<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

Get out the tools you'll need.

* Non-magnetic screwdriver (for opening your case)

* Your graphics card install guide

* Your computer manual

Step 2 Uninstall the driver for your current graphics card.

If you do not currently have a graphics card installed in your system, go to step 3.

If you do have a graphics card installed in your system, we recommend uninstalling the software (called the "driver") that allows your operating system to use your graphics card. You should configure your system to use the standard VGA driver included in your operating system. If you aren't sure how to do this, you can find instructions in the online or printed documentation for your operating system.

Step 3 Ground yourself.

Static electricity can damage your module and other computer parts. You need to ground yourself to avoid "shocking" your computer. If you have wrist straps designed for this purpose, you should wear them. If you don't have wrist straps, here is the easiest way to ground yourself:

* Turn off the computer, monitor, and all accessories (printer, speakers, etc.)

* Leave the computer power cord plugged in. (It's OK to unplug your accessories if you like.)

* Briefly touch an unpainted metal part of your computer case.

* Plant your feet and don't walk around. If you do need to walk around, ground yourself again before touching any of the internal parts of your computer.

Step 4 Disconnect your display cable

ct_vc_install_1.gif

Disconnect your display cable Your display cable connects your computer and your monitor. You'll need to unplug this cable from the back of your computer before you install your new graphics card.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Step 5 Open your computer case.

Every computer case is a little different, so consult your manual if you have any questions about how to open your case. (Note: The memory for Apple iMacs is installed in the back of the monitor. Your iMac manual and the Apple Web site have instructions for opening your system.)

* If you haven't already done so, turn off the computer, monitor, and all accessories (printer, speakers, etc.)

* Remove any screws holding your cover in place.

* Remove the desktop cover.

Tip: Make sure you put the screws from your computer case in a safe place so that it's easy to put your system back together again!

Step 6 Locate Your AGP or PCI Express slot and Remove Your Existing Graphics Card.

ct_vc_install_2.gif

If you don't have a graphics card currently installed, you'll still need to locate the AGP or PCI Express slot on your motherboard. This is where your new graphics card will go. AGP or PCI Express slots are usually brown and located near the processor. You may need to remove the metal blank that covers the panel for the graphics card on the back of your computer.

Remove existing graphics card If you do have a graphics card currently installed, you'll need to remove the screw that holds the graphics card in place. (Save the screw, because you'll need it to install your new graphics card.) Then lift the card straight up out of the slot.

Tip: If the card sticks, rock it back and forth gently and try removing it again.

Note: If you have onboard graphics, you may need to disable it on your motherboard. If you have any questions, check your system documentation. If you aren't sure if you have onboard graphics, check your computer manual.

Tip: If you have a minitower system, it may be easier to install your graphics card if you lay your computer on its side.

Step 7 Install Your New Graphics Card.

ct_vc_install_3.gif

Install new graphics card Holding your card by the top edge, line up the pins in your card with the AGP or PCI Express slot. Press down firmly to insert your card in the socket.

Tip: Try to avoid touching the gold pins at the bottom of your graphics card. You probably won't harm them if you do touch them, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

ct_vc_install_4.gif

Replace screw Replace the screw to hold your graphics card in place.

Step 8 Reassemble Your System.

Congratulations! You have successfully installed your new graphics card! Replace your computer cover. Plug your display cable into the connector on your newly installed graphics card. Also, reconnect any other cables you might have unplugged during the installation process.

Step 9 Installing the Driver for Your New Graphics Card

Tools that you will need for installing the drivers:

* Your computer manual

* The CD that came with your graphics card

Identifying New Hardware

Begin by turning on your system. You may be prompted to restart your computer. If so, click Yes to restart your computer. If your system launches the "Update Device Driver Wizard," follow the instructions below. If your system does not launch this wizard, skip the steps below and go to Installing the Graphics Card Driver.

