R.I.P. Gregorio Fuentes

Smart

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

no, it's 'the old man' from 'The Old Man and the Sea' by Hemingway... Gregorio was a truly heroic man. In life, as in the book, he was a fisherman, if you see any pictures of him, look at his hands and arms, they tell the story of a lifetime on the ocean in a small boat. I know that he was still fishing regularly about 15 years ago...

I don't believe he ever came to the United States, him being Cuban and all...

Guest imported_Tesseract

RIP Gregorio,

...weird i saw an interview of the old man like a month ago.Mostly talkin about his life and his friendship with Heminway.

RIP

it would not be an understatement to call them best friends, Hemingway maintained a steady stream of corespondence until is death...

the book is literally a portrait of Gregorio, Hemingway met him in Cuba, and Gregorio taught him how to fish Cuban waters, passing down centuries old knowledge... this was not lost on Hemingway. Of all the people Hemingway met in the war and in Europe afterwards... Gregorio was the person who became Hemingway's hero. A ham-n-egger who fished as much for love as for food.

Hemingway shot himself in the face with a shotgun, while his family was upstairs. It was at the house in Idaho where Hemingway spent most of his time after being recalled from Cuba. He was bitterly depressed about having to leave the island.

He also believed that he was being followed and investigated by McCarthy's FBI. This was denied by the government. It was later proven that he was under investigation by the House Un-American Activities Bureau. This was said to be due to Hemingway's initial support of Castro, even though, at the time, Castro enjoyed the support of the American government as well.

Another fact, later proven true as government documents were declassified, was that during WWII Hemingway was a spy for the U.S. navy. His 'fishing' boat was also fitted with all sorts of sub-scoping devices. His 'fishing trips' were also reconnaissance missions as well. I think these two things help illustrate some pretty solid facts to support Hemingway's idea that his government had turned against him, dismissed at the time as the ravings of a man going mad.

At the same time, Hemingway was seeking psychiatric treatment for the depression. It was suggested that maybe he was getting paranoid because he kept seeing FBI guys following him and swore his phones were tapped, all true... So, electro-shock therapy was administered. EST was the 'new thing' for psychiatrists at the time. It was said to create a 'mild state of placid catatonia'. Of course, it basically just fried synapses. This was also, understandably, a period of low creativity for him as well. All of these things happened in the 3 (or so) years after his return from Cuba and ended in his death.

So, while he undeniably commited suicide, I would have you believe that our freindly government had a hand in it as well...

Archived