Screwston,Texas

KQuas

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by bluntman@Jan 29 2005, 09:53 AM

SkeetARSkeet.JPG

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT

catch the run nigga........ aahhh hahahaha

:innocent: iluvacid :innocent:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

guassa guassa!

yo tambien tengo pistola y yo tambien pierdo la chola.

COLORIN play some tego calderon

or some swisha house make it GETTO in this bitch.

o.k. o.k. o.k. play some cindy lauper foo

that shits dope. :haha:

Aerosol Art

Local artists practice graffiti art despite opposition

by Jenalia Moreno

Daily Cougar Staff

When most people see graffiti, they think it's just another sign of gang warfare. However, graffiti, like wall murals popular in the Mexican culture, is also artwork. It is part of the culture of hip hop.

Hip hop is made up of rap music, break dancing and graffiti art. Since its emergence in the late seventies, hip hop has gotten a bad rap. It is usually considered obscene by politicians on the "family values" pulpit.

Graffiti art is considered destruction of property by groups like Mayor Bob Lanier's Anti-Gang office. This office recently attempted to force property owners to remove graffiti from their property or risk a heavy fine.

"What really hurts me is that when people think of graffiti, they think you grab a can and write something stupid," graffiti artist Frosty Ice said. "To us, graffiti is artwork. You're expressing yourself. You're showing your artwork to the public, even though it might be against the law to do it."

Houston city officials, though, contend that graffiti must be erased so as to curb gang warfare. However, most graffiti artists, including Frosty Ice and his friends, are not in a gang. In fact, they all have jobs, and some go to college. Gang member graffiti writers typically just cross out each other's names to claim a neighborhood, Frosty Ice said.

Houston is not the only city trying to stop graffiti. In New York City, subways are coated with a chemical which rejects any kind of paint, making it impossible to make permanent marks.

In San Antonio, local politicians have supported policies which call for public corporal punishment of teenage graffiti artists, a policy comparable to the Singapore lashing of Michael Fay.

Despite such growing opposition, graffiti art has not significantly decreased in the nation. Graffiti has become a moving art, because graffiti writers are writing on trains that go all over the country. Those artists who are not "taggers," a.k.a. graffiti artists who write their names on trains with one color, often paint a "piece" or "burner" on a train car. The piece usually tells a story.

"If you're a true graffiti writer, everything you write tells a story. That's why they call them writers," former graffiti artist Craig Long said.

In Houston, Gonzo 247 and his friends, Merge 360 and Kex, make up the UPC, Undaground Production Copyright. They do not use their real names because they say it adds to the mystery of graffiti writing if they go by nicknames, so no one knows who did a piece. It also makes them less likely to be tracked by police and other authorities.

In New York, where graffiti originated, a graffiti artist sometimes used his apartment number as part of his name so that two artists who had the same nickname could be distinguished by their number. Gonzo and Merge made up their numbers.

"I picked 247 because that's the way I live, that's the way I write, that's the way I bomb," Gonzo said.

Merge said he selected 360, as in 360 degrees, because "everywhere you look I want it to be Merge."

Merge and Gonzo, both 22-year-olds, have been writing graffiti together for about six years. They co-founded a graffiti video magazine, "Aerosol Warfare," which is published every three months and covers all of the aspects of hip hop culture, but focuses on graffiti.

"Our crew, the UPC, is one of the top crews here in Houston that's doing something to promote the graffiti scene," Gonzo said.

There are not very many graffiti artists in Houston, but there are several teenagers, such as the Deceptekons, who are picking up on graffiti art.

"Once we started coming on the scene, it inspired a lot of other kids to come out and start writing," Gonzo said. "I say in about 10 or 15 years, as these kids grow up and develop their skill, Houston will have a much better graf scene."

The UPC does most of its artwork at the "Wall of Fame" located at the Calico Print Company, which is owned by businesswoman Mickey Phoenix.

Phoenix allowed the UPC to paint on one of her walls several years ago and was so impressed with their work that she gave them permission to paint on every wall around her building and even gave them an office to work out of.

"These guys have given me a whole fresh outlook on art," Phoenix said, who has been in the art business for over 21 years.

"Their talent is really endless," Phoenix said.

Phoenix said that Gonzo and Merge should utilize their artistic talents in the advertising world, but they do not want to "go commercial."

"We don't want to cross over to the fine arts part," Merge said. "We're hoping that we can push hip hop here not so much to turn it into a commercial thing, but so we can get paid."

The UPC has been commissioned to do artwork throughout Texas. They painted a skating rink and a fraternity house. They have also shown their work at local alternative art galleries such as DiverseWorks. Frosty Ice was commissioned to paint the Ocean Club as well as several other clubs a few years ago.

Although the UPC members have a place they can do their artwork, occasionally they like to go bombing, which is when artists paint graffiti on a building or train without permission.

"There's no adventure here (at the "Wall of Fame.") You can produce good artwork here, but when you go to a train yard, that's where it's real. This is just practice," Gonzo said.

Gonzo said that when he bombs a train, he experiences an adrenaline rush because he is not sure if he will be caught or if he will get to finish his piece.

Neither Frosty Ice nor any of the UPC members have been caught bombing. They do not believe there is anything wrong with writing graffiti. However, they have not garnered much support from people, especially Gonzo's mother, who has never seen his artwork but thinks that he should be doing something else with his life. Therefore, Gonzo dedicates all of his pieces to his mother.

"To me, graffiti is my life. This is what got me where I am today -- it's a passion," Gonzo said. "If I'm not drawing, I'm scheming. I'm thinking of what to do next."

.......found it while surfen.......