1. Click Next.

2. Click Finish.

3. Insert your Windows installation CD in your CD-ROM drive.

4. Click OK.

5. If you have Windows 98SE, type D:\WIN98.

If you have Windows ME, type D:\WINME.

(If your CD-ROM drive is not your D drive, replace D with the correct letter.)

6. Click OK.

7. Click Yes to reboot your system.

8. Follow the instructions for Installing the Graphics Card Driver below.

Installing the Graphics Card Driver

1. Insert the driver installation CD that came with your graphics card in your CD-ROM drive. If your system begins running the CD automatically, go to step 6.

2. Click Start.

3. Click Run.

4. Type D:\SETUP (If your CD-ROM drive is not your D drive, replace D with the correct letter.)

5. Click OK.

6. Click ATi Easy Install.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation.

Step 10 Troubleshooting

If you have trouble with your new graphics card, we recommend the following:

1. Remove the graphics card and reinstall it, making sure that it is firmly installed in your AGP or PCI Express slot.

2. Double-check that all the cables inside your computer are connected securely. You may have knocked one of the cables inside your computer loose during installation.

3. Double-check that the display cable is securely connected to both your monitor and your computer.

4. Review your system documentation and disable the on-board graphics on your motherboard if necessary.

do the same as above step 1-5 we will start with step 6 here

Step 6 Locate Your AGP or PCI Express slot and Remove Your Existing Graphics Card.

ct_vc_install_2.gif

If you don't have a graphics card currently installed, you'll still need to locate the AGP or PCI Express slot on your motherboard. This is where your new graphics card will go. AGP or PCI Express slots are usually brown and located near the processor. You may need to remove the metal blank that covers the panel for the graphics card on the back of your computer.

Remove existing graphics card If you do have a graphics card currently installed, you'll need to remove the screw that holds the graphics card in place. (Save the screw, because you'll need it to install your new graphics card.) Then lift the card straight up out of the slot.

Tip: If the card sticks, rock it back and forth gently and try removing it again.

Note: If you have onboard graphics, you may need to disable it on your motherboard. If you have any questions, check your system documentation. If you aren't sure if you have onboard graphics, check your computer manual.

Tip: If you have a minitower system, it may be easier to install your graphics card if you lay your computer on its side.

Step 7 Install Your New Graphics Card.

ct_vc_install_3.gif

Install new graphics card Holding your card by the top edge, line up the pins in your card with the AGP or PCI Express slot. Press down firmly to insert your card in the socket.

Tip: Try to avoid touching the gold pins at the bottom of your graphics card. You probably won't harm them if you do touch them, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Replace screw ct_vc_install_4.gif Replace the screw to hold your graphics card in place.

Hey Mainter, wondering if you can help me. my computer at work completely crashed and i cannot even get to the desktop. the first message after the crash was on a blue screen and said to restart the computer and chkdsk /F. well i tried to restart the computer and it keeps giving me the message to insert systems disk (or something). i need to find out how to fix it before i get back to work, and since i can't access the internet from work since computer is down i'd appreciate your help.

hope that's enough information...

Step 8 Reassemble Your System.

Congratulations! You have successfully installed your new graphics card! Replace your computer cover. Plug your display cable into the connector on your newly installed graphics card. Also, reconnect any other cables you might have unplugged during the installation process.

Step 9 Installing the Driver for Your New Graphics Card

Tools that you will need for installing the drivers:

* Your computer manual

* The CD that came with your graphics card

Identifying New Hardware

Begin by turning on your system. You may be prompted to restart your computer. If so, click Yes to restart your computer. If your system launches the "Update Device Driver Wizard," follow the instructions below. If your system does not launch this wizard, skip the steps below and go to Installing the Graphics Card Driver.

1. Click Next.

2. Click Finish.

3. Insert your Windows installation CD in your CD-ROM drive.

4. Click OK.

5. If you have Windows 98SE, type D:\WIN98.

If you have Windows ME, type D:\WINME.

(If your CD-ROM drive is not your D drive, replace D with the correct letter.)

