Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the small obscure brands have some really good paint. Plasticote is a great brand and they had some great colors in there poly. line, but good luck getting them to spray....I have used a bunch of different avos and most are good, some are shit. Zynolyte Epoxy is a pretty thick paint. Its nice to find odd colors, the problem is you normally don't find more that a couple cans of it, so its only good for designs and shit...AAP All American Paint, fuck the yuppie shit...and painters touch...I miss a time when home depot sold krylon, or better yet, a time before Home Depot aka agent orange...RIP mom and pop shops, rickles, channel and all the other good spots...

• 2 weeks later...

i've used a lot of miscellaneous brands of old paint-- and i mean outside of the bigger brands from the 60s/70s/80s (Plasti-Kote, Valspar, Derusto, IllBronze, Zylnolyte, etc). there's lots of miscellaneous brands out there, often made by one of the bigger brands or custom paint companies like Seymour or Nybco. it's very often a mixed bag, and i can't stress enough how using paint like this is NEVER guaranteed-- it's a crapshoot most of the time. even if you test it out beforehand, you have to be ready for an explosion at worst, a lot of clogged caps or a can that just gives up prematurely. if heads use 70s/80s rusto, they'll know what i mean-- those cans LOVE to eat thru rusto fat caps, even if they're brand new (the caps or the cans).

i've had really good luck with the stuff as well as utter shit-- the experience for me is to just see what i can do with something like very old, obscure paint, not that it's going to be that awesome of an experience. it just keeps me intrigued. in some cases, you find that paint from this period is very thick and it might just work for you. valves as a whole are a crapshoot on older cans. generally, older valves that aren't dying or leaking work like krylon does-- no rusto-style "lag". in most cases, if you can get a fat cap on an old can (and you need to have a variety of german caps around just in case) then it's going to be used like that.... spray the paint out quick, use it for a fill, whatever. you can RARELY count on an old can for use with a thin cap-- either it's the stock and you try to make it work like that or a fat cap. to return to valves, like i said, german caps are helpful. you can use NY or rusto on many cans, but a can like Derusto will generally have a slimmer stem than a rusto cap will fit on.

lastly, you mentioned color jet. haven't used one of these, but there's 2 points i think should be made. firstly, those colors are very very common from the early 60s- baby blue, baby pink, aqua. shades will vary by manufacturer, but those are colors that everybody made (ex: Krylon Baby Pink- Rusto Coral Pink- Derusto Shell Pink- Red Devil Pink- etc. etc.). finding them is sometimes a different matter. and yeah, you probably shouldn't use something that you don't have a lot of-- scarcity does always come first. secondly, a can like that, despite my never having used it, looks very much like it would have a danvern on it.... that's the original name for the fanspray tip that fits onto a male valve. that's a different story altogether. i have used lots of those before, even one of that style that was not a fan (the actuator hole was simply round), but then you might be limited.

hope that helps some.

damn, looks like color jet had the good colors for graffiti. im really loving all the ill colors that turn up here on brands other than rusto and krylon. how many of you have been able to try these less well known brands and what is the quality of the paint and valve like?

:D :D CANS FOUND TODAY.......

dsc07801ar9.jpg

:D :cool:

yeeah... look carefully at the Lucite.. yes, it's made by DuPont, and yes, it's got a name like PomPon Yellow (i always thought the actual thing was supposed to be "pom pom"), but if you look closer at the ingredients...

you'll see what might be the illest spray paint ingredient of all time.... "Plasticized Coconut".

i don't know what the chemists out in Delaware were thinking... I got a few colors of this line. Pompon, a bright ass blue, Harvest Gold, Avocado.... anyone know any others??

thanks joewlecome and slyle, very informative. i still use old plastikote car color/import color/truck&van/odds&ends cans if i can get my hands on them. there was a flood of them at the close out stores a few years ago but they seemed to have dried up. i only wish i had bought hundreds more 25c 6 oz. 80's plastikote car cans when i had the chance.

