I've never actually been to Australia...

livetodestro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's an australian thing.

Guess so, I just thought it was an English thing because I heard it first from the mouths of Britons... and they are SO GOOD at being racist... I swear, have you read Ian Fleming?

Aussies I've met may come off a little racist but I find that it's because they are just kinda naturally crass and a little nervous about new things but the Aussies posses an avidness the British just don't...

Like if you're with an Aussie and they are acting skittish about doing something, all you have to do is dare them and maybe promise a beer and it's all "AW YIH!! Watch this mate!"... not really as much with Britons, that country is still like 70% pussy and I'm not speaking on the female population.

I fully agree. Where I'm from we have the exact same people... only they aren't Lebonese! Alot of them are Asian but most of them are white and they all do the exact same thing. They meet up on less traveled roads every sunday with their suped up cars and drag-race and do burnouts and all that shit. They do get fucked with by the pigs, the only difference is the pigs here are quick to crack skulls and confiscate cars and lock niggas up for basically even being there. And what's all this talk about them looking like thugs? The dudes in this video dress like any average working class white guy. A couple of them clearly state in that video that they work hard for a living and are just unwinding and having fun. The same shit we do when we go to a bars on the strip and get wasted and have a good time. In fact back in the 50's my grandfather used to drag race for titles and was always sitting on cars that he won and had stories about how they would wild out all drunk and drag-race every weekend and the cops would come and chase them but he always got away. The same shit these lobonese cats are doing. And he was a World WarII war hero. Are there not white people that drag race in Australia?

Australians don't care when ethnic groups don't fully embrace 'aussie' culture. (live in their own communities and dont learn english etc). i prefer it, its dope being able to go to a vietnamese area, pick a restaurant, and have mad eats for little money. It's since middle easterners have began to appear to openly resent austalian culture that shit has escalated. didn't you get any sense of antagonism from those guys in the parking lot laughing about anzac day and WWII veterans? If a white dude had walked through that parking lot there would probably have been trouble. On one new years eve when i was 15, i was with a group of boys (of many races) and we got badly jumped for no reason. they were well-dressed (suits and shit) in their lates 20s and early 30s. Thats just wack

And don't be quick to assume that they resent australian culture because we didn't give them a fair go. There are way more asian immigrants here (than lebs) and there is no racial problem with them.

Australian society gives immigrants a FAR BETTER GO, than american society does. There is decent welfare here, public health and education is good, the judicary system is fair, australian government has generally been comparibly liberal in the past, there isn't alot of poverty here, and there FAR less instituational and cultural racism than in america.

But alot of these young lebanese guys like to think of themselves as victims, and think that they have a right to bash whoever them want, be gansgters, and be generally disrespectful to Aus society

Ah... The Collins Australian Dictionary defines a Gollywog as "... a black faced, goggle eyed fantastically dressed doll... "

This explains why I am only familiar with the term in so much as it relates to black people, but knowing the British penchant for xenophobia I had kind of assumed it was broadly applied... still I kinda wondered how it applied to Greeks.

gollywog was also the name of a tastey chocolate biscuit shaped like a little african kid, available from my primary school canteen in the early nineties....

Australians don't care when ethnic groups don't fully embrace 'aussie' culture. (live in their own communities and dont learn english etc). i prefer it, its dope being able to go to a vietnamese area, pick a restaurant, and have mad eats for little money. It's since middle easterners have began to appear to openly resent austalian culture that shit has escalated. didn't you get any sense of antagonism from those guys in the parking lot laughing about anzac day and WWII veterans? If a white dude had walked through that parking lot there would probably have been trouble. On one new years eve when i was 15, i was with a group of boys (of many races) and we got badly jumped for no reason. they were well-dressed (suits and shit) in their lates 20s and early 30s. Thats just wack

And don't be quick to assume that they resent australian culture because we didn't give them a fair go. There are way more asian immigrants here (than lebs) and there is no racial problem with them.

Australian society gives immigrants a FAR BETTER GO, than american society does. There is decent welfare here, public health and education is good, the judicary system is fair, australian government has generally been comparibly liberal in the past, there isn't alot of poverty here, and there FAR less instituational and cultural racism than in america.

But alot of these young lebanese guys like to think of themselves as victims, and think that they have a right to bash whoever them want, be gansgters, and be generally disrespectful to Aus society

I can feel that. I was under the impression that yall were just hating on them for being forigners and acting up like everyone else does. Like I said I never actually been there. I just looked at this video and they reminded me of the street racing scene here and I was just amazed at how professional the cops were toward them. Then a little thrown off at the racist hate that GRAFFITI WRITERS of all people were throwing at them for breaking the law and wilding out. But after watching that video I could hardly see them being victimized by the cops when the cops weren't doing shit more than writing them tickets... even after being taunted and chalenged to a fight. The cops here should be more like that.

There are so many posts in this thread that I want to comment on, but alot of what has been said is fucking bullshit and incredibly ignorant. Don't let the media of all things change your perception of what is really going on.

THIS IS THE BEST POST IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD AND THERE CAN BE NO MORE... UM... BETTER!

It says absolutely nothing other than:

"I'm outraged about something nobody else has had a real problem with yet... and... they're stupid... and I blame the media!"

And anyone who's truly followed my 'career' around here knows that I elevate this sort of ambiguity to the highest pedestal of the conversational arts.

BRAVO!

(and please don't get pissed and try to explain what you were really saying, it's better this way!)