American Accents

HardyHarHar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i hear everyone in canadia has an american accent. well, obviously not everyone, but most people.

i also found it very unsettling when i heard an asian with a full on american accent.

No, no, people in Canada have their own accent. Maybe it's hard for foreigners to hear, but, trust me, it's way different than American accents. Just listen to them say "about," it sounds like "aboot."

i love different accents, listening to peoples accents is mad comical.

And Americans butcher Arabic, trust me,

People don't realize that an accent can change the whole meaning of an

Arabic word or even elongating a syllable or shortening it can change the whole meaning from a statement to a question or worse.

My favorite is Arabs who move to the south and catch a southern drawl, I know an egyption who sounds half Hosni Mubarak and half Boss Hog from Porky's

I heard that George Bush senior purposely pronounced Saddam Hussein's name like 'sattim' instead of more like 'suhdom'... apparently he did it because the change of accent made the word mean something like 'donkey fucker'.

Also, one of my friends back in Alabama had an adopted sister from Korea but she came to the US when she was a baby so, by age 3 she had a FULL ON 'southern belle' accent. Instead of 'button' she said 'buh-in' in a way that practically dripped honeysuckle.

i hear everyone in canadia has an american accent. well, obviously not everyone, but most people.

i also found it very unsettling when i heard an asian with a full on american accent.

I always wondered why I meet so many asians with names like Bob, Bruce, Jack or Steve .

It always struck me as weird because most people move to America from other countries keep their names of ethnic origin, but 1st or 2nd generation asians name their kids with the most apple pie american sounding names possible.

just an observation.

I always wondered why I meet so many asians with names like Bob, Bruce, Jack or Steve.

When I was in 7th grade my Kung-fu teacher's little brother came to our school (he was in 6th). He had been to Kung-fu quite a few times and I knew him as 'Tom'. In fact, I knew all of Ming's family so I was kinda suprised when the yearbook came out and Tom wasn't in it, but there was some kid named Dug Tran... looked like Tom's twin brother.

Swear to god it took me like 3 weeks to figure out that they were the same kid. I was all confused about howcome I'd never met Dug.

• 2 weeks later...

My teachers have PhDs and MBAs and still poor in English...

Well, since countries are embracing globalization, the people are trying to embrace the American culture as well. To be accepted in the majority, you have to be one of them, and those american names are easy to pronounce...

Archived