mind-reading computers are here

lord_casek

Yeah, no, definitely. I think there's amazing potential for awesome good uses in that, I just chuckled when I read it and it was explicitly Big Brotherish.

As for the blur, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'd say the development stage progress-wise of what Second Life is (virtual society) is around the same development stage we are at with physical integration (borg shit), and soon enough, they'll start complementing each other. I think they'll perfectly merge at some point which will probably be considered the singularity, or at least the birth of AI.

*I think AI will come before that though, and not from a lab like everyone expects it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran into this somewhat old manifesto by AI researchers at Novamente. I particularly liked these two paragraphs at the end:

Weird? Scary? To be sure. Exciting? Amazing? To be sure, as well. Inevitable? An increasing number of techno-visionaries think so. Some, like Bill Joy, have retreated into neo-Ludditism, believing that technology is a big danger and advocating careful legal control of AI, nanotech, biotech and related things. Turchin is progressing ahead as fast as possible, building the technology needed for the next phase of the revolution, careful to keep an eye on the ethical issues as he innovates, hoping his pessimism about human nature will be proved wrong. As for us, we tend to be optimists. Life isn’t perfect, plants and animals aren’t perfect, humans aren’t perfect, computers aren’t perfect – but yet, the universe has a wonderful way of adapting to its mistakes and turning even ridiculous errors into wonderful new forms.

The dark world of tyranny and fear described in the writings of cyberpunk authors like William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, and in films such as The Matrix and Blade Runner, is certainly a possibility. But there’s also the possibility of less troubling relationships between humans and their machine counterparts, such as we see in the writings of transrealist authors like Rudy Rucker and Stanislaw Lem, and in film characters like Star Trek’s Data and Star Wars’ R2-D2 and C3P0. We believe, through ethical treatment of humans, machines, and information, that a mutually beneficial human-machine union within a global society of mind can be achieved. The ethical and ontological issues of identity, privacy, and selfhood are every bit as interesting and challenging as the engineering issues of AI, and we need to avoid the tendency to set them aside because they’re so difficult to think about. But these things are happening – right now we’re at the beginning, not the end, of this revolution; and the potential rewards are spectacular -- enhanced perception, greater memory, greater cognitive capacity, and the possibility of true cooperation among all intelligent beings on earth.

Archived