Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

4x...slower than slow. I always burn my ISOs slow.

I forgot to run digestIT to check the md5.

This one is all good. It should work if I overlay over SLAX, according to Mainter.

Cleaning out the Prefetch File

By deleting everything:

DO NOT REMOVE OR DELETE THE ->(layout.ini)<- FILE WHICH RESIDES IN XP'S PREFETCH FOLDER OR YOU WILL SLOW DOWN YOUR PC AT START UP AND WHEN YOU OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAMS

Once it is gone it can stay gone on some PC'S forever and your Prefetch Folder will never work again no matter what you do in the registry to try to rectify the problem.

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 12:28 PM

my pc takes a long fuckin time to boot up... and sometimes it gets kinda slow (mostly when i have multiple applications open at the same time)... what can i check for or do to try to speed things up a little without the risk of losin anything?

[attachmentid=29488]

*questions usually end with a "?"

now it should not matter about your boot time if you multi programs while windows is running and its slow it has to do with your memory which you have 2gb another thing it may be is the processer does your processer have hyperthreading on it if not running multi apps will not go smooth all i can say is get a new cpu be sure the motherboard and things support it (getting to techy) umm get a new computer with a 64bit dualcore processer with 4 gb of ram and you will be set

Originally posted by Mainter@Feb 10 2006, 12:55 PM

Cleaning out the Prefetch File

By deleting everything:

DO NOT REMOVE OR DELETE THE ->(layout.ini)<- FILE WHICH RESIDES IN XP'S PREFETCH FOLDER OR YOU WILL SLOW DOWN YOUR PC AT START UP AND WHEN YOU OPEN WINDOWS PROGRAMS

Once it is gone it can stay gone on some PC'S forever and your Prefetch Folder will never work again no matter what you do in the registry to try to rectify the problem.

so if i delete everything but that file it should help?

and how does that other program work?

ummm to run the bootvis that i gave you to dwonload this is what you have to do for it to work open the program on the top

press - Trace (a drop down box will come down

Select - next boot + driver delays

reboot the computer it will trace your bootup time and things like that

open the program back up

press - trace

select - optimize system and let it reboot again

this will optimize the system boot time

Guest Sparoism

Casek, the Looking Glass CD is a wash....keeps coming back-

Fatal Error- No screens found

I'll wait till it's a SLAX module. Thanks for the tip, all the same- looks good.

Unless you ran into this, and have a fix....

yes you can delete the files it will still be slow at first but if you install and uninstall alot of programs it will help because they are just little files that remember where the file is on your harddrive to make the program come up faster if them files you uninstalled the prefetch file still says there and uses space

also you should do a system defrag on your system you know how to do that?

Originally posted by Mainter+Feb 10 2006, 01:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Feb 10 2006, 01:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 12:28 PM

my pc takes a long fuckin time to boot up... and sometimes it gets kinda slow (mostly when i have multiple applications open at the same time)... what can i check for or do to try to speed things up a little without the risk of losin anything?

[attachmentid=29488]

now it should not matter about your boot time if you multi programs while windows is running and its slow it has to do with your memory which you have 2gb another thing it may be is the processer does your processer have hyperthreading on it if not running multi apps will not go smooth all i can say is get a new cpu be sure the motherboard and things support it (getting to techy) umm get a new computer with a 64bit dualcore processer with 4 gb of ram and you will be set

[/b]

how do i find out if it has hyperthreading?

the pc originally had only 512mb of ram.. i upgraded it to 2gb about 3 or 4 months ago and it use to fuckin move... it wasnt always this slow which is why im assuming some of it is reversable.... it doesnt drag, but it acts more like a machine with 512mb of ram than 2gb...

and trust me if i had an extra 5k to spend i would have a pc with 4gb of ram and i lot of other fun shit too...

my next few purchases are gonna be a wacom tablet and 3 17" or 19" monitors... then a new pc

Originally posted by johnny ballbags+Feb 10 2006, 01:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny ballbags - Feb 10 2006, 01:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Mainter@Feb 10 2006, 01:12 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 12:28 PM

[attachmentid=29488]

how do i find out if it has hyperthreading?

the pc originally had only 512mb of ram.. i upgraded it to 2gb about 3 or 4 months ago and it use to fuckin move... it wasnt always this slow which is why im assuming some of it is reversable.... it doesnt drag, but it acts more like a machine with 512mb of ram than 2gb...

and trust me if i had an extra 5k to spend i would have a pc with 4gb of ram and i lot of other fun shit too...

my next few purchases are gonna be a wacom tablet and 3 17" or 19" monitors... then a new pc

[/b]

right click my computer icon select prop... select the hardware tab then in the tab you will see the device mananger device mananger will come up there will be a list of things scroll down till you see processors is there a + sign if so select it how many processors are there if 2 you got hyperthreading enabled if 1 then no you do not have hyperthreading enabled

do not recommend but if you want reset the computer depending on the model press the F2 key to enter the system BIOS look at cpu info it will have hyperthreading in it if you have it if its not displayed then leave without touching anything exit without saving the system will bootand it will come up normal

now if you do have it you will beable to change it from disabled to enabled save and exit you will not notice much of a change but its there

Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 10 2006, 01:37 PM

i run defrags periodically... last one was within a week or so... doesn't make much of a difference...

i'll try that bootvis when i get home... i can get onto my pc at home from work but if i reboot thats pretty much the end of it so itll have to wait... thanks though...

what causes that Prefetch folder to get all jacked up?

that little layout file just tells the files that you run how to add themselves in the folder so it can boot faster if its gone the files will not go there which will slow down the speed thats a real basic term its gets way deeper

oh and if you do delete it i got a way to rebuild it