For all you SF bay area heads. Old school landmarks now gone...

Gunm

aight, if you remember this, you're old school as fuck.....

1. If you're driving south on 1-80 past Berkeley, past university, past the albany exit and right before Powell you can look out onto the water and see some totally random wooden pilings sticking out of the water. Who remembers way back when there used to be two statues on top of those pilings: One was snoopy on top of his dog house in pilot regalia and on another one was the red barons plane.They've been gone for years now but I always remember them when i go that way.

2. Right before you get to the maze past the Powell street exit on I-80 before the maze there's a big patch of marshland. Years ago all the radical east bay artists would go out there and set up stautues,wire sculptures, politcial statements, etc... right in the middle of this big fucking marsh. i remember one vividly which was a huge pink bear in a wire cage. Then some hippie eco assholes complained it was ruinging the marshes eco-system and ended all that. Anyone rmemeber that?

This peaked around, uhm, 84 and was stopped around 86-87 I think, maybe earlier

Anyone else remember cool shit that's now a thing of the past?

Honorable mention

1.the big faded production wall in oakland along the BART tracks. You all know which one i'm talking about. Is it near Fruitvale? Who did that one?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: How About

Originally posted by KaBar2

The Nimitz Freeway? It fell down in the earthquake. I wonder what fucking genius thought that stupid shit up in the first place---a double-decker freeway in an earthquake zone. Sheesh. Dumb ass engineers.

that shits funny now, cause parts of it still exist, but they lead to no where. exit ramps that stop dead at 50 foot drop offs and pillars holding up nothing.

for the record, the freeway itself was not double decker, just the bridge, which held up pretty remarkably, and is still a marvel of modern engineering. the stories behind the construction of that thing are insane. hell, the bridge is five miles long or something totally retarded like that.

as for that wall your talking about, the 'coliseum wall', i'm sure joker probably wont happen to pop into this thread, but if he did, he's got a pretty story about being shot at while painting the wall. infact, its so good that if doesnt stop by, i'll pass along my (perhaps skewed by time) rendition of it.

man, i miss the bay. :(

There was a section of the Nimitz that was double-decker

Over on the Oakland side of the bay, about four or five miles long. I remember riding my motorcycle on that piece of shit, dodging potholes, and thinking, "Man, if we had an earthquake, and this thing fell down, I'd be fucked." That's exactly the stretch where all those cars were crushed and caught on fire. People from Oakland got ladders and rushed to the freeway to help the people trapped in their crushed cars. Man. That's some goddamned courage, right there. I remember reading a story about two mechanics that were trying to help this lady whose foot was trapped in a Honda. It was crushed down to about three feet tall. The secondary tremblors started shaking the freeway, and she started screaming in panic. The mechanics said, "Lady, lady, calm down, sweetheart. If this damned thing falls down, we're all going together. We won't leave you."

That's some real men, right there, no shit. Gotta respect that. They jacked up the concrete an inch or so with hydraulic jacks, and cut her loose laying on their stomachs, with a piece of hacksaw blade. It took hours, laying in gasoline and smelling the smoke of burning cars twenty yards away. Brave mother fuckers, no shit.

Archived