Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Walk and Don't Look Back: The Peter Tosh Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Oi Vei, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Oi Vei

Oi Vei Member

REST IN PEACE

[​IMG]

In my opinion, Peter Tosh deserves so much more recognition in the music world than he received during his lifetime. Originally a member of the Wailers, the famous reggae band which eventually changed its name to "Bob Marley and the Wailers", Peter Tosh was largely overshadowed by the fame his friend and fellow bandmate Bob Marley received. As the musician responsible for making reggae music a worldwide phenonomenon, Bob Marley is often credited as being the greatest reggae musician of all time, though this is simply not true. While Bob Marley was indeed an amazing musician, many people tend overlook many other reggae greats, such as Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, and Black Uhuru, when listening only to Bob Marley's music. Not long before Bob Marley's death in the late '70s, Peter Tosh split from the Wailers and started his own musical career, which I think yielded better music than Bob Marley's entire musical career. During the late '70s and '80s, Peter Tosh released many high quality albums, which include the landmark "Legalize It" and "Equal Rights", two legendary albums that have been unfortunately neglected by non-reggae listeners. Sadly, on September 11th, 1987, Peter Tosh was shot to death by three assailiants, only one of whom was ever brought to justice. But Peter Tosh lives on through his music! This is a tribute to an amazing man and musician... Rest in peace!

[​IMG]

2. Spitfire15

Spitfire15 12oz Loyalist

3. ego maniac

ego maniac Elite Member

RIP Pete Tosh....

yehhhhhhhh.... why DONT sitcom celebrities ever get done for.?..

4. Issac Brock

Issac Brock Elite Member

Yes, I love the album legalize it.

RIP

5. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

stepping razor booiii!

6. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

really though, he's not better than Marley as a historical figure but as a musician they are definately in the same arena. I love Tosh.

Also, only one of the gunmen was 'brought to justice' is kinda misleading in Jamaica. "They" never caught the man who tried to kill Marley but we all know who the body hanging in the woods by trench town. There was even evidence of a 'trial' in that case so... there's justice and there's Trench Town Justice.

Also, Tosh's woman was a voodoo bitch and I'm not so sure you could call what happened an 'assassination' per se... definately a murder tho, I can remeber the day it happened and I saw it on the news.

Don't sleep on Sly & Robbie

7. spectr

spectr Guest

tosh rocks...
    rip

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

marley died in 81, not in the 70's.
    who cares if stupid college kids dont appreciate peter tosh? do you really want to walk into a frat party and see his face on the t shirt of a kid who will be date-raping some poor girl in 2 hours? no thanks.

9. lack of interest

lack of interest New Jack

word seeking.def one of the greats,along with lee perry,u-roy,augustus pablo,king tubby and all the original rockers.

10. transparent

transparent Senior Member

fuck that nigga i smoke wayyyyyy more blunts than him b