Using copyrighted music in films

CIPHER_one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

simple... I deal with this shit daily.

you need legal clearance from the band/artist to use their works in any form. Generally if you're making an 'art project' like some indy film about addiction or whatever, the bands will donate the rights. If you have friends who make tunes, ask them for some songs. I get a cat I know to write me hiphop beats for shows and I get him a bit of money for it. Like $200 a track for what I actually use. For the 10 he makes I might use 2.

essentially it comes down to money.

if you are going to make money from the project (like a skate video with medium - large distribution) you'l have to pay for the music. If you're making a home video that only 20 of your pals will see and you dont make money off the project, there's really nothing the artists can do (short of a seist and desist order) I say go for it, but keep all the masters and edit lists so if you have to pull the music, you can do so without having to recreate the video from scratch.

This kind of stuff is covered in great detail

On filmmaker's message boards and websites. Most well-known music is copywrited and you must pay royalties if you use it, BUT, if you're a student, they usually let you have it for free or form a nominal cost. If you are submitting the video to a film festival, they charge a different sort of fee. Low if you lose, but if you win and sell your movie to MGM or Searchlight or somebody, you have to pay a lot more.

You could use an unknown musician playing unknown music--make sure he signs a legal release.

You could use music in the public domain.

You could write/perform your OWN music.

You could just use it and don't pay shit. But if your movie is an unexpected super cult hit, you're going to wish you had gotten permission, because the guy who owns the royalties is going to sue the shit out of you and get all your profits.

Guest BROWNer

my philosophy on this is if you want to make a name for yourself

in your city, and you plan on staying there and doing more work,

then help out other people in your city, like a local

producer or band, and put them on. be professional and usually it's win/win.

next thing you know you have a new ally and networker for your next project.

it's all about what BROWSz said:

make the connections with local talent and you will be forever rewarded with interesting projects and collaborations. Plus more work can come your way thought it.

Archived