falling upon artistic influences.......

BeetNIK

im posting this here since it would be completely slept on in third rail where i guess it should be. anyhow,

Im interested in one or two (or more), of your artistic influences, graff, non graff or both, and how you fell a upon them. Please include information about when you found it, how strongly it affected you, and if possible post images. I am demanding such things because i like threads where everybody contributes something cool or meanigful not just a smiley or something, heres mine:

fall semester 2002 i was taking digital imaging 2 and we had to do artist reports on digital photographers. we had to go into their process and style and such, i found the whole thing quite boring and stupid because everybody i found through google searches sucked, a whole lot. until i ran into viktor koen. i think i saw one of his peices in juxtapoz and i checked out his website. he has some elite skill with photoshop, and some dope ass ideas for his work. I love his series on the corporate bug characters, and the alphabet series on deformed children. i think thats what is was on. But what he got me into was drawing from my photos, then fuckin with em in photoshop and drawing those, then painting them. I havent done a whole lot of the painting, i actually just started but i think its going to be a big part of my stuff inthe future. check it out

number two isnt as interesting, its just my extensis suitcase, and all the fonts i got from my computer/design nerd freinds who came over andd put em on my hard drive. whenever i am drawing im pretty much tweaking fonts for the most part. lately at least. I havent been doing this for too long but these ones are important i think.

Im thinking this thread will dwindle and fail, is anybody gonna be a good 12ozer and surprise me?? I was hoping i might get to see some of jokers electrical drawings if this lasts...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I have many, many influences, so i'll just toss three random ones:

1) H.R. Giger. I don't really care all that much for his stuff nowadays, but when I was 13-14 I spent untold hours studying his work and attempting to duplicate it. I must have drawn easily over a thousand Aliens, which undoubtedly set the foundation for developing my own style.

2) Doug Chiang. Robot master extraordinaire. I couldn't draw a robot to save my life until I saw his work for the new Star Wars movies. It all suddenly became super clear, and my drawing ability literally tripled overnight.

3) Vaughan Oliver. Balanced my love for slickness (brought upon from Giger) and steered me towards grimyness, especially in my digital work.

frank kozik- saw his work on the street a lot, then met someone who collects his posters... his use of line and color has been a big influence on everything i do these days...

grime- his paintings are awesome... and he blends traditional style with his own style seamlessly in tattoos... and every time i start thinking my script is lookin real good, i can take a look at the small little name he tattooed on a friend of mine and i realize i still have a long long way to go... totally aside from graff, grime is one of my favorite artists...

that's all i can really think of right now... but those are also the only two that really have a noticable influence on what i do...

just a few I like...

Norman Rockwell

Moriko Mori (if you're into digital photography, check her out, if you haven't already)

Ryan Schiedt (an up-and-comer)

Joe Madureira (comicbook artist)

Al Hirschfeld, David Levine, Sebastian Kruger ( all caricature artists)

there's more, but too many to name...

as far as graffiti goes, i started out being influenced by miste from france after seeing some of his work which was simple enough to be read without throwing in an unneccesary amount of kicks and arrows. other than whatever i saw on the train riding back and forth between the city had my eyes glued to the window the whole time. lately ive been really liking anything new that i see from joker/zelot/kema. very inspiring stuff there.

as for the more "fine art" stuff that im into i was really into the photos of a man named clyde butcher i believe. i saw some thing touting him as the "ansel adams of the everglades" and i can see it. i actually like his work better than adams. but lately i've been more into the work of cartier-besson. definetly awesome shit. i was never into the "pretty/posed studio shots" so avedons studio work is the only studio work that i really enjoy. and as of the past few months or so i've been very into the graphic design work of the neasden control centre and pars.

www.neasdencontrolcentre.com

check it out.

Archived