Home Brew

AREANKAY

Oh god, anything but mrbeer...

Irish moss, yeah, I use it all the time, it clears stuff up pretty well.

As far as equiptment to get started, I think I bought my first set of equiptment for either 45 or 65 bucks... ingredients for one batch, somewhere around 20 bucks (5 gallons of beer, about 55 bottles for 2 bucks... not to bad). I think I dropped 100 bucks when I first bought all of my stuff, and then upgraded from there...

Start to finish on a brew day, for a beginner using malt extract? 2 or 3 hours, a week or so fermenting, and 3 hours of bottling (and then 3-4 weeks of conditioning in the bottle). Not all that time consuming. The further I got into it, the more time it was taking me. Typical brew day for me is around 6 hours on a short day, 8 for something more complicated. Trying to brew on an electric stove sucks more than I can ever describe. Bottling still takes me 3 hours or so, kegs, maybe an hour and a half.

Oh, the easy answer for time frame start to finish, about a month if you sorta rush it, month and a half to do it right. Fastest start to finish? Wheat beers in kegs... 2 weeks flat.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad brews his own beer. He won third place in a local homebrewers compatition and placed 12 in the national in his catagory. He's building some sort of top secret homebrew machine he designed himself. I suggest you find a local brew on premises place and they will walk you through the whole process and make sure things go right, it'll cost you like 60-100 and you'll leave with like a couple+ cases of beer. So go in on it with someone or get super smashed and trashed.