The War on Drugs

GnomeToys

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1528:

Most of this bill looks like standard war on drugs bullshit, but pay attention to all the new mandatory minimums. Of course, under Patriot Act II you can be hauled off and killed for any of these things anyway, but this is pretty bad. I've made bold the mandatory narc-ing in case you're just skimming.

-------------------------------------

From http://www.drugpolicy.org

H.R. 1528, Defending America's Most Vulnerable: Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act of 2005, is one of the worst drug war bills that Congress has ever considered.

Among other things, HR 1528:

--Virtually eliminates the ability of federal judges to give sentences below the minimum sentence recommended by federal sentencing guidelines, essentially creating a mandatory minimum sentence for every federal offense (including both drug and non-drug offenses).

--Expands the federal “three strikes and you’re out” law to include new offenses, including mandating life imprisonment (with no possibility of parole) for anyone convicted a third time under the RAVE Act.

--Mandates a 10-year minimum sentence for anyone 21 or older that gives marijuana or others drugs to someone under 18 (i.e. a 21 year old college students gives a joint to his 17-year old brother). A second offense would be life in prison.

--Expands what is considered to be a “drug-free” school zone to include almost any place in an urban area, and increases penalties for selling or distributing drugs in that area. (The result will be enhanced penalties for people in inner cities, while people in rural and suburban areas get less time for the same offense).

--Mandates a 5-year minimum sentence for any person that commits a drug trafficking offense near the presence of a person under 18 or in a place where such person resides for any period of time. The sentence is 10 years if they are parent. (I.e. a mother that sells her neighbor a joint will get a 10-year minimum sentence, even if her kids were at school at the time).

--Creates a new offense for persons who witness or learn about certain drug offenses that fail to report the drug offender to the police within 24 hours or fail to provide full assistance to the police in tracking and prosecuting the offender. Offenses that would get someone a 2-year minimum sentence, including failing to report a neighbor that is storing or selling drugs when that neighbor has kids, failing to report anyone that gives a joint to someone under the age of 21, and failing to report a college student that is selling marijuana on a college campus.

--Mandates a 5-year minimum sentence for any person that offers, solicits, encourages, or induces a person enrolled in drug treatment, or previously enrolled in drug treatment, to purchase, possess or receive drugs.

--Makes it a federal crime to provide "drug paraphernalia" to anyone. While the goal is to make it a crime - punishable by up to three years in prison - to give someone a bong as a birthday present, it would also make it a federal crime to provide someone with sterile syringes (except where it is explicitly authorized by local or state law). If enacted, it would essentially criminalize many needle exchange programs.

The full text of H.R. 1528 can be viewed by going to http://thomas.loc.gov/ , entering “HR1528” in the search box, checking the “enter bill number” circle under the search box, and clicking “search”.

-----------------------------

Send a letter to your Senator

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've got a good friend that moved to Germany two years ago and is now happily employed at a large brewery. I'm considering that option if he can get me a job there, aber meine deutsch ist nicht so gut. I'm sure I'd pick it back up if I was exposed to it on a regular basis.

it seems as though the people have lost control of this country. i think it might have been lost long ago to corporate govt officials who like profiteering and extortionist behaviour.

there's a schism. the people and the govt. a perfect divide.

on a side note: i tried to get in canada. applied and had a canadian attorney look it over. apparently i don't qualify. and somehow faux news says that canada accepts terorists, but the won't take little ole' me? wtf canada? wtf?

My dead grandmother was Canadian. Would that help me to qualify? I would totally live in Canada. I hear the taxes are off the chain though. My friend got locked up in Canada and they gave him xanax to help get through the month.

this is crazy talk... i cant even believe this.

yes, taxes are pretty high, but theres alot of benefits.

most canadians bitch about taxes and how they get nothing back or out of it, but they dont even look at what the state offers in terms of social housing, subsidies, grants, job training, etc etc...

why arent americans protesting these things? does noone want to get involved? or is it just a case of mass apathy?

Mass apathy plus the fact that it's actually too late now. Protesters get gassed beaten and shot with rubber bullets. and our "elections" are a lie. The only thing to do is either flee to another country or prey for the UN or some shit to remove our government from power, and set up a Democracy.

Any attempt at a "revolution" would end with everyone involved either disapearing or being charged with "terrorism".

The drug policy page handled more than 4,500 letters being sent to senators within a day of the post being made, but unfortunately most people either don't care or are uneducated about such things. Sentors & Congressmen are not representations of the people in their districts after they are elected. Marijuana would be a legal drug right now if they were.

Coke & Meth in their illegal forms, the current demon drugs, are in my opinion nothing compared to the problem of the current high school generation's pharma funded addiction to amphetamine & ritalin.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by GnomeToys@May 19 2005, 10:49 AM

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1528:

--Creates a new offense for persons who witness or learn about certain drug offenses that fail to report the drug offender to the police within 24 hours or fail to provide full assistance to the police in tracking and prosecuting the offender.

Send a letter to your Senator

Article 5

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

This disturbs me greater in light of that little girl who was just molested and buried alive in Florida. When the police went to the home where the registered sex offender was living the people denied it and it turned out were lying. Had the police known, it possibly could have expedited the capture and possibly saved the girl...of course there is no law compelling them to speak (which I agree with, though here it is sad)...where was the outcry and congress when that happened?

Archived