people in US Military Service volunteered.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
so now they accept people with criminal records but no tattooed...

When did that happen?

Must be the Navy because the Army does not accept anyone with a criminal record.

the new army regs alow hand tattoos and tattoos behind the jaw line.. its shitty the frist week of the regs i had 4 dude come in and want to get bang bang on the kuckles before they deployed.. pretty much said no your all retards you will thank me later!

the marines rules i belive are.. no more then 20% on one member of your body tattooed..

the navy realy dont give a fuck..

and the airforce they dont want to beable to see them out of pt top and shorts..

Guest R@ndomH3ro
the new army regs alow hand tattoos and tattoos behind the jaw line.. its shitty the frist week of the regs i had 4 dude come in and want to get bang bang on the kuckles before they deployed.. pretty much said no your all retards you will thank me later!

the marines rules i belive are.. no more then 20% on one member of your body tattooed..

the navy realy dont give a fuck..

and the airforce they dont want to beable to see them out of pt top and shorts..

You are right on the Army...but you have to have a commanders letter in your records to get a tattoo on your hand. How likely is that....its not

Marines are changing their Reg this weekend

Navy is the same as the Marines..(since the Department of the Navy controls the Marines)

Air Force is no more the 20% of your body.

All tattoos must be of good taste and non-offensive or racist.