i also use a lot of industrial paints and shit. for years, i was millitant about always having dope colors like terex green and various euipment colors as well as mixed colors. it always shocked people that i would do a peice with nasty colors and none of it was euro paint and maybe two cans of krylon, because of the thin cap issue. the rest being stuff like curtisol, plastikote, precision color and whatnot. it's harder to do that now though. i've gone over to the dark side and now use MTN sometimes.

i still want to see more older euro paints on here like sparvar, marabu buntlack, auto k, multona, quick color, flexa, felton and any others. i know someone in europe has collections of this stuff. i've seen pictures.

you get props for knowing about Terex Green. great stuff, there's still companies that make that color for Terex equipment, because i don't think Terex has it available anymore. just gotta keep looking. there's a select few heads who don't use euro but dig up crazy ass colors-- if you are on your game, you can find newer, more obscure paint that's not old but comes in unusual colors. industrial and implement paints are often very interesting; i'd like to play with more Volvo Green, and Detroit Diesel Green. don't sleep on Sherwin Williams Industrial paints either (and don't forget a respirator!) i know slyle agrees with me here-- too many muthafuckers these days are afraid to play with different paints, to experiment with something new. the skill to develop is how you can make it work no matter what. i can only assume that people are afraid they can't handle a paint that doesn't behave like MTN or Belton.

thanks joewlecome and slyle, very informative. i still use old plastikote car color/import color/truck&van/odds&ends cans if i can get my hands on them. there was a flood of them at the close out stores a few years ago but they seemed to have dried up. i only wish i had bought hundreds more 25c 6 oz. 80's plastikote car cans when i had the chance.

i also use a lot of industrial paints and shit. for years, i was millitant about always having dope colors like terex green and various euipment colors as well as mixed colors. it always shocked people that i would do a peice with nasty colors and none of it was euro paint and maybe two cans of krylon, because of the thin cap issue. the rest being stuff like curtisol, plastikote, precision color and whatnot. it's harder to do that now though. i've gone over to the dark side and now use MTN sometimes.

i still want to see more older euro paints on here like sparvar, marabu buntlack, auto k, multona, quick color, flexa, felton and any others. i know someone in europe has collections of this stuff. i've seen pictures.

benzene is the really bad stuff in some industrial paints. it burns your throat and nose and stings your eyes. i blew though a few hundred cans of BD brand paint in 16oz cans a few years back and that was an issue. i started wearing goggles in addition to a mask and gloves.

some older cans have methylene chloride which has a very distinct smell and is very bad for you.

i'm going to try to post some pics of plastikote/industrial/equipment/car paints on here when i get the chance.

lots of ill oranges and dark orangy brownish funky yellows for all the construction/farm equipment. cabinet gold(ie harvest gold), cummins beige, komatsu teal plus basic colors like red, black, white, silver, osha colors, waste management green, JD green & yellow, machine green(also a MTN color). actually, a lot of the old krylon colors were equipment colors. most of these are still available in paint that's way thicker than krylon. thousands of colors of touch up paint for every conceivable consumer product or building material are avaible from supply houses and distributors. precision color for example.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd really like to see how it comes out from these soup cans...

Yo Verse, Imported Slyle, any Christmas picks for us?

judging by the tip, which is a rubber bubble protruding at the top of a brass ferrule (on the canisters that i've seen), it looks like the spray is a flat fan. you have to cock the can down at a 45 degree angle too because it won't spray over the rims of the canister if you hold it straight.

but i wouldn't try them out unless i ended up with a lot of them and those are not easy to hunt down. those cans are circa 50's/late 40's---- but the ones i've seen all seem to have their pressure still. who's to say that even with their pressure, the valve won't break when you do try to spray it? nothing like an exploding can of 60 year old paint like an exploding can of 60 year old paint that you'll never find again.

bump for that Sheffield canister, that's a new one. the Lustre in that picture i found originally.

bump for that Sheffield canister, that's a new one. the Lustre in that picture i found originally.

Hey I was there too...and those cans were not for sale, but if you wait a few minutes the old guys memory is sure to fad a lil....and I still think that spot has more...

Archived