INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

How do you guys mix the etch stuff....

I bought some for the first time... Its like a sandy gritty paste stuff.

I mixed it with my typical rusto/paint thinner mix and shit started boiling up and smoking. Smelled real funny. Then I started having halucinations....

The stuff never really mixed well... the etch stuff clumped up and got all bubbly and crusty... Ok. So this isnt how I mix stuff with the etch cream.... how you do it? Etch + Water ??? Etch and just paint? no paint thinner?

Boiling Chemicals....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

fool that shit can cause permanent respiratory damage, what the fuck posseses you to go and sniff that? and if you were experienced enough to be handling etch, you would be more knowledgable of it, for example its a known fact to NEVER mix anything with etch. oh yeah and also, you have the wrong etch. the etch you see on windows is etch bath, you have paste etch or "Armor Etch". anyway im going to shut my mouth before i get banned off here.

Originally posted by SeOnEr@Jan 23 2005, 11:57 AM

so xylene thins your ink/paint? sounds good..where can i get it? and what is the main use for it (not graff, so i can have an excuse for buying/having it)

Yeah, there's all sorts of solvents out there that do the same thing, which is to thin your paint. The difference between each one is unknown to me. If someone could find some good information and the difference between certain chemicals, please let me know.

But basically, if you're an artist or house painter, you need things like paint thinner, xylene to thin out your oil paints. Whether or not your a graf writer or not. There's things like linseed oil. acetone, ketone. I've hadn't had the chance to speak with a informative painter .

Originally posted by emul@Jan 23 2005, 08:17 PM

How do you guys mix the etch stuff....

I bought some for the first time... Its like a sandy gritty paste stuff.

I mixed it with my typical rusto/paint thinner mix and shit started boiling up and smoking. Smelled real funny. Then I started having halucinations....

The stuff never really mixed well... the etch stuff clumped up and got all bubbly and crusty... Ok. So this isnt how I mix stuff with the etch cream.... how you do it? Etch + Water ??? Etch and just paint? no paint thinner?

Boiling Chemicals....

Hmmm...What I find so facinating about the stuff in the graf world is that not one person ever used it within the first 2 decades of graf. I haven't had the chance to ever use that etch stuff... It's can look much better than scratch tags. I might try some soon next month. The problem is that there's too many bad etchers, but here's a good etch :

[attachmentid=6574]

goodetching.jpg.5f2afca8d055e5e06e3dcc38cf0ccb4e.jpg

today i made first batch of paint/thinner ever :D..everything went smoothly, except for one thing..i have a question about my paint and where im keeping it...the paint ingredients included xylene, so should i worry about keeping it in a plastic bottle or not? will it eat through, or is it just not something to really worry about? thanks.

-seoner..

so what's the difference in uses for xylene/mineral spirits? different thinners for different bases? i know you use water for latex paint. most paint's probably say what to thin it with on the bucker. aluminum rusto says mineral spirits. homemade krink :-) anyone got a breakdown on what thinners for what kinds of paint?

Originally posted by test@Jan 24 2005, 09:01 PM

so what's the difference in uses for xylene/mineral spirits? different thinners for different bases? i know you use water for latex paint. most paint's probably say what to thin it with on the bucker. aluminum rusto says mineral spirits. homemade krink :-) anyone got a breakdown on what thinners for what kinds of paint?

latex are water based which means you can add water to it. Not really good for outdoor work.

xylene is much more agressive than using regular paint thinner. Less dangerous than using benzene. Most paints already include xylene. Some people use other methods because they are too sensitive to it's fumes.

nice container..30 for free? luck you..i plan on puttin my paint/thinner into a mayonaise jar biggrin.gif gahetto.

yeah man i went dumpster diving. not familiar? alright i will break it down for you right now. lets say there is a kinko's near you. kinkos works with alot of paper, and im sure they are left with plenty of scraps that they cant be arsed to keep and recycle, so they toss it. now you go behind the building where the trash bins and dumpsters are and rummage through it. you will find some paper that can be used for wheatpastes, stencils, etc. now with the hotel, they distribute the soda's to their customers, after they are done they throw them in the trash, and i went and recieved them. dumpster diving is a good thing.

You're better off using clear snapple bottles to see the color you're working with easier. Though i prefer wider mouths like jelly jars

though i have plenty of clear bottles as well as blues and greens, with my inks i dont care much about color. i just throw my best staining shit together and write with it. when i want a dope color i will use rusto bucket paint. why do you like wide mouth jars better? it makes it more difficult to pour into a small marker. anyway, whatever floats your boat.

im guessing he likes to stir it with a pen or whatever..personally, i just like to throw in a marble and mix it up like that..i like the small mouth jars the best, because without them, i hafta use my tiny ass squeejy thing to collect the ink, and poor it in...it takes forever :(

though i have plenty of clear bottles as well as blues and greens, with my inks i dont care much about color. i just throw my best staining shit together and write with it. when i want a dope color i will use rusto bucket paint. why do you like wide mouth jars better? it makes it more difficult to pour into a small marker. anyway, whatever floats your boat.

You'll need a funnel either way. Either to get chemicals into the bottle and out of it. Plus I use ladels, eye droppers and I like to see the color I'm working with right away from the top. Especially when color is important to me as an artist

ok im looking to make some ink or krink or something. everytime i try to make krink it turns out a lil weird i need good instructions about makin it. i dont feel like looking thru all these pages so if anyone wants to give me some new tips or instructions tell me. or if maybe someone wants to get on AIM to talk just ask for my s/n.

(and maybe if anyone has suggestions about a marker that works well to use krink or something with tell me bout that also... i dont wants huge mops either or those homemade markers that blow up in your pocket or are all messy i just want a real marker thats not too skinny not too fat that would work well with those inks.)

Originally posted by SeOnEr@Jan 25 2005, 01:01 AM

im guessing he likes to stir it with a pen or whatever..personally, i just like to throw in a marble and mix it up like that..i like the small mouth jars the best, because without them, i hafta use my tiny ass squeejy thing to collect the ink, and poor it in...it takes forever :(

I use thick wooden popsicle stirs sticks used for coffee or qtips depending what stage of mixing I'm at or if I'm experimenting. I used to use a marble but better left in cans and paint markers as they make too much noise. Plus large batches are better mixed with sticks. But you need to use a funnel. Here's my old funnel. You can see some of the various colors I made in it

[attachmentid=6616]

myfunnel.jpg.4d623cbf6e4d3bbdb324069270b6eb89.jpg

Originally posted by Pearlpaint@Jan 25 2005, 05:02 AM

You'll need a funnel either way. Either to get chemicals into the bottle and out of it. Plus I use ladels, eye droppers and I like to see the color I'm working with right away from the top. Especially when color is important to me as an artist

i aint as fancy as you, i just throw some garvey and some shoe dye into a bottle and sprinkle some additive all up in there, shit is raw.