any bass players out there??

the_gooch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

im left handed and when i was going to buy a bass i was told by many people who already play guitar and bass that i should just pick up a right handed one if ive never played either instrument before. i took their advice and everything worked out just fine.

Originally posted by cygnus@Jan 11 2006, 05:49 PM

im left handed and when i was going to buy a bass i was told by many people who already play guitar and bass that i should just pick up a right handed one if ive never played either instrument before. i took their advice and everything worked out just fine.

i took guitar lessons as a kid and it was on a right handed one, it never felt comfortable. i think it would just be easier for me w/ a left handed one.

thanks for the info (everyone).

Originally posted by Tyler Durden@Jan 11 2006, 06:50 PM

Why are you going to buy a bass?

Theres about 10,000 other things you could/should do.

i had a dream the other night i was playing "hand of doom" by black sabbath.

seriously.

but i've always wanted to learn how to play bass. and if i can get one cheap, why not. just think of the cool songs i'll write and then you'll beg me to leave them on your voice mail.

Guest Dyptheria

you should get a Fender Precision bass. those are the cheapest of the best. it'll run you only a couple hundred bucks, and the sound and feel of the neck is ten times better than the cheap squier.

you'll find that after playing a while that you won't be able to get any better using the squier cuz the way the tension and action feels will limit your technique. Tension and Action are the terms for how hard you have to press down and how close the strings are to the fret board, respectively.

also be sure to get regular stock-pickups. don't get Active pickups. active pickups make your bass sopund fake, as if its a keyboard trying to sound like a bass. plus you have to open up your bass and change the battery every couple of months, and it's just a pain in the ass.

they came out with active pick ups during the 80 electric sounding metal scene and new wave. today, overproduced pop bands use them. just stick with smooth natural sounding normal pickups.

that's my advice

excellent, thanks!

i have to go to guitar center and take a look at some stuff. i picked that rogue one cause it was pretty cheap and had some good reviews. i've also noticed that most places don't carry a ton of left handed ones, and the ones that they do carry are more than i'm willing to pay at the moment. i just want something decent to kick around while i teach myself.

Guest Dyptheria

As far as amps go, i would really recommend THIS AMP

it's 60 watts and has a 12" speaker, and it's only like $250 or so. its great sounding for practice, and it'll work in a year when you're ready to start playing with other musicians. i used to play in a band with a bassist who had two of these and he would play live shows with them, they get that loud.

talk to the guy at guitar center, he'll try to make a quick sale, but if you throw the info i shared with you, about the feel of the fret board making it harder to learn, he'll take you seriously and want to help you and point you in the right direction

Here's a link to the Fender P bass

Guest Dyptheria

that bass looks cool. i think you'll have a good time learning on it. for 130 bucks, you can't go wrong.

i was just thinking far into the future, cuz if you got more serious about it, you'll want to get a better one. but that one looks like you'll do fine with it.

good luck learning.

whatever you do, dont get a squire bass or amp. theyre just terrible.

the fender jazz bass plays nice, a slick, fast feel on the neck and have a distinct sound. p-basses have a heavier sound and have wider frets, (the part where you press your finger(s) on the neck.) and depending on what you like, are easier to play. it all depends on what you feel is right. i would also reccommend getting a few lessons just so you dont get caught up in bad habits.

0194490700_xl.jpg

american made models will run from $800 and up. i would reccommend starting off with a mexican made ($180-300) and see how you like it. guitar center carries all this shit and so does sam ash which is right around the corner, but guitar center is cheaper with most of their stuff, larger store, ect.