At what age...

Smart

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest willy.wonka

im 24 and i think i've hit that grown up stage...i thought that i could be a bay or a godchild, but thats all over with now.i would like to turn 27 and grow up, but i think thats when youre ready.grow up at 24, prime at 27.

"Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty."

This is one of those cool-sounding statements that came out of the Sixties that we thought was so cute. For some reason, being "over thirty" sounded light-years away when I was snickering about it.

I'm 53 now. 60 is only seven years away---Not possible! How can it be that I'm this old? Life is most definately too short.

Now the wise asses in the Boomer generation say "Don't trust anybody under thirty." They're pissed that the neo-conservatives are all pretty young (relatively speaking.) LOL. What goes around, comes around, you dope-smokin' old commies, LOL.

Re: "Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty."

Originally posted by KaBar2

I'm 53 now. 60 is only seven years away---Not possible! How can it be that I'm this old? Life is most definately too short.

I hope I die before I get old... but damn this vigorous body and will to live!

for myself, personally.

i didn't mature 'till i was 27/28

and honestly, i'm not done yet!

but for females, sexually..............ummmmm

heheheheheheheheheheheheeh

For the one who doubted that I could make the rules: I think you can vote at twelve because I remember being eleven reading about the current presidential race (i don't recall who) in my weekly reader and wondering what planet anyone was on that would vote for a republican. You most likely have to be able to read to operate a voting booth, so it stands to reason that a twelve year old can and should be able to vote on his future leader. Of course, I was born to Democrats, so maybe this doesn't make sense at all. 21 to drink, that's not going to change much, it's a good system, weeds out a lot of idiots at the bars. nobody really wants to hang out and drink with fifteen year old drunks, and there are enough underage drinking horror stories as it is. whatever way you spin it, alcohol is still the necessary evil.

Originally posted by 23578

For the one who doubted that I could make the rules: I think you can vote at twelve because I remember being eleven reading about the current presidential race (i don't recall who) in my weekly reader and wondering what planet anyone was on that would vote for a republican. You most likely have to be able to read to operate a voting booth, so it stands to reason that a twelve year old can and should be able to vote on his future leader. Of course, I was born to Democrats, so maybe this doesn't make sense at all.

I think it goes without saying that a person is still pretty heavily influenced by their parents at the age of twelve, so wouldn't this simply further the opinions of people with children? For instance- you were raised by democrats, and couldn't conceive of voting for a republican when you were twelve. Granted, I don't think most eighteen year-olds are smart enough to vote, but really, twelve? On the grounds that most kids can read at 12? Two things:

-I'd venture to say most kids can't read by twelve. I've met plenty of 18+ individuals who can't read.

-I really doubt being able to get through the funny pages should qualify someone to voter status.

Why stop there? The lowest common denominator I can think of is a birth certificate, let's make that the requirement.

21 to drink, that's not going to change much, it's a good system, weeds out a lot of idiots at the bars. nobody really wants to hang out and drink with fifteen year old drunks, and there are enough underage drinking horror stories as it is. whatever way you spin it, alcohol is still the necessary evil.
21 to drink has only been in effect since 1987, so to say it is immune to change is very short-sighted. It's not a good system, as it builds an enviroment much like Prohibition for those under the drinking age- and we all know Prohibition is one of the stupidest ideas the US has graced the planet with. We also have the highest minimun age drinking laws in the world. Think about all the underage horror stories you mentioned. How many of them start off "I was having a beer with my steak at the Outback...."? None, right? Most of them take place before or after a party or small gathering without supervision, where alcohol (illegally obtained) was consumed in large quantities. At least we wouldn't have to worry about 15 year olds drinking and driving.

What do you mean by that necessary evil thing?

You're welcome to defend your opinions.

I don't know really. I don't want eighty five year olds voting, and developmentally speaking, something happens to most twelve year olds aside from being hormonally challenged. Alot of maturing happens. I don't know, I picked a kind of arbitrary number. Do you really think many eighteen year olds would vote differently than they would at twelve. I don't think so, so, if you can read, you should vote.

On the second topic, drinking, I guess I'm speaking from a standpoint that alcohol is one the easiest drugs in the world to make. A fucking ten year old could make alcohol. Prohibition doesn't work. Period. Secondly, I'm an American, some of the reasons we have alcohol related incidents stem from our barbaric enforcement of the rule. It shouldn't be allowed in public places below 21, but the punishment definately is far greater than the crime. DWI's aside, a kid shouldn't be so afraid to tell his parents he's had too much to drink, you know, that he's sick and afraid. It's bad. Also, like you said with the Outback Steakhouse, I don't think that applies. America is in a funny place, there isn't the cultural history here that other countries have going for them, so it's harder for us to figure out what is right for us. It's complicated, I have to think on it, but right now I don't think lowering the drinking age would do anything to curb deaths as a result of alcohol.

On another note, the age that one can die for his country if he so chooses vs. the age that one can be forced to risk his life, that's a good topic of discussion. I thought of that all by myself. Maybe I start a new topic.

Haha, I didn't really have much to add.... what're you drinking?

Ummmm......Alright...... I really don't know how much differently someone who is twelve would vote as opposed to when they are eighteen. But, I don't think eighteen year olds (for the most part, there are of course a lot of exceptions) make make the best calls, so why give them another six years of voting poorly? An inherent problem with democracy is that in some way, the populace(people) makes descisions. Why is this a problem? Because people are stupid.

Not real sure what your point on drinking is.....but I'm out.

colt 45, wha, what. . .not sure, but i think people are not supid, people are uninformed. most people, that's a funny word. . .people just don't want to know things, i don't know why. for me this is my salvation, i think, i am salvaged. or mabye it's i drink i'm slobbering drunk.

Archived