Walk and Don't Look Back: The Peter Tosh Appreciation Thread

Oi Vei

REST IN PEACE

Pete1_Main.jpg

In my opinion, Peter Tosh deserves so much more recognition in the music world than he received during his lifetime. Originally a member of the Wailers, the famous reggae band which eventually changed its name to "Bob Marley and the Wailers", Peter Tosh was largely overshadowed by the fame his friend and fellow bandmate Bob Marley received. As the musician responsible for making reggae music a worldwide phenonomenon, Bob Marley is often credited as being the greatest reggae musician of all time, though this is simply not true. While Bob Marley was indeed an amazing musician, many people tend overlook many other reggae greats, such as Peter Tosh, Jimmy Cliff, and Black Uhuru, when listening only to Bob Marley's music. Not long before Bob Marley's death in the late '70s, Peter Tosh split from the Wailers and started his own musical career, which I think yielded better music than Bob Marley's entire musical career. During the late '70s and '80s, Peter Tosh released many high quality albums, which include the landmark "Legalize It" and "Equal Rights", two legendary albums that have been unfortunately neglected by non-reggae listeners. Sadly, on September 11th, 1987, Peter Tosh was shot to death by three assailiants, only one of whom was ever brought to justice. But Peter Tosh lives on through his music! This is a tribute to an amazing man and musician... Rest in peace!

peter_tosh.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

really though, he's not better than Marley as a historical figure but as a musician they are definately in the same arena. I love Tosh.

Also, only one of the gunmen was 'brought to justice' is kinda misleading in Jamaica. "They" never caught the man who tried to kill Marley but we all know who the body hanging in the woods by trench town. There was even evidence of a 'trial' in that case so... there's justice and there's Trench Town Justice.

Also, Tosh's woman was a voodoo bitch and I'm not so sure you could call what happened an 'assassination' per se... definately a murder tho, I can remeber the day it happened and I saw it on the news.

Don't sleep on Sly & Robbie

marley died in 81, not in the 70's.

who cares if stupid college kids dont appreciate peter tosh? do you really want to walk into a frat party and see his face on the t shirt of a kid who will be date-raping some poor girl in 2 hours? no thanks.