Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Using copyrighted music in films

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by CIPHER_one, Mar 24, 2004.

1. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

I am pretty sure that you need permission to use copyrighted music in film, but how come I see skate videos with tons of pop music in them? I doubt they always get permission.

2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

you just answered your own question. they don't get permission

the only ones that have permission are the ones that actually have a tracklisting in the credits

3. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

Depends, i can tell you transworld and thrasher make sure to get the rights.. but the smaller companys i really doubt.. well girl maybe..

4. duh-rye-won

duh-rye-won Member

most record labels are happy about the exposure of the music in skate vids. i remember reading an article about this in transworld.

5. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

http://www.iit.edu/~makogre/atdi%20pics/atbw2.jpg'>

"Farting on a snare drum."

6. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

well it makes sense that its just more exposure...but I'd hate to get fined or some shit.

7. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

simple... I deal with this shit daily.

you need legal clearance from the band/artist to use their works in any form. Generally if you're making an 'art project' like some indy film about addiction or whatever, the bands will donate the rights. If you have friends who make tunes, ask them for some songs. I get a cat I know to write me hiphop beats for shows and I get him a bit of money for it. Like $200 a track for what I actually use. For the 10 he makes I might use 2.

essentially it comes down to money.

if you are going to make money from the project (like a skate video with medium - large distribution) you'l have to pay for the music. If you're making a home video that only 20 of your pals will see and you dont make money off the project, there's really nothing the artists can do (short of a seist and desist order) I say go for it, but keep all the masters and edit lists so if you have to pull the music, you can do so without having to recreate the video from scratch.

8. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

thanks kilo. I'm a little unsure just because I'm going to most likely be submitting it to some film festivals. Is that something I might want to get permission for?

Man, it appears as though you have a pretty sweet job whatever it is.

9. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

This kind of stuff is covered in great detail

On filmmaker's message boards and websites. Most well-known music is copywrited and you must pay royalties if you use it, BUT, if you're a student, they usually let you have it for free or form a nominal cost. If you are submitting the video to a film festival, they charge a different sort of fee. Low if you lose, but if you win and sell your movie to MGM or Searchlight or somebody, you have to pay a lot more.

You could use an unknown musician playing unknown music--make sure he signs a legal release.

You could use music in the public domain.

You could write/perform your OWN music.

You could just use it and don't pay shit. But if your movie is an unexpected super cult hit, you're going to wish you had gotten permission, because the guy who owns the royalties is going to sue the shit out of you and get all your profits.

10. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

11. metallix

metallix Elite Member

this is a good thread

12. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

my philosophy on this is if you want to make a name for yourself
    in your city, and you plan on staying there and doing more work,
    then help out other people in your city, like a local
    producer or band, and put them on. be professional and usually it's win/win.
    next thing you know you have a new ally and networker for your next project.

13. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

word, sounds good. thanks for the help.

14. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

it's all about what BROWSz said:

make the connections with local talent and you will be forever rewarded with interesting projects and collaborations. Plus more work can come your way thought it.