MODEL TRAINS

FLESHEATER

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 4 months later...

i too have been out of the loop, but with winter approaching im sure ill be getting back into the swing of things on the model tip.

not sure what happened to mtw..this was posted on modelrailroadforums.com

A number of people originally from the ModelTrainsWeathered club are at a new weathering forum:

ProtoWeathering.com

It has quite a bit of the material and format that the old modeltrainsweathered site had on it :cool:

by similar format they mean you have to go through TSA style screening before you can view the forum..

• Like 1

What are the ideal (not too small) scales to draw on? Is there a store (chain) that carries them? Where can they be found at the best price?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is a repeated question.

gauges.gif

a general idea of model rr scales. if your just looking to draw on model trains, id say go with O or G - they are the largest - and consequently, most expensive.

the most common scale is HO which is about in the middle as scales go and they are easy to draw on, but it takes practice. after painting 1/1 scale for 20+ years i had to re-learn how to do grffiti to do pieces on HO scale trains.

IMO the best place to shop for trains is online - with a local train or hobby shop as a close second. most "chains" will only carry train sets - which are really toys (no pun intended) made for kids. although people complain about it, i have got a lot of great deals on ebay.

hope this helps..

yup, pretty much what Zed said

esp. with the HO scale cars. This is a very common scale and most affordable and available. It sounds like you want to try this out for the first time.

Flee markets, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores (thrift shops) have the 'toy' types there for sale on the cheaps. Unlike Zed mentioned above, I would encourage you to look for the 'toy' Tyco and Lifelike brands in the HO scale for affordability to try sht out. See if you like the hobby before investing your rent into it

These are generally not perfectly detailed for accuracy and are priced lower but the scale is workable

yup, pretty much what Zed said

esp. with the HO scale cars. This is a very common scale and most affordable and available. It sounds like you want to try this out for the first time.

Flee markets, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores (thrift shops) have the 'toy' types there for sale on the cheaps. Unlike Zed mentioned above, I would encourage you to look for the 'toy' Tyco and Lifelike brands in the HO scale for affordability to try sht out. See if you like the hobby before investing your rent into it

These are generally not perfectly detailed for accuracy and are priced lower but the scale is workable

co-signed. Ko's advice on getting your feet wet is actually right and exact. got some cheap stuff first. indeed!

interested in seeing whats on your workbench right now Ko? looking for some inspiration..im working on a replication of the P-nut Tracy 168 CNW 40' boxcar which by most accounts is the first freight ever done in 1974. its G scale and im really doing it more for display at shows and what not. it was kind of easy to replicate the pieces, but getting the decals that match the prototype was a serious mission. mixing the paint to match that generation of rusto cascade green was a challenge too. The metal G scale wheels are pretty expensive also. so it will be a few months before I complete it. if your not familiar with the proto it is in the Freiht Train Graffiti book on page 82.

Interesting, but I don't have that Freight Train Graffiti book. Sounds like an awesome project and in G scale, are you going to weather it too? Do you have pictures of the 'phantom' side and roof too?

That always bugs me when I do a replica

I've been into a few 1/35 and 1/25 scale projects lately. The latest 1/87 was that failed attempt at a reusable wheel mask I posted progress on in the GWRXR ...

prototype.jpg

here is the prototype. not the greatest reference pic, but considering this is probably the very first piece on a freight ever, i did it anyway. i had a G scale car that fit the bill. no way to know what was on the other side...im sure no graffiti since this is from 1974. been working on it for almost a year (off and on) and im almost finished. just have some touch up work to do now. yes it will be a full replica - weathered and everything. only problem is the car looks brown in this pic. the only proto of a 40' CNW box with yellow herald manufactured between 1960 - 1964 (which is probably the batch this car is from) is red and just looks brown because of the flik and years of weatherng. ill post the progression fliks once i get the wheels (maybe another month or two), dullcote seal it and gat a piece of track for it.

the 1/25-35 projects, are they trains?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need ideas for a 6 year old who loves trains, and he wants a model set for Christmas, but i do not know what size will be appropriate for a little kid, it also needs to be something moderately inexpensive, and something the family can build on for years. He has had train sets before we have done this with, but those are for toddlers.

Nothing like the Thomas the tank engine train sets, he has out grown that. I am looking for an inexpensive, but sturdy and versatile model train set with lots of accessories like switch tracks.

It's gonna be hard to find something decent for under 50$

Try Target or toys R us. They sometime get good shit around Christmas..

http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/set_scales

^^This is about scale. I would go with HO.

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/433-8659

^^Great tracks for kids. My kids got it with no problem.

http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/433-8860&ProductsPerPage=20&sort=id.asc&Initial=&lastcat=LifeLike&Offset=

^^This is a good start. Something with switches is gonna cost more.

I would be happy if I got this..