Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i havent even gotten past the compatibility thing yet... but i think i should be ok when it comes to handling the processor.. i have a bunch of those static bags at work so i should have that covered... and i dont really have to worry about gettin in trouble or anything, cuz, beleive it or not... i handle like 80% of the company's IT shit... im the youngest person in the co by like 20yrs and none of them no shit about computers... i used to know a lot more than i know now, cuz i had a pt job helpin this dude set up and maintain the networks at a couple schools... i lost interest after that, but then i got into graphic design so im startin to pick shit up again...

so theres my life story.. shit.. :shook: sorry about that...

so my mb is made by ASUSTeK and there site is all types of confusion... so ima keep diggin into that for now..

I have an Asus motherboard... I actually ended up calling them when the 3.0GHz didn't work on my old Asus, and they told me it wasn't compatible with that motherboard... so I bought a newer Asus board, and it worked fine.

here: Select the processor you're using

(You're going to need to know the specs on it, though... the socket type, etc.)

Guest Sparoism

Hey, Johnny-

Puppy is okay, but I've been using DamnSmallLinux now as my Live CD for a few days. It's a lot more versatile and I like the interface better (Puppy emulates Win95). There's nothing wrong with Puppy, but it's kind of a hassle to upgrade it since their package handling system is confusing for first time Linux users. DamnSmall has packages you can download from their site that self install, however. It's up to you.

The Ultima thing is a no go. My dockable CD drive kept dropping packages- it's old and fucked up, so I had to give up on it since the entire install is 3GB and it just won't work.

I just finished burning a copy of Mepis, so I'm gonna go try that out right now. I talked to some folks on another board (yes, I do go to other boards) who recommended it highly.

Casek is using a really nice version called Ubuntu, but I had trouble installing it.

I strongly advise that if you have an old computer, or are able to get one that works, to use that to try out different versions till you find one you can work with easily. And, yes, everything is free, but be prepared to spend some time getting up to speed- it can be frustrating at times, but all the mistakes you'll inevitably make will be learning experiences (provided that you learn from your mistakes, haha....).

Good luck.

Originally posted by johnny ballbags+Feb 15 2006, 06:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny ballbags - Feb 15 2006, 06:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 05:25 PM

if i'm not mistaken, you can overclock that one you have.

i love soundin like an idiot... what the fuck does overclock mean?

[/b]

overclock: This is the term for running a CPU, video card, or other component faster than its rated speed.

best to work into that slowly, don't go diving right in. that thing i mentioned above 'ai booster' might have come with your computers software. if not, you may be able to use it to overclock safely, but i read it sucks. still, could get some more speed outta your computer

Originally posted by lord_casek+Feb 15 2006, 05:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lord_casek - Feb 15 2006, 05:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by johnny ballbags@Feb 15 2006, 06:28 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 05:25 PM

if i'm not mistaken, you can overclock that one you have.

i love soundin like an idiot... what the fuck does overclock mean?

overclock: This is the term for running a CPU, video card, or other component faster than its rated speed.

best to work into that slowly, don't go diving right in. that thing i mentioned above 'ai booster' might have come with your computers software. if not, you may be able to use it to overclock safely, but i read it sucks. still, could get some more speed outta your computer

[/b]

i dont know if this means anything but it was supposed to be expandable to 1gb ram and it currently has 2gb with no problems

Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 05:37 PM

you got alot of ram. that's a good thing. your computer looks to be quite fast. why you want to go up?

planning on doing some hardcore processing? video? audio? animation?

moves pretty good but i use photoshop, illustrator, a little flash (hopefully mor in the future), tryin to learn lightwave or something similar, want to get 3dsmax and learn, & sometimes fruity loops.. and i am sometimes doin a few of these things all at once.... plus web browsing... sometimes it freezes cuz i push it too hard... dont have whole lot of patients and knowing that there is better(faster) stuff out than what im running bothers the shit out of me sometimes....

Originally posted by johnny ballbags+Feb 15 2006, 06:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny ballbags - Feb 15 2006, 06:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 05:37 PM

you got alot of ram. that's a good thing. your computer looks to be quite fast. why you want to go up?

planning on doing some hardcore processing? video? audio? animation?

moves pretty good but i use photoshop, illustrator, a little flash (hopefully mor in the future), tryin to learn lightwave or something similar, want to get 3dsmax and learn, & sometimes fruity loops.. and i am sometimes doin a few of these things all at once.... plus web browsing... sometimes it freezes cuz i push it too hard... dont have whole lot of patients and knowing that there is better(faster) stuff out than what im running bothers the shit out of me sometimes....

[/b]

most people here (myself included, esp. since i have experience with most of those programs) will tell you the same thing...your computer is plenty fast to run that stuff. as long as you streamline it, it will be more than what you need.

i'm running a amd 1.6ghz overclocked to 1.9 ghz with 1 gig of ram, a radeon 9250 pro with 128 megs of video ram, and some other peripherals...not important...but i run 3d studio max 8 just fine. no probs. also run photoshop, vegas video 5.0, and plenty of other progs that use alot of cpu and ram. no problems. your processor and ram are double what i ahve. what kind of video card? you should be doing great unless it's an onboard (on the motherboard and not a seperate agp or pci card). that kinda shit can drag on your processor. also on board soundcards do the same thing.

Originally posted by johnny ballbags+Feb 15 2006, 06:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny ballbags - Feb 15 2006, 06:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 05:35 PM

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AWDFLASF116.zip

run that and see if you have updates for your bios

whats supposed to happen when i run that?... i did and didnt see much of anything happen

[/b]

oh, i thought that was intels utility to

flash your bios without using a 3.5 floppy.

lemme find the proper update.

Originally posted by lord_casek@Feb 15 2006, 06:02 PM

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AsusUpdt70401.zip

try that one. it's a tool to update your bios through windows.

just ran it and it kicked me off my remote session so i gotta wait til i get home to finish....

i just called my girl.. i guess it says soemthig like "your system has recovered from a serious error" on the screen... idk...

im leavin work to go home and fuck with this shit now..

Guest Sparoism

Yeah, it's dead.

It's a really old (1999) laptop, with no USB boot option in BIOS. It has a USB port, but I think it's 1.1 and my stick is 2.0. If you know a way I can trick it into booting from a USB drive, I'll try it out.

No big thing. That drive was on the way out, anyway. I'm still not happy about it.