Stenciling 101

FR8 LIFE

banksy.co.uk is a dope site. personally i use bristol paper for my stencils. photo paper is expensive in that it is difficult to rack, but you can get 100 sheets of rc paper fpr $25.

and im not really down with the exacto. i use olfa, or utility knives. with those you can break the tip off when it gets dull and keep on cutting, no hassle of getting blades.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started off making stencils using cardboard and a box cutter. What works best, I've found now is a small blade (I use and Xacto #11) and plain manila folders. I tried hat stencil plastics and it was just way too weak for any good detail. Just like any type of graff it's all about practice and developing your own style.

I think the best stencils are the ones that are just as much about location as the stencil itself.

Post some stencil flicks!

multi-layered stencils are definitely helpful if you find yourself cutting out more intricate designs. start with your most abundant color. then go to your secondary color (if any) then highlights, shadows, and you should always end it off with the outline/fine detail so that it doesn't get covered up by your larger areas of color. if you have parts that aren't going to work.... just connect them to your negative space somehow. i find it very helpful to draw a frame on whatever surface i'm cutting, that way everything will be linked to the sides and the stencil will stay pretty sturdy.. and you will always have a place to connect something to. you can go into some crazy details with single layer stencils if you plan em out right.. but i'm not going to give away all the secrets. they just come to you with practice.

I love stencils. I go to an art (high) school and there are a shitload of graffers and stencil artists. I started doing some stencils myself, and when i start getting them up (the good ones) i show flicks. I personally use manila folders, and a #11 X-Acto blade. Since i kno manilas wont last forever, i will usually put two on top of each other and tape the sides so it wont slide. Also i spray glue and mount an image i do on paper onto the folder so its easier to cut (instead of drawing right on, you have a guide in case you want to outline the drawing onto more manilas.) After i finish cutting, the paper is fairly easy to remove without the paper ripping or anything.

Originally posted by incognito

ok this is all nice and i understand how you cut it and everything... but what about like.. the little pieces in the middle? how do those stay there? like the pieces that arent attached to the frame...

Draw the whole thing out first and everything you want to cut out colored in black, then try to make all the black connected. Then figure out what parts will fall away if you dont put a small gap in the line. For example, an eyeball: Instead of cutting out the whole circle "O", cut it like this "( )" , if you catch my drift. Then you can even add a little pupil attached to one of the lines or whatever. Just look at it, think of negative space and figure it out. Its not that difficult once you get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if you can't figure it all out, and it's causing such a fuss.. just cut out a circle in a seperate sheet of whatever you're using, and paint that onto what you've already got... i'm sure you'll figure it out though.. and while the topic of supplies is up.. i haven't seen many people mention contact paper (maybe they have, but i'm rarely online anymore)... just lay some of that over top of what you're cutting your stencil out of.. and you have a nice waterproof layer over the top.. resulting in a longer lasting stencil.. that's not the only use though.. mess around with that and see what you can come up with... i also like the heavy duty swivel knives.. mmmmmmmm... you get some sexy curves with that blade...

Originally posted by yeaaaah baby

my favorite stencil material is the plastic cover to spiral bound notebooks. its really durable, but cuts smooth like buttah.

thats a really good idea! i bet you could just roll that right up without damaging the stencil and it would bounce right back into shape when you need to use it.

the only problem is that i havent had much luck with cutting plastics. the lines dont always come out straight.

what would you recomend when cutting a plastic like that for good blade control, and clean cuts?

HAS ANY ONE EVER TRIED MAKING A STENCIL OF ANY PHOTO BY PUTTING IT IN (PAINT) THE PROGRAM IN YOUR COMPUTER AND GOING TO IMAGE AT THE TOP OF UR MONITOR AND USING INVERT COLOR IT WORKS PRETTY GOOD SO U CAN GET A HANDLE ON THE STENCIL.

:confused:

NOT EVEN IN AN EYE EXAM THEY AINT LOOKIN FOR I

Re: stencil ideas

Originally posted by I AM THE END

i want to cut a stencil of a face and theres spots that if i cut will make it miss sections. any ideas on how to cut i know an art teacher once told me that some times you need to use two stencils for just on imaige. any one else agree?

I'm on the same question as this guy. I've got a couple of stencil ideas in mind but obviously when i go to cut them, there's gonna be mad lines inside the negative sections (i.e. black space) that simply can't be connected to the positive sections. A white pupil in the middle of a dead black eye on a character for example.

Do i need to create two stencils for a job like that?

window screen

Use window screens( the screen to prenvent bugs from going in the house ) and window scealant ( i dunno the name for that, it the stuff you put around your window in winter to prevent the cold from going in ) then you can make stencil in which you dont have to worry about falling....you can even do a stencil in cross hatching.....

enjoy this....

Originally posted by rinse

^^^not sure what your saying.

is it a drawing of yours or a photo image?

okay rinse, check the flick below...

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/csaa/csaa2323/pixs/kata.jpg'>

you see where the guy's head is and then there's the profile of his face that just seems to be floating in the middle....how is this effect achieved? obviously if you cut out the space around the profile of his face, there should be no way for that piece to just be suspended there.

Do you need to do a two layer stencil then?

Originally posted by LENS

okay rinse, check the flick below...

http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/csaa/csaa2323/pixs/kata.jpg'>

you see where the guy's head is and then there's the profile of his face that just seems to be floating in the middle....how is this effect achieved? obviously if you cut out the space around the profile of his face, there should be no way for that piece to just be suspended there.

Do you need to do a two layer stencil then?

that is definately a single layer, you can tell by the overspray.

i am guessing that the head is connected to the rest of the stencil at the back of the neck just under the guy's hair line if not also at the front of the face somewhere as well. if your bridges are thin enough and you dump enough paint over them, the paint will bleed under them.

but yes you can use a second layer to hide your bridges although if you bridge in the right places they tend not to stand out as much and you wont have to worry about them.

Archived