6. Click OK.

7. Click Yes to reboot your system.

8. Follow the instructions for Installing the Graphics Card Driver below.

Installing the Graphics Card Driver

1. Insert the driver installation CD that came with your graphics card in your CD-ROM drive. If your system begins running the CD automatically, go to step 6.

2. Click Start.

3. Click Run.

4. Type D:\SETUP (If your CD-ROM drive is not your D drive, replace D with the correct letter.)

5. Click OK.

6. Click ATi Easy Install.

7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation.

Step 10 Troubleshooting

If you have trouble with your new graphics card, we recommend the following:

1. Remove the graphics card and reinstall it, making sure that it is firmly installed in your AGP or PCI Express slot.

2. Double-check that all the cables inside your computer are connected securely. You may have knocked one of the cables inside your computer loose during installation.

3. Double-check that the display cable is securely connected to both your monitor and your computer.

4. Review your system documentation and disable the on-board graphics on your motherboard if necessary.

Hey Mainter, wondering if you can help me. my computer at work completely crashed and i cannot even get to the desktop. the first message after the crash was on a blue screen and said to restart the computer and chkdsk /F. well i tried to restart the computer and it keeps giving me the message to insert systems disk (or something). i need to find out how to fix it before i get back to work, and since i can't access the internet from work since computer is down i'd appreciate your help.

hope that's enough information...

well something major happened (got deleted) we working with xp here?

what it looks like is some how the master boot sector got corrupted and i take it you tried to do the chkdsk /f with no result because you can not get to windows DOS command line correct?

THIS IS THE PART IM HAVING TROUBLE WITH...IT WONT FIT IN...ITS LIKE THE SMALLEST AMOUNT OF SPACE DIFFERENCE

you might actually have to push pretty damn hard to get it all the way in there. i was installing memory for my laptop, and the shit just wouldn't go in all the way... out of fear i gave my friend to see what was wrong with it. he looked at it, snapped the fucker in, and everything was good to go...

Step 1: Begin the repair process

* You must boot from your XP or 2000 CD. Please make sure it is the same version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer (ex. XP Home cannot upgrade XP Professional). Place the CD in your CDROM and start your computer. Newer versions will work as well (ie. Windows XP Pro SP1 CD will work on an older WinXP Pro non-SP1 installation)

Before the Windows logo appears, you will be asked to press any key to boot from CD, so do just that.

If you are unable to boot from the XP/2000 CD, then please check the last step in this short guide.

Step 2: System repair steps

* A blue screen will appear and will begin loading XP setup from the CD.

RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:

You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

Once completed, you will be confronted with "Windows Setup". You will be asked to setup up Windows, or repair Windows with the recovery console. Choose the FIRST option, NOT recovery console.

2.gif

Choose F8 to continue.

3.gif

* Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP/2000 installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation or install a fresh copy of Windows XP/2000.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

4.gif

* That should be it. Windows XP/2000 will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, have your CD-KEY handy and hope for the best!

CDROM NOT BOOTABLE: If the XP/2000 CD does not boot...

* Many computers out there are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your computer being incorrect for CDROM booting.

You have two options:

1.) You can change this in the BIOS during POST, which is usually the very first screen displayed by your computer when you turn it on.

2.) Many newer computers have a selectable boot menu by tapping F8, F10 OR F12 right during/after the first POST screen. This will allow you to temporarily boot from a CDROM.

To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most users with Dell, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Many Toshiba laptops are F2 or require you hold the ESC key when you turn the system on. Your notebook will report an error and prompt to press F1 to enter setup. Do exactly that.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, but F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S or CTRL + ALT + S are the most common ones I'm familiar with. Often, the BIOS will display what button to press to "enter setup" during POST.

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different, but here is an example:

bios.gif

^^^ that wasnt for me right??? now im confsued as hell

but yeah....card=AGP, computer= PCI

is there anyway to make this work?

no that was not for you

no AGP and PCI are not even close